Vanilla Sugar Peach Crisp

I will admit this. I love mason jars. They are cute, functional and totally crafty. Even though I don’t have a crafty bone in my body I see a mason jar and I feel like freaking Martha Stewart.

My love for mason jars and Martha Stewart helped me put this post together. As I stared at a table full of jars I realized I should start cooking inside these adorable little vessels. Who doesn’t love a little edible on the go container? Plus, again, it’s really super cute.

As I rooted around in my pantry I found a little neglected bag of vanilla sugar that was begging to be used. So I decided I would pair it with the few remaining peaches sitting on my counter. It was a match made in heaven. The type of match that will last forever. It’s no summer love, it’s a forever love. Great. Now I have Summer Lovin’ stuck in my head. Thanks John Travolta.

So, back to mason jars, peaches and vanilla sugar. I used my little 4 ounce jelly jars but really use any smaller sized mason jar you see fit. I’m sure they will all work. For the topping I used one of my favorites. It’s from Ina Garten and it’s the bomb. Who else loves Ina Garten? I think it’s my dream to get invited to one of her little dinner parties. At the end of the party I imagine we would all sit around awkwardly giggling and talking about Jeffery’s love of roast chicken.

I’m so random today. Make the crisp. Eat the crisp. Love the crisp. Also, don’t forget to love the mason jars. They are super cool.

Vanilla Sugar Peach Crisp

2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter – melted
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Source: Filling by Nutmeg Nanny and topping from Ina Garten

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.

Toss peaches with the vanilla sugar, pie filling enhancer or flour and pinch of salt. Let them sit for at least 5 minutes to release juices. Spoon equal amounts into small 4 ounce clean mason jars or ramekins. Top equally with topping and bake for 20-25 minutes until the crisp is golden brown and delicious.

Tip:I put my little jars on a small silcone pat lined baking sheet before baking. This not only stopped them from sliding but if they overflowed it made for easy cleaning.

*No vanilla sugar? Just use 3 tablespoons of regular white sugar and add one of the following: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 teaspoon vanilla paste or 1/2 scraped vanilla bean.
**You can always substitute 1 tablespoon flour if you prefer.

For Topping:
Combine the sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in the melted butter and then the flour. Mix well and set aside

15 Responses to “Vanilla Sugar Peach Crisp”

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — July 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Come live with me. Make me food. I don’t mind your randomness. :)

Amanda @ The Challah Blog — July 23, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Looks DELICIOUS!

hungryandfrozen — July 23, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I love Mason Jars too – so beautiful! And yet functional. Happy sigh.

Love the cute reflection of you in the bowl – I’m always appearing in serving spoons and things in my photos!

Finally: the recipe sound delicious, and looks adorable!

Joanne — July 23, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I shall not merely love the crisp, I shall WORSHIP the crisp! And I also need to get more mason jars in my life. I feel so inadequate without them! :P

AmyRuth — July 24, 2012 at 1:14 am

I too love Ina. Upon my little shelves are a handful of colorfully covered books by Ina. Yep and her giggly demeanor on her show is very endearing. Don’t you think? I love her show and I’m pretty sure she would like this dessert with whipped cream as well. can’t wait to try this, embarrassingly I do not own mason jars. Guess I will have to hit some thrift stores or garage sales. (for fun)
    AmyRuth

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 24, 2012 at 8:24 am

While I do love Ina and her recipes (they never fail) her doting on Jeffrey makes me want to gag. This lovely peach deliciousness however, does not ;)

Elizabeth @Mango_Queen — July 24, 2012 at 11:31 am

Lovely photos! And all those peaches in the mason jars ? The look divine! Thanks for sharing. What a great idea for peaches in season :-)

Blond Duck — July 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Cute, little, tasty–what’s not to love!

Shannon — July 25, 2012 at 5:13 pm

mason jars are pretty much where it’s at ;) this peach crisp looks absolutely amazing…. YUM.

grace — July 26, 2012 at 4:28 pm

i love seeing those flecks of vanilla bean! terrific crisp, brandy!

Blond Duck — July 26, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Have you ever tried pie in mason jars?

Veronica — July 27, 2012 at 2:43 am

Your photos are making me drool and the peaches are so pretty with the little black flecks! Love your randomness, btw. :)

Daria — August 23, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Have you frozen these little beauties? Any recommendations?

1. Pingback: 50+ Recipes with Peaches Recipe Round-up | Crunchy Creamy Sweet