This gingerbread banana bread is the perfect combination of warm winter spices and sweet banana flavor. It’s packed with candied ginger, freshly grated ginger, and just a touch of molasses.
Gingerbread banana bread combines the warm and spicy flavors of gingerbread with the sweet and moist goodness of banana bread, creating a delightful mix of flavors!
I like to think of this banana bread as being the Christmas version of an old classic. In fact, that is how most of my banana bread recipes work.
Need a summer version of banana bread? Try my Coconut Rum Lime Glazed Banana Bread. Craving some springtime banana bread? Try my Carrot Cake Banana Bread. Want to travel back in time to spring 2020 when everyone was making things with sourdough bread? Try my Sourdough Discard Banana Bread.
But really, the deliciousness of gingerbread banana bread is the blend of spices, the natural sweetness of bananas, and the moist, comforting texture.
And it’s a flavorful and comforting treat that appeals to a wide range of taste preferences. Even kids will love this bread!
Table of Contents
Ingredients for gingerbread banana bread
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Spices: cinnamon, all spice, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Kosher salt
- Unsalted butter
- Dark brown sugar
- Grated fresh ginger
- Vanilla bean paste
- Maple extract
- Mashed bananas
- Crystalized ginger
Tips for gingerbread banana bread
- Use Ripe Bananas:
- The best bananas for banana bread are overripe ones with brown speckles on the skin. Overripe bananas are sweeter and provide a stronger banana flavor.
- Adjust Sugar Levels:
- Depending on your preference and the ripeness of your bananas, you can adjust the amount of sugar in the recipe. Riper bananas add natural sweetness, so you may reduce the sugar if you prefer a less sweet bread.
- Don’t Overmix:
- Overmixing the batter can lead to a dense and tough banana bread. Mix the ingredients until just combined to avoid overworking the gluten in the flour.
- Experiment with Flours:
- We use regular all-purpose flour in this recipe but you could try white whole wheat or even a 1 for 1 gluten free flour.
- Add Nuts or Chocolate:
- Enhance the texture and flavor by adding chopped nuts (like walnuts or pecans) or chocolate chips to the batter.
- Preheat the Oven:
- Make sure your oven is preheated before placing the banana bread in. This ensures that it starts baking at the right temperature, helping with the overall rise and texture.
- Use the Toothpick Test:
- To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the gingerbread banana bread. If it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs (not wet batter), it’s ready.
- Cool Properly:
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for about 10-15 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack. Cooling too quickly can result in a collapsed or overly dense loaf.
Storage and leftovers
You can store this bread covered and on the counter for up to 5 days.
If you want to strore your bread in the refridgerator it will last longer but can risk drying out.
One of my favorite ways to eat leftover banana bread is by spreading one side with butter and toasting it lightly in a skillet. It’s so cozy and delicious!
More gingerbread recipes
- Craving a tasty breakfast recipe? Try my Baked Gingerbread Oatmeal.
- Want a great start to the holiday? Try my Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls.
- Love a tasty cocktail? Try my Gingerbread Martini.
- Need a little holiday punch to your coffee? Try my Homemade Gingerbread Syrup.
Gingerbread Banana Bread
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 ounces unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas about 3 large bananas
- 2 ounces crystallized ginger roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, kosher salt, and cloves. Whisk together to combine, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer add melted butter, dark brown sugar, and molasses. Beat on medium heat until the mixture is combined, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the milk, freshly grated ginger, vanilla bean paste, and maple extract. Mix to combine, about 1 minute.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Mix in mashed bananas.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour until just combined.
- Fold in the diced crystallized ginger.
- Add the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the middle of the bread is set and when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.