This spicy chicken lime soup is packed full of chicken, chorizo, black beans, tomatoes, and homemade roasted hatch green chiles. This soup is flavorful and perfect for summer.
Soups aren’t just for cold winter days!
This delicious spicy chicken and lime soup combine fresh summertime flavors of bright lime, spicy chiles, and smoky seasonings that will have you daydreaming about your next backyard fiesta.
And the best part is, that this spicy chicken and lime soup is ready in just 60 minutes.
With the help of store-bought chicken stock and canned beans, it’s no muss, no fuss.
Packed full of flavor, it’s a crowd-pleaser for sure; and served with a side of my coconut lime frozen margaritas, it’s the perfect meal for a midsummer dinner party.
Trust me, this spicy chicken and lime soup will become your new summertime favorite dish!
Or, if you’re looking for something with a similar flavor but no tomatoes try my Chicken Avocado Cilantro Lime Soup.
Ingredients for spicy chicken and lime soup
- Onion and garlic – Onion and garlic are classic additions and add a subtle earthy flavor.
- Jalapeño – Floral and spicy, jalapeños are the perfect kick for this soup.
- Hatch chiles – This chile is grown in New Mexico, in the Hatch Valley. It is pungent and sweet, with a slight spiciness and crisp.
- Spices – Chili powder and smoked paprika give the soup a warm, smoky flavor.
- Chorizo – Chorizo is flavored ground pork that is highly seasoned with flavors like garlic, paprika, and spices.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast – Lean and full of protein, boneless skinless chicken breast is perfect for this soup.
- Mexican diced tomatoes – These are found in the international aisle of your grocery store. They are canned diced tomatoes with spices like cumin and oregano, and sometimes they have green chiles.
- Black beans – Canned beans make this soup come together in a snap!
- Frozen corn – Frozen veggies are picked at the peak of freshness, so you know you’re always getting the best quality.
- Lime – Bright and fresh, this citrus elevates all of the flavors of our soup.
- Chicken stock – These days, there are tons of high-quality chicken stocks in your local grocery store. Feel free to use your favorite!
Adjusting the spice
Not a fan of super spicy foods? Don’t worry! This spicy chicken and lime soup can be customized to your perfect level of spice.
When using jalapeño peppers, all of the heat lives in the seeds and the ribs (the white parts that the seeds are attached to).
To remove 90% of the spice from a jalapeño, simply remove all of the seeds and the ribs!
You’ll still be left with a delicious pepper with little to no spice.
Alternatively, if you really love spicy foods, keep all of the seeds and ribs intact.
Using rotisserie chicken
This soup comes together in only 60 minutes, but you could make it even easier!
Instead of using raw, boneless skinless chicken breasts, you could easily swap them out for a pre-made rotisserie chicken.
Plus, rotisserie chickens are widely available, cooked, and ready to eat, at most major grocery stores.
Just remove the skin and the meat, dice it up, and add it to the soup!
Storage and leftovers
The best thing about soup is that they store beautifully!
This soup will keep stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You can also freeze this spicy chicken and lime soup!
Using a vacuum-sealed container, or a freezer-safe airtight container, this soup can be kept frozen for up to 2 months.
To reheat, simply put frozen soup in the refrigerator the night before, and heat it up on the stove in a pot, or in a microwave-safe container until heated thoroughly.
More soup recipes
- Craving fall flavors? Try my Spicy Thai Pumpkin Soup.
- Looking for a super simple soup? Try my Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup.
- Want a fresh, springtime favorite? Try my Lemon Chicken Vegetable Farro Soup.
- Love a creamy soup? Try my Cream of Roasted Asparagus Soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 whole roasted hatch green chiles, diced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 (14 ounce) can Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (32 ounce) containers chicken stock, more if needed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup diced cilantro
- In a large soup pot set over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot add onion and jalapeño.
- Once the vegetables are soft, add diced hatch green chilies, chicken breast, and chopped chorizo sausage.
- Cook until the chicken is no longer pink on the outside.
- Add garlic, chili powder, and smoked paprika and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add in tomatoes, black beans, corn kernels, and chicken stock. Add more chicken stock if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and the majority of the cilantro.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve soup in a large bowl sprinkled with remaining cilantro and an optional lime wedge.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 605mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 26g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.