Chorizo Stuffed Poblano Peppers

These chorizo stuffed poblano peppers are packed full of spicy chorizo, black beans, sweet corn, Oaxaca cheese and baked in a flavorful tomato sauce. If you’re looking for a new version of stuffed peppers this is the perfect version!

These chorizo stuffed poblano peppers are packed full of spicy chorizo, black beans, sweet corn, oaxaca cheese and baked in a flavorful tomato sauce. If you're looking for a new version of stuffed peppers this is the perfect version!

I can’t promise that I will stop posting Southwest-inspired dishes but this is my last one for awhile. I made these peppers because I had a craving for stuffed peppers but didn’t feel like making my traditional recipe. Plus, even though I love traditional peppers, I find they are quite the process to make.

I don’t know, maybe I’m doing it wrong but the last time I made stuffed peppers I swear I felt like I was in the kitchen almost all day. However, these peppers only took me about 30 minutes to throw together and not much longer to bake.

Plus I threw in the last of my homemade roasted hatch green chiles. I wasn’t about to let them go to waste and knew they would kick ass in this recipe.

{Spoiler alert: I was right.}

The thing I loved most about this recipe is that it’s just filling enough to be dinner on it’s own but you could totally serve it along with rice too. The chile and smoked paprika spiced tomato sauce you cook the peppers is key to this dish. It’s the perfect sauce and you could easily slurp it out of the pan.

Well, maybe you shouldn’t slurp sauce that just came out of the oven. That would not be wise.

However, if you let it cool and then did your slurping I wouldn’t judge you one bit.

{Looking for more ways to enjoy hatch green chiles? Try my pork chile verde, slow cooker beef chorizo taco chili or my spicy chicken lime soup. Or if you’re looking for a delicious stuffed pepper try these Italian Stuffed Peppers!}

Chorizo Stuffed Poblano Peppers

Yield: 4 servings

• 8 poblano peppers
  • 1 pound chorizo sausage
  • 1 cup frozen sweet corn
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups grated oaxaca cheese (or Monterey Jack cheese)
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles (or homemade diced green chiles)
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (this is spicy, use less if desired)
  • Kosher salt and pepper, to taste

Inspired by How Sweet Eats

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Cut off the tops of the peppers and remove the seeds. Save the tops and set aside with the peppers.

Set a large skillet (this skillet will be used to cook the peppers so make sure it's big enough to fit all the stuffed peppers) over medium high heat and add chorizo. Break up the sausage and cook until lightly browned.

Add in sweet corn and black beans. Cook until warmed through. Remove mixture from the pan and add to a bowl.

Add the same pan back to the stove and add in diced tomatoes, diced green chiles, chili powder, smoked paprika, chipotle chile powder, kosher salt and pepper. Stir to combine, lower the heat to medium low and simmer while you stuff your peppers. Remember to stir the sauce a few times while you are stuffing. It should cook down a little while you stuff your peppers.

Fill each pepper half way with filling, 1 tablespoon grated cheese, more filling and another 1 tablespoon cheese. Put the top on the pepper and use a wooden toothpick to secure the top to the pepper. Do this until all the peppers have been stuffed.

Add peppers to the tomato sauce and place in the oven. Bake for 25 minutes, remove the oven, cover with leftover shredded cheese and bake for another 15 minutes until the cheese is browned and melted.

*If you have leftover chorizo filling it is delicious in quesadillas!

39 Responses to “Chorizo Stuffed Poblano Peppers”

mimi — September 5, 2014 at 8:42 am

hmmm I could eat this three times a day! I love the mixture you used for the filling – the veggies and beans along with the chorizo. And I love that cheese!!! Fabulous!

Angela {Mind Over Batter} — September 5, 2014 at 8:49 am

I could probably eat these 3 times a day and not get tired. Of course… There’s one end where eating poblanos would be a problem, but I’m pretty much a “cross that bridge when I get there” type of chick.

Meg @ The Housewife in Training Files — September 5, 2014 at 8:52 am

Omg my mouth is watering right now. Love the chorizo addition and the tomato sauce! Definitely happening in our kitchen.

Marye — September 5, 2014 at 9:16 am

What a great idea! I love poblanos and the addition of chorizo is brilliant!

Brenda@Sugar-Free Mom — September 5, 2014 at 9:32 am

That cheese alone is making me drool!

christine — September 5, 2014 at 10:21 am

Oh those are like stuffed peppers on steroids! So full of flavor. I’m not familiar w/ that cheese, so I’ll have to look into it. I love trying new cheeses!

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — September 5, 2014 at 11:02 am

This is basically all of my favorite things in one dish! Love it!

