These caramel macchiato thumbprint cookies are the perfect holiday dessert! They taste just like the coffeehouse favorite but in cookie form. Sweet espresso sugar cookies topped with creamy caramel and drizzled with chocolate. You’ll love this easy cookie!
You’re going to love these quick and easy holiday cookie!
Not only is it semi-homemade but it’s PACKED full of coffee and caramel flavor.
Plus, you’ll love the creamy caramel center and the semi-sweet chocolate drizzle on top.
If you’re looking for a new addition to your Christmas cookie platter this is the perfect easy addition!
Do I have to make my own caramel for this recipe?
Not at all!
If you feel like making your own caramel by all means – go for it!
But if you want to keep things easy you can do a few things.
You can always easily melt some unwrapped soft caramels (usually found in the baking or candy section of the grocery store) with some butter to create a smooth creamy caramel. This is how it is written in the recipe.
If you can’t find soft caramels you can always buy a caramel ice cream topping and fill each little thumbprint with that.
Both work great!
Can I use premade sugar cookie dough?
While I think with some experimenting this could work the recipe actually uses the dry sugar cookie pouch mix.
It’s a great starting point to turn a basic sugar cookie into something extra special.
These mixes are pretty easy to find and are typically near the boxed cake mixes in the baking aisle of the grocery store.
What if I can’t find instant espresso?
If you can’t find instant espresso you could use instant coffee in place.
The instant espresso powder I typically us can be found on Amazon too!
Love these caramel macchiato thumbprint cookies?
Why not try a few of my other easy cookie recipes!
- Vanilla Bean Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Molasses Ginger Raisin Cookies
- Espresso Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 (1 lb 1.5 oz) pouch sugar cookie mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 18 soft caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, dissolve instant espresso powder in hot water.
- Stir in cookie mix, butter, flour, vanilla extract, and egg until very soft dough forms.
- Shape dough into 1 1/2-inch balls.
- On ungreased cookie sheets, place balls 2 inches apart.
- Using thumb or handle of a wooden spoon, make an indentation in center of each cookie.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- Cool 2 minutes, remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.
- In a small microwavable bowl, microwave caramels and milk uncovered on High 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring once, until caramels are melted.
- Spoon 1/2 teaspoon caramel into the indentation in each cookie.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- In another small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips and coconut oil uncovered on high 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds or until chips can be stirred smooth.
- Drizzle chocolate over cookies.
- Let stand about 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 65Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.