Asparagus Gratin

This asparagus gratin takes fresh asparagus and tops it with lemon, herb and Parmesan cheese panko bread crumbs. This side dish is spring time perfection.ย

This asparagus gratin takes fresh asparagus and tops it with zesty lemon, herb and Parmesan cheese panko bread crumbs. This side dish is spring time perfection.

This weekend I spent some time down in DC with Gina and Julie. Even though DC isn’t that far south it was a lot more spring like down there than it is up here in NY. Flowers were blooming, cherry blossoms were in full swing and it was warm. I walked around on Saturday {with about every other single person in the DC area} in awe at all the spring time beauty.

Then I lost my ish when I couldn’t handle any more strollers bumping into me and was scared I was going to get pushed into the tidal basin by some cherry blossom happy tourist.

I have a love hate relationship with tourists.

Even when I am one.

This totally simple asparagus gratin takes fresh asparagus and tops it with zesty lemon, herb and Parmesan cheese panko bread crumbs. This side dish is spring time perfection.

After our hunger set in we decided to get our butts out of cherry blossom central and hit up Union Market to get our grub on. I wanted gelato for lunch but decided instead to eat some BBQ {brisket is my jam!} and then stuff my face with super creamy gelato.

I couldn’t figure out what flavor to get so I ended up getting a scoop of chocolate peanut butter and chocolate chip cookie dough.

When in doubt just pick two.

This asparagus gratin takes fresh asparagus and tops it with zesty lemon, herb and sharp Parmesan cheese panko bread crumbs. This side dish is spring time perfection.

After all our food was consumed we hopped back into the car, headed back to Julie’s house and we all took a nap. Naps are seriously the best. thing. ever. How can you not love a mid-afternoon nap?

Sometimes I wish I could have saved up all those naps I refused to take a kid.

Dear young Brandy – what were youย thinking? Napping is the best.

This asparagus gratin takes fresh asparagus and tops it with lemon, herb and sharp Parmesan cheese panko bread crumbs. This side dish is spring time perfection.

You know what else is the best? Asparagus.

During the summer I eat it almost exclusively. I can’t help but gobble it up when the price is cheap. My favorite way is roasted asparagus but I’ll eat it just about any way you serve it to me. This version still gives you the delicious roasted flavor but fancies it up a bit more with a crunchy panko topping that has been packed with lemon, herbs and Parmesan cheese.

Unlike most gratins it’s not swimming in any sort of cream sauce. It’s fresh, light and perfect for spring! It’s great as a side dish but I would be lying if I said I have never made this dish and just eaten the whole tray for dinner…

{Looking for more asparagus recipes? Try my cream of roasted asparagus soup, asparagus frittata for two or my spring vegetable pappardelle.}

Asparagus Gratin

Yield: 2-4 side dish servings

Cook Time: 15 minute

• 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons minced parsley
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 lemon, zested

Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat liner, set aside.

Add asparagus to baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season lightly with kosher salt and pepper. Place in a single layer across the baking sheet.

In a small bowl add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir to combine.

Taste and season with desired amount of kosher salt and pepper.

Sprinkle the top of the asparagus with the panko mixture and bake for 10-15 minutes until the asparagus is tender and the topped is lightly browned. You can broil the topping at the very end if you really like a browned topped.

Enjoy warm.

This super simple asparagus gratin takes fresh asparagus and tops it with zesty lemon, herb and Parmesan cheese panko bread crumbs. This side dish is spring time perfection.

34 Responses to “Asparagus Gratin”

Brian @ A Thought For Food — April 13, 2015 at 8:18 am

Don’t you just love asparagus season? Can’t wait to make this gratin!

Rachel Cooks — April 13, 2015 at 8:34 am

Loved following along with your DC pictures. This asparagus is amazing — you’re basically my hero when it comes to food.

Amy @ A Healthy Life For Me — April 13, 2015 at 9:17 am

You ain’t kidding this is spring time perfection! I love asparagus and this recipe is now on our menu!

Barbara @ Spirited Cook — April 13, 2015 at 9:17 am

I love asparagus in about any form, but this looks perfect for spring! And off to DC in a few weeks to bike around the Mt Vernon path, so I look forward to that although it will be past cherry blossom season, but hell, it will be warmer than Maine and New Hampshire so who cares!!! Cheers!

Kacey @ The Cookie Writer — April 13, 2015 at 9:23 am

Asparagus gratin is a favourite of mine. Looking at your photos, I initially thought you used goat cheese. Might have to try that idea myself! ๐Ÿ™‚

Nicole @ Or Whatever You Do — April 13, 2015 at 9:28 am

Delicious! I love asparagus, and this looks amazing. Love these photos!

Christie — April 13, 2015 at 9:43 am

I can just imagine how gorgeous DC would be this time of year. We live in Georgia so everything is out. The pollen, oh my! I am absolutely dying to try this asparagus recipe. I love some crunch with my vegetables. This would be a lovely dish for Mother’s Day.

marcie — April 13, 2015 at 9:48 am

I’ve been eating asparagus like crazy lately — this would be a great way to change it up!