The Food Hunter — September 5, 2014 at 11:26 am

Looks delicious…all that melting cheese!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — September 5, 2014 at 11:49 am

You should have seen my eyes bug out in food lust when I scrolled down to the photo of lifting one of these babies out of the pan. Wowzer!!!!

Alaina {Fabtastic Eats} — September 5, 2014 at 11:55 am

Talk about taking stuffed peppers to a whooooole ‘nother level! Totally drooling over these!

Amanda @The Kitcheneer — September 5, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I am totally making these! I LOVE stuffed poblano peppers! I make normal stuffed bell peppers all the time! I will definitely make these to add some flare to the mix!

Heather // girlichef — September 5, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I have actually been craving stuffed peppers lately! I know these would hit the spot.

claire volkman — September 5, 2014 at 1:05 pm

DAER GOOD LOOK AT THAT CHEESE.

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — September 5, 2014 at 2:31 pm

You’re right, this is a kick ass recipe! Oh and DON”T stop with the southwest recipes! Southwest all the things!!!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — September 5, 2014 at 2:42 pm

these look amazing

Lana@NeverEnoughThyme — September 5, 2014 at 7:38 pm

What a fantastically different twist on stuffed peppers! We really enjoy southwestern style recipes and I’m adding this one to my collection right now.

Kim Beaulieu — September 5, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I’ll be right over. I hope you saved me some. I’ll take half a platter please. What? I didn’t eat lunch. *grins*

Karissa Krishart — September 5, 2014 at 8:15 pm

These look amazing! Your pictures are gorgeous BTW.

Connie Snell — September 5, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Goodness. You know that “niagara falls” comment Guy Fieri uses on Triple D when it’s especially good? That just literally happened to me. This looks incredible!

Jessica (Savory Experiments) — September 5, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Oh, wow! I’m a nut for anything with chorizo. And cheese, I can never get enough cheese!

Michele @ Alwayzbakin — September 6, 2014 at 4:34 am

Those little peppers look so cute all stuffed up like that! I bet this dish was to die for! It really does sound amazing. What a great idea.

Thalia @ butter and brioche — September 6, 2014 at 4:49 am

totally craving all of the cheesey goodness of these stuffed peppers right now.. they look amazing!

Kelsey — September 6, 2014 at 5:54 am

Mmhhhmmmmm

Marissa | Pinch and Swirl — September 6, 2014 at 12:23 pm

These look amazing! And so perfect right now, with peppers and fresh corn in season!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — September 8, 2014 at 8:58 am

What a beautiful dish and presentation! The cheese on these is killing me!

amanda @ fake ginger — September 8, 2014 at 10:52 am

This is perfection! I don’t like traditional stuffed peppers but I love everything about these!

Paula - bell'alimento — September 9, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Oh my GAWsh these look amazing. Pinned.

Adria — September 10, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Made these tonight and they were perfect! Served over a bed of quinoa and it was an absolute instant favorite. Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca {foodie with family} — September 12, 2014 at 9:03 am

Okay. So first I see some stuffed poblanos on Chopped. Then I see someone stuffing them on another Food Network show. Now I see them looking BEYOND gorgeous here. I feel like God is telling me to make some stuffed Poblanos. YUM.

Connie — September 25, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I don’t ever cook peppers like this all too much but you’re making these look REAL good! I’ve got to get back into my kitchen and try this!

Chris MacDonald — October 23, 2014 at 7:16 am

In making these peppers, I have a question about the grated cheese. Will it be the consistency of grated parmesan cheese or more like the shredded cheese.

• nutmegnanny replied: — October 23rd, 2014 @ 2:53 pm

Hi Chris! The Oaxaca grated cheese is more the texture of a grated mozzarella than a hard Parmesan. You could use Monterey Jack or Mozzarella in place of the Oaxaca cheese if you can’t find it. I hope you love the peppers!

Sandra Dee — March 17, 2016 at 1:14 pm

I will be making these! Yum! However, I will definitely roast the Poblanos, in order to remove the tough inedible skin, before stuffing.

Janna — April 18, 2016 at 7:44 pm

I found this recipe on pinterest and followed it exactly. I have made it twice now and it’s soo, so good. A little time consuming for my usual weekend dinner so I tend to make it on my days off and it’s worth the little bit of effort! My boyfriend and I thank you!

• nutmegnanny replied: — April 25th, 2016 @ 10:32 pm

Hi Janna! I’m so glad you love the recipe! It’s a favorite around here too 🙂

1. Pingback: Beaches, dogs, and really delicious food. | Bake. Create. Love.

2. Pingback: Roasted Poblano and Chorizo Chili - Pinch and Swirl