These pineapple chicken kebabs are packed full of flavor and the perfect grilling recipe. Chunks of chicken breast paired with bell pepper, red onion, pineapple and glazed with tangy BBQ sauce – what’s not to love?
Sweet, tangy, and just a little spicy. It’s exactly how I like my food and basically how I want to live my life.
I mean, that sounds like I’m some sort of wild child but really I’m just an ordinary gal who enjoys traveling, eating her weight in good food (which, if you knew my weight is A LOT), and indulging in a few adult beverages.
I’m the perfect example of a childless mid-30’s married woman.
This summer has been nothing short of amazing and the travel has been my FAVORITE part.
I went to Maine with my New York family, Hilton Head with my best friends, and then to Vegas with my blogger friends.
PLUS I’m gonna be going to Florida next week. I. Cannot. Wait.
In the meantime I’m working my little buns off to bring you delicious summer meals for all the weeks I’m out of town.
That means I think you’re going to LOVE these BBQ Hawaiian chicken kebabs because they have summer written all over them.
I mean, besides the whole threading the kebab they are about as easy as you can get. If you have kids who have good hand/eye control maybe give them this job.
Isn’t that why you had kids? So they can do the kebab threading job?
If you’re super fancy you can always make your own BBQ sauce but I’m a simple girl who only likes her dad’s homemade sauce (hey dad! I need some more bbq sauce….) so I just buy Sweet Baby Ray’s.
I’m fancy at times just not all the time.
Also, don’t skimp on using fresh pineapple for these BBQ Hawaiian chicken kebabs.
As much as there is a time and a place for canned pineapple this recipe is not one of them. I know I’m super contradictory by telling you to buy your BBQ sauce but only use fresh pineapple but I’m finicky like that.
I would say being finicky is my best trait but I’m pretty sure we all know that is a big fat lie.
If you don’t already own skewers one little tiny tip for making these pineapple chicken kebabs. If you use wooden skewers you need to soak them in water before using them.
This helps them not burn so quickly on the grill. I like to soak mine overnight if I can remember or at a minimum a few hours before using them. If you have metal skewers you’re fine.
Looking for more easy grill-friendly recipes? Try my grilled sweet and sour turkey kebabs, grilled chicken meatball and peppers skewers, Jamaican jerk chicken, chili mango lime grilled chicken thighs, sweet soy marinated grilled chicken thighs, grilled chicken sausage pizza, or my grilled London broil with corn salsa.
Tools for making these Pineapple Chicken Kebabs
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chunked
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chunked
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chunked
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chunked
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chunked
- 1 small red onion, peeled and chunked
- 1/2 pineapple, cored and chunked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Soaked wooden or metal skewers
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- Sprinkle minced cilantro
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl add chunked chicken breast, bell peppers, red onion, olive oil, pineapple, chili powder, smoked paprika, kosher salt, and crushed red pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Thread the vegetables and meat equally onto the skewers. I like to have 3 chunks of meat per skewer but make sure to leave 1-1/2 to 2 inches on each side of the skewer so they are easy to turn on the grill.
- Add skewers to the grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side.
- After 10 minutes start glazing the kebabs with bbq sauce and let it caramelize while the chicken continues to cook.
- Once the kebabs are full cooked sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
- * Depending on the size of your chunks of chicken you get an average of 8 skewers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 1147mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 3gSugar: 30gProtein: 38g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.