Baked Garlic Buffalo Wings

I have a confession. I ate chicken wings six out of the seven days last week. I should probably be ashamed. Please don’t judge me. I just have a problem with food. Sometimes I get on a kick and then I can’t stop eating the same food for days at a time. Am I the only one? Please tell me someone else will eat the same food…Day. After. Day.

These homemade wings are perfectly crispy and the best part is that they are baked and have no breading! The recipe I used was based from one of my favorite people ever, Alton Brown. I love that man. I think my dream cooking day would be Alton Brown on my left and Ina Garten on my right. Could you imagine? Ina would be there in her denim glory saying things like “good vanilla” and “how bad can that be?” Alton would be there with his crazy flame decal mixer saying things like “golden brown and delicious” and “oh bother!” I would be there just staring in disbelief that these two people are in my kitchen. Then I would cringe with embarrassment because they would open my oven and the handle would fall off. I swear my oven hates me. That damn handle just won’t stay put.

Baked Garlic Buffalo Wings

Yield: 12 chicken drumettes

Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes

12 chicken drumettes (6 wings and 6 legs)
4 ounces unsalted butter
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup hot sauce (I like Frank's Red Hot)

Source: Slightly adapted from Alton Brown

Lay paper towels down onto a rimmed baking sheet. Add a cooling rack (one that fits the rimmed baking sheet would be best) and set aside.

Add 2 inches water to the bottom of a pot, add in a metal steamer basket. Cover with a lid and when it starts boiling turn the heat down to medium and add the wings into the steamer basket. Steam the wings for 10 minutes.

Once the wings have been steamed add them to the cooling rack and pat dry. Add wings to the refrigerator and let the wings skin dry.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Replace the paper towels with parchment paper or a silpat. Add wings to the oven and bake on one side for 20 minutes. Flip the wings and cook on the other side for 20 minutes.

Once the wings are almost done baking start the sauce. In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add in minced garlic and sauté for a few minutes until the garlic is fragrant but do not let it burn.

Take the pan off the heat and whisk in hot sauce. Whisk the sauce until it is combined and creamy. Add wings to the sauce and turn to coat. Serve immediately.

Note: This recipe can be easily doubled...or tripled :)

25 Responses to “Baked Garlic Buffalo Wings”

Miriam @ Overtime Cook — March 19, 2013 at 12:22 am

These look amazing Brandy. I love wings and thanks to you I am drooling at my computer here. ;)

• Brandy replied: — March 19th, 2013 @ 11:00 pm

Thank you Miriam! They are so good. I probably make them too often…haha.

Aggie — March 19, 2013 at 6:30 am

I go in eating spurts too, days in a row :)

I love buffalo everything, the garlic makes it even better! My husband loves chicken wings, he would be very happy with a plate of these.

• Brandy replied: — March 19th, 2013 @ 11:03 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who can eat the same thing for days :)

Erica — March 19, 2013 at 7:57 am

They look fantastic! Alton totally rocks. Hes a bit odd- but totally a food genius. And yes- I totally get on food kicks and eat the same thing on repeat!

• Brandy replied: — March 19th, 2013 @ 11:05 pm

Alton is so brilliant, but I agree, a little odd :)

Candace Karu — March 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

I have a bit of a wing addiction myself – always happy to have a new recipe to try. Love the idea of more garlic!

Nicole @ Young,Broke and Hungry — March 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I used to watch Alton Brown every chance I could. The way he incorporates science into the art of cooking fascinates me. These wings looks mighty tasty! I would totally eat them every day.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — March 19, 2013 at 1:42 pm

holy cow! my fiance would LOVE these! I love that they are baked too. Homemade wings are the best! And your photos are beautiful by the way. Hard to make wings look so tasty, but you do it!

rebecca — March 19, 2013 at 3:40 pm

nice looks great and love that they are baked too

Joanne — March 19, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I eat the same breakfast every.day. So I’m really not one to talk. :) Love that (a) these are baked and (b) that they are so garlicky!

Maureen — March 19, 2013 at 9:54 pm

If you were lucky enough to have Alton on one side and Ina on the other, rent a new oven. :)

These wings sing to me.

katie — March 20, 2013 at 11:02 am

mmmm these look amazing! love that you added garlic to them

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — March 20, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I am all over these!

Sid — March 22, 2013 at 4:23 pm

These look amazing! I am going to make these tonight :) After steaming the chicken, how long do you let the wings’ skin dry out in the refrigerator?

• Brandy replied: — March 22nd, 2013 @ 4:26 pm

Hi Sid! About an hour will work. It will help so that the skin crisps up nicely! Hope you enjoy the wings! Let me know how it goes :)

Nikki @Seeded at the Table — March 24, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Yes, I get on those kicks, too! And, usually, it means I end up not wanting that food again for the rest of the year, though. lol! I love the idea of baking wings, although the hubs wants to learn the perfect way to grill them this summer, too. I see lots of wings in our near future. Yum yum!

Ashley @ Baker by Nature — April 2, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I am the SAME way! When I find something I enjoy eating, I find it impossible to STOP eating it haha. So much for creativity on those days.

My boyfriend is going to loooooove these wings (and me too, of course!). Can’t wait to try these!

• Brandy replied: — April 4th, 2013 @ 10:19 am

I hope you give them a try! They are husband approved :)

sierra — February 28, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Hi! I was wondering if I could bake these without the steaming rake? I would think I can, but IDK if it would lose quality. Thanks!

• nutmegnanny replied: — February 28th, 2014 @ 5:00 pm

Hi Sierra! You could definitely skip the steaming step but it helps get rid of some of the fat. That helps it so it’s get nice and crispy in the oven. You could also try parboiling the chicken first if that is easier.

sierra — March 1, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Thank you for the response! My Husband would love these & I wanted to make sure they would turn out. Great recipe! :)

1. Pingback: 15 Recipes from India