Stephanie @ Back for Seconds — April 13, 2015 at 10:01 am

I think this asparagus will be showing up a lot in our house over the spring and summer. Mmmmmm

Ginny McMeans — April 13, 2015 at 12:44 pm

I have been trying to become one of those tourists in DC for a few years now. Asparagus is the best and I am looking forward to try your panko version.

Annie @Maebells — April 13, 2015 at 12:50 pm

What a lovely side dish! So perfect for Spring!

Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits — April 13, 2015 at 1:17 pm

I miss the cherry blossom season in DC! I do plain roasted asparagus all the time, but I LOVE this gratin that you added on top!

Kirsten — April 13, 2015 at 2:07 pm

My mom (and my running friends on FB) tell me that for the first time (in forever, or at least the 90’s) the peak of the blossoms has coincided with the festival. Hooray!
    When we lived in DC I liked to drive over early on a weekend morning and sit on a bench nursing my babies while my spouse walked around and took photos. No stroller to bonk folks, though!
    Brandy these asparagus look like I’d just pick them up out of the pan and eat them without waiting to serve at the table!

Kristy @ Chocolate Slopes — April 13, 2015 at 3:07 pm

I love using panko crumbs but never thought to add them to asparagus – excellent idea!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — April 13, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Oh how I love asparagus! This dish looks fabulous, Brandy! (Naps are great too – wish I ever got to take one!!)

The Food Hunter — April 13, 2015 at 5:49 pm

I eat a lot of asparagus this time of year!

Lauren Kelly Nutrition — April 13, 2015 at 6:14 pm

I love asparagus so much, I could eat this whole tray! Love it!

Paula - bell'alimento — April 13, 2015 at 6:14 pm

I love asparagus and can never have too many ways to prepare it!

Beth — April 13, 2015 at 6:24 pm

I think I would love if my day consisted of a nap and then some of this delicious asparagus!

Sharon @ What The Fork Food Blog — April 13, 2015 at 9:44 pm

I love asparagus, can’t wait to try it this way!

Lora @cakeduchess — April 14, 2015 at 5:49 am

How cool to get away and I’m happy it’s finally warmer around DC. I love asparagus and also like a gratin that is on the more light side, like this!!

Brenda@Sugar-Free Mom — April 14, 2015 at 7:25 am

My hubby used to travel often to D.C and I would join him, so much fun there! I love your fresh and light gratin without a sauce!

Martha @ A Family Feast — April 14, 2015 at 9:14 am

Oh yum! I saw this over on Pinterest and immediately knew it was your recipe…looks fantastic and perfect for in-season asparagus!

Dee Dee (My Midlife Kitchen) — April 14, 2015 at 9:18 am

OK, first of all I am beyond envious that you live in DC. We moved away last Summer, and I’m still pouting about it. Counting the days until we get back there for good! Second, I hear ya’ on the whole nap issue! Such a luxury when I get one as an adult! And third, um YEAH asparagus is the best! We eat it multiple times per week when it’s in season. I also posted a great recipe for a white asparagus soup this week. ‘Tis the season of asparagus! Yum!

Patricia @ Grab a Plate — April 14, 2015 at 10:15 am

This looks amazing! I’m an asparagus fanatic, too, and eat it all summer. Love how you’ve put this together – simple and delicious!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — April 14, 2015 at 10:27 am

Yum! Tourists aside, what a great way to spend a spring weekend!

Cookin Canuck — April 14, 2015 at 11:36 am

I’ve always wanted to head to DC during cherry blossom season. Someday! What a wonderful way to use asparagus. Another gorgeous recipe!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — April 14, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Huh. Where are the potatoes? ๐Ÿ˜€ I didn’t even know there were other types of gratin. And what’s with all the tourists pushing things into the water in Washington DC over the weekend? Crazy.

Heather / girlichef — April 14, 2015 at 4:23 pm

That sounds like an awesome day. ๐Ÿ™‚ I agree about the midday nap. Man, so many things that kids just don’t “get”! ha ha ha. I love the sound of your asparagus gratin, pretty sure I’d be happy to make a meal out of it, too.

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet — April 14, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Even my kiddos would eat this! They love asparagus!

Aggie — April 15, 2015 at 6:10 am

Couple things…I also have a love/hate with tourists. one word – Disney World. Now that we have passes and are there quite often I honestly can’t process how many tourists come to this area. And I love it, however, it gets old quick when you are walking in the sea of people. ๐Ÿ™‚

Naps…the best. I got into the habit of taking naps with my kids a few years ago when they were little…it was a hard habit to break ๐Ÿ™‚

Love asparagus cooked this way! The best!!

Lauren @ Healthy Delicious — April 15, 2015 at 12:09 pm

omg I love the look of this recipe. That topping…swoon!! And I’m totally jealous that you went to DC. It’s one of my favorite cities in the whole world, especially when the cherry blossoms are out.

Joanne — April 17, 2015 at 4:21 pm

DC has SO many tourists at this time of year..it’s kind of crazy. I really thought this was an actual gratin when I started reading the post, but I kind of love that you kept it fresh!

1. Pingback: Pan Roasted Brown Butter Radishes | Nutmeg Nanny