Aged Eggnog

This aged eggnog is perfect for the winter holiday season. Full of booze and can be aged for years! Just wait till you take the first delicious sip!

I have always been a eggnog fan. As soon as I would see it pop up in the store I would beg my parents to buy a jug and use all my willpower to not drink it all in one day. Then I got older and learned all about boozy eggnog. Game changer.

So this year I decided to step up my nog game. While I have always been content with buying eggnog from the store and jazzing it up with bourbon, brandy or rum THIS year it was going to change. This year I was going to go hardcore eggnog. This year I decided to age my eggnog. Now I know you’re probably thinking “yeah, how about we not age a drink that is basically just raw eggs, dairy and booze.” I totally get your hesitation BUT this is totally safe and here is why – booze. All that alcohol keeps it safe from little germs setting up shop in your nog. As a little extra precaution I do recommend letting your eggnog rest for 3 weeks before trying BUT if you live your life on the wild side and trust your eggs you can try on day one. However, I leave that day one tasting up to you because it’s not exactly recommended by the FDA.  {If you’re me you would totally taste it on day one but I also eat raw cookie dough. I live my life on the wild side.}

Oh and for a real hot second lets talk about my totally adorable moose mugs! My SIL got them for me last year and I’m so excited to be able to use them. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation is a favorite of mine so the moose mugs are a holiday essential.

Now I know this post is pretty picture heavy but I really wanted to show you each step just in case there were a lot of questions. As you can see above it doesn’t take too many ingredients to make this work. All you need is eggs, sugar, milk, heavy cream and 3 type of booze. Also it’s totally not necessary to buy the best of the best when it comes to the alcohol. I personally think Old Grand-dad bourbon is fantastic for drinks like this. It’s cheap, doesn’t taste bad and packs a nice punch.

Next step involved a bit of elbow grease. Simply whisk together all your egg yolks with the sugar. Eventually it will end up looking beautiful and pale yellow in color. I guess if you were short on time you could also throw it in a stand mixer and just use the whisk attachment for this step.

I’m a sucker so I did it by hand.

Then in goes the dairy and whisk it up real nice.

Then we add in all the booze. Now, I didn’t have a mixing bowl big enough to actually mix in all the ingredients. So I added in some of the ingredients and then transferred the mixture to 2 1/2 gallon mason jars. This made it a lot easier to mix together. I totally recommend this. Plus then you don’t have to worry about trying to pour a gallon worth of mixture out of bowl and into your storage jar.

You know?

{I also recommend picking up a pack of plastic lids. I think they work a lot better than the metal lids for recipes like this.}

After your 3 weeks is up it’s time to give it a try! I like to add in a little nutmeg since I don’t add any other flavorings to the mixture except for eggs, dairy and booze. Now, I will warn you this eggnog is strong. Like, very strong. However, the long you let it sit it will mellow out in flavor. I have also found you can cut it with a little store-bought nog if it’s a little too strong for you.

Oh and just remember – this nog is for sipping not for gulping. I mean you could gulp it down but you might pass out before dinner time.

{Looking for more boozy Christmas drinks? Try my spiked Nutella hot chocolate, peppermint s’mores martini or my spiked salted caramel coffee.}

Aged Eggnog

Yield: 1 gallon

Prep Time: 20 minutesplus at least 3 weeks aging

Total Time: 20 minutesplus at least 3 weeks aging

• 12 large egg yolks
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 liter bourbon
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3/4 cup brandy
  • 1/2 cup dark rum
  • Pinch of kosher salt
  • Grated nutmeg

In a large bowl add egg yolks and sugar. Whisk until creamy and light yellow in color.

Whisk in bourbon, whole milk, heavy cream, brandy, dark rum and kosher salt.

Add to a glass gallon container, cover tightly with lid and store in the fridge for 3 weeks to 3 years. Shake the jar before drinking incase the mixture has separated slightly. Also before serving I like to add a little grated nutmeg on top for added flavor.

If you do not have a bowl large enough to whisk all together I recommend after whisking the eggs and sugar whisk in the bourbon to thin out. Pour into your gallon container and then add in the remaining ingredient and stirring to combine. You can also split the mixture between 2 1/2 gallon mason jars.

36 Responses to “Aged Eggnog”

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 7, 2015 at 8:34 am

Those mugs are seriously the best! I couldn’t love this post more!!

Ali @ Home & Plate — December 7, 2015 at 8:44 am

Aged and homemade? This would not make it in my house. We seriously would drink these up before the end of the night. Love the glasses btw. Perfect way to celebrate the holidays!

Lauren @ Wicked Spatula — December 7, 2015 at 8:49 am

I’ve never had eggnog but it looks delicious! I’m LOVING those glasses, too cute!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — December 7, 2015 at 8:49 am

You are my kind of gal! This recipe hits all my bells and whistles…and your presentation is too darned cute!!!

Linda @ Food Huntress — December 7, 2015 at 8:54 am

I want those cute cups!!! This is a great one for the holidays! Thank you!.

Sarah | Broma Bakery — December 7, 2015 at 8:57 am

The moose is the funniest thing I’ve seen all week. I just love it.

