This homemade Slovak potato halusky is made with fresh potatoes and flour and fried with bacon and cottage cheese. It’s Slovakian food at it’s finest.
You know those meals that get passed down from generation to generation?
This is one of those meals.
Hearty, homey and delicious. Art’s grandmother used to make this meal a lot when he was a child.
For almost four years I have listened to him talk about the deliciousness of these little potato dumplings.
Finally, on Saturday night we decided to give the recipes a try.
It was a lot of fun cooking with Art and the meal turned out delicious.
I helped fry the bacon (and eat the bacon) but Art did all the rest. I even taught him how to use my KitchenAid mixer.
He only got the speed and lock button mixed up once.
I know that mistake. I made it the first time I used it too.
The dumplings are not overly flavorful but when mixed with the bacon and cottage cheese it creates something wonderful.
They are a bit chewy but it plays well with the crunchy texture of the bacon.
The cottage cheese adds a nice bit of balance and little extra creaminess to the meal.
I hope that you will give this recipe a try. It’s a little different than anything I grew up eating but I can see why Art holds this recipe near and dear to his heart.
His biggest piece of advice about this recipe – the bacon is key.
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- Fill a large pot with water and set over high heat.
- When the water starts to boil add the kosher salt.
- Grate raw potatoes in a food processor or by hand.
- Put potatoes into the bowl of stand mixer and with paddle attachment mix in flour to make a stiff dough.
- Start with two cups and add more if necessary. You want the consistency to be slightly tacky but not wet or overly sticky.
- Cut small chucks of dough off a plate or a board into the boiling salted water.
- Cook 5 minutes or so until they float to the top. Remove from water and set aside on a plate.
- In a large frying pan fry bacon until very crispy, set aside.
- Leave at least 3 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pan.
- Add cooked potato dumplings (halusky) to the pan and put on low heat.
- Toss halusky in bacon grease and mix in cottage cheese and crumbled bacon. When everything is warmed through take off heat and serve.