These sweet potato black bean burrito bowls are the perfect vegetarian meal to add to your weekly meal plan. Delicious cilantro lime rice piled high with black beans, roasted sweet potatoes, and vegetables. Trust me, you’ll go crazy over this bowl!
This post is sponsored by Mrs. Grimes beans. All opinions are 100% my own.
Do you love burrito bowls as much as I do?
They are like a big bowl of comfort all cozied up together just begging to be eaten.
Sometimes I like to smother mine in Greek yogurt ranch (don’t you judge me! I’m from Ohio, we love ranch) but this time I made my own homemade cilantro vinaigrette that is seriously THE BEST.
If you’re a cilantro lover you’ll go crazy over this vinaigrette.
PLUS because I left out the meat (you can totally add chicken or shrimp!) I opted to throw in some Mrs. Grimes black beans for added fiber and protein.
And because Mrs. Grimes beans are made vegetarian-friendly this dish stays 100% vegetarian.
If you leave off the little bit of cotija at the end you can go full vegan!
This meal makes 4 servings but if you’re like me you’ll eat 2 of those servings right away because you can’t stop shoveling all this goodness in your mouth.
There is nothing better than citrus rice mixed with roasted vegetables and black beans.
It’s like someone took the flavors of the southwest and pulled them together in a big bowl.
Can I use a different bean?
Of course! I really happen to like black beans here because it feels like it blends well with all the flavors I have brought into the burrito bowl.
However, it’s important to sometimes use what we have on hand so I think pinto, white beans, or even kidney beans would well here.
I actually don’t eat a ton of meatless meals but I’ve been more conscious about adding them the past couple of months.
I love meals like this because I really get to showcase other flavors that often get relegated to being a side dish or thrown in for bulk. Aka: black beans and sweet potatoes.
In these sweet potato black bean burrito bowls, the sweet potatoes are super seasoned and the black beans are kept simple to showcase their creaminess and obvious amazing flavor.
PLUS if you’re looking for a deal you can pick up a coupon for Mrs. Grimes Beans!
You can find them at Hy-Vee, Fareway and select Walmart stores!
Don’t forget to drizzle on all the vinaigrette at the end after you put together your bowls.
And if you’re looking to really bulk up the meal you can even throw in some Mrs. Grimes red kidney beans!
Love these sweet potato black bean burrito bowls?
Why not try a few of my other delicious meatless meals?
- Want a steak like dish? Try my Parmesan Cajun Spiced Cauliflower Steak.
- Craving a creamy pasta? Try my Creme Fraiche Mushroom Gnocchi.
- Need a salad that is also a meal? Try my Lentil Couscous Goat Cheese Salad.
- Love sweet and spicy? Try my Air Fryer Sweet Chili Tofu.
- Is chili calling your name? Try my Vegan Lentil Chili.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, skin scrubbed clean
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3-1/2 cup water
- 2 cups uncooked white long grain rice
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can Mrs. Grimes black beans, drained and rinsed
- Crumbled cotija cheese, for topping, optional
- Minced cilantro, for topping, optional
- 2 cups packed cilantro with stems
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cube your sweet potatoes into 2-bite sized chunks and add to a large mixing bowl along with the sliced red bell peppers, green bell peppers, and onions.
- Drizzle with olive oil, chili powder, kosher salt, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and onion powder. Toss to evenly coat.
- Add vegetables to a Silpat or parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Remove from the oven.
- While the potatoes are roasting add water to a medium-sized pot and set over high heat.
- Once the water starts to boil add in the rice, cover, and reduce heat.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is fully cooked.
- Remove the rice from the heat and stir in lime juice and minced cilantro, stir to combine and set aside.
- To assemble bowls add rice and top with black beans, sweet potatoes, peppers, onions, garnish with crumbled cotija cheese, and minced cilantro, and drizzled with homemade cilantro vinaigrette.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 464Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 478mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 9gSugar: 9gProtein: 9g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.