This easy chicken and rice casserole is comforting and cozy, made with chicken thighs, Instant rice, creamy soups, and spices.
Looking for a comforting, easy, and delicious dish that will satisfy everyone at the table?
This easy chicken and rice casserole is a classic for a reason!
Made with a combination of three creamy soups, tender chicken thighs, and fluffy rice, this dish is sure to become a new family favorite.
The creamy combination of cream of mushroom, cream of celery, and cream of chicken soups adds depth and richness to the casserole, while the tender chicken and rice make it filling and satisfying.
In addition to being very delicious, this meal is also very economical to make!
Chicken thighs are often priced a little cheaper than chicken breasts, and creamy soups and rice are cost-effective options to feed large crowds.
Made all in one dish, it’s an easy clean-up for any night of the week; you’re going to love adding this chicken and rice casserole to your dinner rotation!
Craving even more delicious classic casserole recipes? If so, you have to try this easy tater tot casserole!
Ingredients for easy chicken and rice casserole
- Instant white rice – Instant rice cooks up creamy, almost like a risotto
- Creamy soups – Using three types of creamy soups–chicken, celery, and mushroom–will give us a full spectrum of savory flavors.
- Water – Water will help thin out the sauce to properly cook everything together.
- Bone-in skin-on chicken thighs – For the most flavor possible, bone-in, skin-on is the way to go!
- Salt and black pepper – These will help season the chicken to perfection.
- Garlic powder – Garlic powder will add a garlicky flavor to our dish.
Using Instant white rice
Be sure to use Instant white rice (the dried kind–think Minute). It’s going to help give the rice a soft and creamy, risotto-like texture.
Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs are packed full of deep and rich chicken flavor, but feel free to substitute boneless, skinless chicken breasts if you prefer!
Variations of creamy soups
I’ve used my favorite trifecta of creamy soups here–celery, chicken, and mushroom–but feel free to use your own blend or just one flavor!
If you’re concerned with salt content, feel free to use lower sodium varieties.
If you’d like to add a little garnish for extra pops of flavor, here are some great topping ideas:
- Shredded cheeses
- Fried onion strings
- Panko breadcrumbs
Storage and leftover
Any leftover chicken and rice casserole can be stored in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Lastly, to reheat, simply place in a microwave-safe dish, covered loosely with a damp paper towel, and heat for 2-3 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
More comforting meals
- Craving something Thai-inspired? Try my Thai Beef Drunken Noodles
- Love a comforting soup? Try my Easy Ham and Bean Soup
- Want an easy crowd pleaser? Try my Homemade Mississippi Pot Roast
- Need something creamy and satisfying? Try my One Pot Ground Beef Mushroom Stroganoff
- 1-1/2 cups Instant white rice
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can of water
- 4-6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl add instant rice, cream of mushroom soup, cream of celery soup, cream of chicken soup, and 1 can of water. Stir to combine.
- Pour the rice mixture into the prepared dish.
- Season your chicken with your desired amount of kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Place the chicken on top of the rice and top each piece of chicken with 1/2 tablespoon of butter.
- Add the casserole to the oven.
- Bake for 45 - 60 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and registers 160 degrees F.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 426Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 1164mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 17g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.