Ham Cheddar Cranberry Melt

This simple ham cheddar cranberry melt sandwich is the perfect way to use up leftover Christmas ham. A perfect balance of sweet, salty and cheesy.

I’m super picky about ham. If I’m going to eat it better be smoked and never super sweet. That means if it’s caked with brown sugar I don’t want it. I know, I’m so high maintenance. Last year I shared my pineapple bourbon butter glazed ham recipe and it’s still hands down my favorite tasting ham.

This year I remade that ham but instead of sharing the recipe with you again (why would I do that?) I decided to instead share a recipe to help use up all that ham.

Normally I just take some squishy white bread and top it with yellow mustard and cold ham. BUT that doesn’t really make a good blog post…am I right?

This sandwich gives a little more oomph to the sandwich game without being too complicated. It combines super sharp cheddar cheese, leftover ginger laced cranberry orange sauce and a sprinkling of hearty baby greens. It’s super simple to make and is super melty and delicious since I made it in my handy dandy griddler.

Melty cheese, smoked ham and cranberry.

For-EVA.

Ham Cheddar Cranberry Melt

Yield: 1 sandwich

• 2 large slices bread (white or whole wheat)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
  • 5 slices ham
  • 1/4 cup ginger laced cranberry orange sauce
  • 1/3 cup hearty baby greens

Heat griddler or panini press to medium heat.

Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.

Lay 2 slices cheese on the unbuttered side of one slice of bread. Top with ham, cranberry sauce, hearty baby greens and remaining cheese. Top with remaining slice of bread, butter side up.

Add to the griddler and cook for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melty and the bread is toasted.

I like to cook my sandwich at a lower heat for a longer time because it ensures that my whole sandwich will be warmed.

Source: This post was sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm. As always all opinions and thoughts are 100% my own.

31 Responses to “Ham Cheddar Cranberry Melt”

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — December 19, 2014 at 7:38 am

You’re killing me here! I want to reach through this computer screen so badly and grab one of those bad boys!!!

Tori@Gringalicious.com — December 19, 2014 at 8:13 am

Gorgeous and, um, Yes! Pinned!

Meg @ The Housewife in Training FIles — December 19, 2014 at 8:23 am

I would make a ham despite no holiday if I could enjoy this sandwich every day!

Amy @ A Healthy Life For Me — December 19, 2014 at 8:30 am

Oh lordy yes I want that sandwich. I am wiping the drool off my chin with one hand and typing with the other. Sharing now!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — December 19, 2014 at 8:34 am

I’m a total goldilocks about ham too. Smoked and not too sweet is just right!

christine — December 19, 2014 at 8:35 am

I love all the flavors combining in this sandwich!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet — December 19, 2014 at 8:43 am

Perfection in a sandwich!

Lynn @ Order in the Kitchen — December 19, 2014 at 8:45 am

OMG girl this sandwich looks to die for and it’s the perfect way to use up some of those leftovers! LOVE

Colleen (Souffle Bombay) — December 19, 2014 at 8:46 am

You are evil! That close up did me in…I am pulling out my panini maker! Scrumptious!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — December 19, 2014 at 9:41 am

Holy smokes this sammie looks amazing with that combo of flavors.

The Food Hunter — December 19, 2014 at 9:51 am

this looks fantastic!

Lori R. — December 19, 2014 at 10:15 am

There is no better sandwich to me than one that combines tangy cranberry sauce with cheese and a salty meat. This looks incredible!

Kate @ Diethood — December 19, 2014 at 12:04 pm

That’s just amazing. Woooow!! I mean, why is my face not anywhere near it?!? ….drools….

Martha @ A Family Feast — December 19, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I’m practically licking my PC monitor…that sandwich looks incredible!

Angie — December 19, 2014 at 1:45 pm

I’ve never had ham and cranberry sauce together but now I can’t wait to try it. This melt looks perfect!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — December 19, 2014 at 2:50 pm

My boyfriend would go NUTS over this recipe. I don’t eat meat but the second he sees this the sandwiches are going to be gone, they don’t stand a chance!

Brenda@Sugar-Free Mom — December 19, 2014 at 4:31 pm

No one would complain of eating left over ham with this sandwich! Awesome!

Liz — December 19, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Whoa, this gooey, cheesy, ham packed sandwich looks simply amazing! Now I wish I was planning to make ham for Christmas dinner!

Bea — December 20, 2014 at 12:26 am

Now I want to make a ham for Christmas so I can make this absolutely amazing looking sandwich. Yum!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — December 20, 2014 at 12:32 am

oh my gawd, I should not be reading your blog at 11:30 at night. . damn, now I’m HUNGRY. looks so good!!

Candace @ Cabot — December 20, 2014 at 7:18 am

Deliciously simple and simply delicious. Brandy strikes again!

Agnieszka — December 20, 2014 at 8:51 am

This looks absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to make this for my family.

Heather | girlichef — December 20, 2014 at 11:07 am

I need this sandwich in my hand RIGHT NOW! This would make me infinitely happy. And that ham you made last year? I think that’s got to be my ham for this year, it sounds fabulous.

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — December 20, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Ham and cheddar is the best! I want a panini press so I can live off of stuff like this.

Cookin Canuck — December 20, 2014 at 4:04 pm

That ham sounds flippin’ amazing! Butter and bourbon…yes, please. My husband just looked over my shoulder and said, “Wow, that sandwich looks good!”

Ginny McMeans — December 21, 2014 at 6:12 pm

You absolutely brought this sandwich to the next level. Looks amazing!

Aly ~ Cooking In Stilettos — December 22, 2014 at 2:04 am

This will have to be made on the day after Christmas! Looks amazing 🙂

Alida — December 22, 2014 at 6:00 am

What a perfect sandwich…looks incredible!

Melissa from HungryFoodLove.com — January 5, 2015 at 5:02 am

Now this is what I call a sandwich. I can see myself making this again and again after the holidays too.

1. Pingback: Swoon-worthy Recipes, 3 Holiday Edition | Baked by an Introvert