This pesto chicken Caprese pasta is packed full of pesto grilled chicken, grape tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and lots of basil. You’ll love this delicious pasta not only because it’s delicious but because it’s ready in just 30 minutes!
If there is one thing I’m craving at least weekly it’s pasta!
This pesto chicken Caprese pasta is topped with pesto grilled chicken, grape tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, and a balsamic glaze drizzle.
If flavorful pasta is your thing this recipe is just what you want.
Plus, if you’re celebrating the bounty of your garden you can use your own homemade pesto, pasta, cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil.
It’s the perfect summertime pasta!
Ingredients for pesto chicken caprese pasta:
- Chicken cutlets – These grill up easy and fast because they are much thinner than full chicken breasts.
- Pesto – I used store bought pesto for this recipe but if you have any homemade on hand that works well here too!
- Grape and diced tomatoes – I used a mixture of both fresh grape tomatoes for freshness and tinned diced tomatoes for
- Garlic – Would any Italian inspired dish be complete without garlic? Add more or less depending on your love of garlic.
- Pasta – I used fettuccine in this recipe but you can easily substitute any pasta shape you love or have on hand.
- Mozzarella balls – I used small marble sized balls of fresh mozzarella for delicious fresh flavor.
- Fresh basil – The addition of fresh basil gives this caprese pasta a fresh summer feel.
- Parmesan cheese – Just a touch for even more Italian flavor.
- Balsamic glaze – I love the tangy zip of Balsamic glaze but it’s optional. If you don’t feel like making it you can also pick up storebought
Substitutions and additions
If you’re looking for a few simple changes you could do I have you covered!
- Different protien or cut – Not a fan of chicken cutlets? Try my using boneless skinless chicken thighs. If you want to totally swap things up replace the chicken with grilled shrimp or steak.
- Swap up the pasta – For this post I used fettuccine pasta but you could easily use whatever past shape you have on hand. Any cut of long pasta or shape will likely work here.
- Change the cheese – If you can’t find fresh mozzarella feel free to leave it out or sprinkle in osme shredded mozzarella. The texture isn’t exactly the same but it will still taste great. If you can only find a large ball of fresh mozzarella simply cut it into squares.
- Make it from scratch – Don’t love storbought pesto? Why not make your own? Here are a few recipes you just might like Garlic Scape Pesto, Beet Green Pesto, or my pistachio mint pesto.
How to store
If you happen to have any leftover pasta it can easily be stored!
Add any leftovers to an airtight container and place them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat I like to add a little chicken stock or pesto to the pasta to help loosen it up and then warm in the microwave or on the stovetop.
More delicious pasta recipes
- Love an easy one pot pasta dish? Try my One Pot Ground Chicken Fajita Pasta.
- Craving a flavor packed pasta? Try my Pasta with Shrimp and Feta.
- Need an easy family friendly pasta? Try my Chicken Broccoli Ziti.
- My most popular pasta recipe! Try my Cajun Shrimp Alfredo.
Pesto Chicken Caprese Pasta
This pesto chicken Caprese pasta is packed full of pesto grilled chicken, grape tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and lots of basil. You'll love this delicious pasta not only because it's delicious but because it's ready in just 30 minutes!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken cutlets
- 1/4 cup store-bought pesto
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound pasta, cooked
- 1 pound small mozzarella balls
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 1/3 cup chiffonade basil
- 2 cups reserved pasta water
- Grated parm, for topping
- Crushed red pepper flakes, for topping
- Balsamic glaze, for topping
For balsamic glaze:
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Coat chicken in pesto and desired amount of kosher salt and pepper.
- Grill until fully cooked, set aside.
- In a large high-sided skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil and set over medium-high heat.
- Once hot add in the tomatoes blistering their skin until they just start to soften. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- To the same skillet add diced tomatoes and garlic.
- Simmer just for a few minutes just to combine flavors.
- Add in the cooked pasta and toss.
- Moisten the pasta with reserved pasta water if needed. You can also drizzle on a bit of olive oil or add more pesto if you desire.
- Add in blistered tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and fresh basil. Toss to combine.
- Sliced chicken and toss with pasta.
- If desired, sprinkle top with grated parm, crushed red pepper flakes, and balsamic glaze.
For balsamic glaze:
- Add balsamic vinegar to a small pan and set over medium-high heat.
- Once the vinegar starts to bubble turn the heat down to low and let simmer until thick and syrupy.
- Make sure to whisk or stir your glaze while you're cooking it down. DO NOT leave this unattended. You can go from perfect glaze to burn smelly mess in seconds.
- This whole process should take about 10 minutes and leave you with about 1/4 cup glaze.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1265Total Fat: 62gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 261mgSodium: 1238mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 6gSugar: 18gProtein: 89g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Pasta with Shrimp and Feta | Nutmeg Nanny
Tuesday 3rd of January 2023
[…] for even more pasta recipes? Try my Pumpkin Cauliflower Alfredo Meatball Pasta Bake, Pesto Chicken Caprese Pasta, One Pot Cheddar Cajun Pork Pasta, Zucchini Tomato Kale Pasta, Italian Sausage and […]
Sunday 21st of August 2022
This was delicious and I used the tomatoes and basil from my garden!
Garlic Scape Pesto | Nutmeg Nanny
Friday 3rd of June 2022
[…] beet green pesto, grilled lamb chops with pistachio mint pesto, grilled chicken pesto panini, pesto chicken Caprese pasta, cheesy pesto garlic bread, garlic shrimp pesto zoodles, cranberry pesto chicken burgers, turkey […]
Italian Sausage and Kale Pasta - Nutmeg Nanny
Thursday 19th of May 2022
[…] Pesto Chicken Caprese Pasta. […]
Cajun Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo - Nutmeg Nanny
Wednesday 9th of March 2022
[…] Need a perfect summer pasta? Try my Pesto Chicken Caprese Pasta. […]