This gingerbread banana bread is the perfect combination of warm winter spices and sweet banana flavor. It’s packed with candied ginger, freshly grated ginger and just a touch of molasses. You’ll love how easy it is to make this flavorful quick bread!
Can we talk about the joy and utter cheesiness of Hallmark Christmas movies? I know, I have this talk every. single. year. BUT really it’s the best time of the year. So many bad movies are coming out in rapid-fire succession and I freaking love it.
A holiday movie about a girl who dates a guy who happens to be a prince? YES PLEASE!
A holiday movie about a woman who bumps her and wakes up in her alternate life? YEP!
A holiday movie starring Cameron Candice Bure? Yeah, if she is in it I’m gonna watch.
Seriously, my life is one big cheesy movie fest and I’m honestly not even that mad about it. I embrace my love for all things bad movie.
Basically, I keep Lifetime and Hallmark in business.
When I’m not watching cheesy holiday movies I’m literally shoveling all the holiday crap into my wide open pie hole.
I cannot be trusted this time of the year. Why are the holidays all about sweets?
Can we get a holiday that isn’t all about sweets? I’m guessing not.
On the plus side, I can all the peanut butter buckeyes I want because it’s almost CHRISTMAS! And if you grew up in Ohio you would already know that Christmas = Buckeyes!
Now, for this gingerbread banana bread recipe, I took one of my favorite flavors (gingerbread!) and threw it into the classic banana bread.
I’m always letting bananas get too brown so I’m typically making banana bread every. single. week.
This time around I packed it with tons of fresh ginger flavor and little nuggets of crystallized ginger. Yes, crystallized ginger. So good! I also added in a little vanilla bean paste because IT’S THE BEST!
Did you see the vanilla bean persimmon crisp I made last week? I can’t get enough!
I like to think this gingerbread banana bread is perfect for breakfast but it does make an excellent dessert as well. My favorite way to eat this bread to lightly toast it and slather it with salted butter.
It’s heaven. Pure buttery gingerbread heaven.
Is it ok that I’m drooling as I’m writing this?
Love this gingerbread banana bread?
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large bananas)
- 2 ounces crystallized ginger, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, kosher salt, and cloves. Whisk together to combine, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer add melted butter, dark brown sugar, and molasses. Beat on medium heat until the mixture is combined, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the milk, freshly grated ginger, vanilla bean paste and maple extract. Mix to combine, about 1 minute.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Mix in mashed bananas.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour until just combined.
- Fold in the diced crystallized ginger.
- Add the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the middle of the bread is set and when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.