Jenn @ peas and crayons — December 7, 2015 at 9:14 am

I need a glass of this boozy goodness stat! It would be hard to let it rest but I know it’s totally worth the wait!

Beth — December 7, 2015 at 9:38 am

This recipe is going to go crazy on the internet all because of those ADORABLE moose mugs!!!

Stephanie — December 7, 2015 at 11:00 am

This sounds dangerously delish!

Megan {Country cleaver} — December 7, 2015 at 11:17 am

This is just what Christmas needs!!! And the moose mugs, definitely. I want to plunk them down into a giant punch bowl full of this nog – just like Clark!!

Danae @ Recipe Runner — December 7, 2015 at 11:26 am

Wow! Now this is some straight up awesome eggnog and don’t get me started on how great those moose mugs are!

The Food Hunter — December 7, 2015 at 2:48 pm

I love this recipe and I love those glasses!!

Karyn — December 7, 2015 at 3:02 pm

I’d like to think that the Grizwald family would highly approve of your eggnog and use of fine crystal moose goblets. I’m loving it!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — December 7, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Would you believe I was never a fan of eggnog until this year? I just never gave it a chance. Love this!! That glass is the cutest thing ever!

Jennifer Farley — December 7, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Yes to all of this.

Lauren Kelly Nutrition — December 7, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Those mugs totally rock my world, that’s one of my favorite movies too! This eggnog looks fantastic too!!

Chrisy @ Homemade Hooplah — December 7, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Oh my goodness, how CUTE is that mug? And I’m loving this recipe too – my husband is going to LOVE it when I make it!

Jessica (Savory Experiments) — December 7, 2015 at 8:55 pm

The cup alone makes me want to make some! This sounds amazing and perfect for a holiday get together.

Tonia from TheGunnySack — December 7, 2015 at 9:38 pm

My husband and son are huge eggnog fans but I’ve never tried making a homemade version!

Kellie @ The Suburban Soapbox — December 7, 2015 at 10:24 pm

I never liked eggnog until I tried the boozy version…..so, maybe that says something about me. 🙂 And those mugs…..love!

Carolyn — December 7, 2015 at 10:40 pm

I am intrigued! I am not one who fears raw eggs so I would totally do this..sugar free of course. And rocking mugs there!

Erin — December 7, 2015 at 11:13 pm

I am making this!!! I get amazing local eggs – I also eat raw cookie dough. 😉 If I make this tomorrow, it will be ready for a Christmas Eve party!

Susan | LunaCafe — December 7, 2015 at 11:44 pm

What an interesting concept. I’ve actually never heard of aged eggnog. Really looking forward to trying it though. 🙂

Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats — December 7, 2015 at 11:53 pm

Oh my gosh! In love with this recipe and the moose cup!!!

Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet — December 8, 2015 at 12:21 am

Whoa, this will seriously keep for 3 years?! I would love to try an aged eggnog like that!

Amanda | The Chunky Chef — December 8, 2015 at 9:06 am

Ahhhh I LOVE LOVE LOVE Christmas Vacation and those mugs are just perfect!! I had no idea you could age eggnog… awesome!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — December 8, 2015 at 10:43 am

Yields 1 gallon. Lol. This is AMAZING! 😀 And I didn’t know it can be aged. I want some! And I, too, love those moose cups!

Heather | All Roads Lead to the Kitchen — December 8, 2015 at 2:07 pm

There’s not a single thing that I don’t love about this post. Homemade eggnog is life-changing and I NEED some of thos moose mugs. Cheers!

Lora @savoringitaly — December 8, 2015 at 3:05 pm

My mother-in-law in Italy makes an egg nog like this and always offers it to us when we are there, most times during breakfast! Ha! The mugs are too cute!

Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama — December 8, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Oh wow! I have never seen a recipe for aged egg nog before, but this sounds delicious! 🙂 I would totally give it a go if it wasn’t for my darn lactose intolerance, lol. Do you think it could be made with soy or almond milk or no? And I LOVE those mugs- they are perfect!

Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic — December 8, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Handcrafted egg nog served in a moose mug?! I so want to be at your holiday party. I’m glad you spelled out how aging the egg nog preserved the eggs.

Rose | The Clean Dish — December 8, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Ooooh I love a strong eggnog!! The step by step instructions are super helpful, too! The glass is priceless – I had to laugh when I saw the photo. Aged Eggnog is definitely something new to try – can’t wait!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — December 9, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Can I just tell you how much I love that Moose mug! haha My mom bought my brother one that looks just like that last year for Christmas and she got him a Christmas tree ornament that looks like it too haha. Oh my gosh and that Kraken Rum is freaking awesome isn’t it! Gotta make this for Thomas!

Colleen (Souffle Bombay) — December 10, 2015 at 8:22 am

So festive and so much better than store-bought! Love this!! Pass me a moose!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — December 10, 2015 at 11:35 am

I am loving every single bit of this. Homemade eggnog. Boozy. Moose Cups. YAY!

Sarah Walker Caron (Sarah's Cucina Bella) — December 15, 2015 at 7:11 am

What adorable mugs! We’re big eggnog fans … this adult aged version sounds so tempting. As long as we don’t gulp it down. 🙂