These pumpkin spice latte cupcakes are moist, perfectly pumpkin and warm spiced cupcakes, with a little instant espresso powder, topped with smooth and sweet espresso and pumpkin spice buttercream.
Ever wish you could drink your pumpkin spice latte, and eat it too?
I’m a big fan of pumpkin spice-flavored treats, like my Pumpkin Spice Latte Coffee Cake!
These pumpkin spice latte cupcakes are fluffy and moist cupcakes, made with pureed pumpkin, freshly brewed coffee instant espresso (for a big and bold coffee flavor,) and warm pumpkin spice, topped with a smooth and creamy buttercream frosting that adds extra pumpkin spice and espresso flavors!
They are the perfect cozy treat for any autumnal party or potluck.
Not only do they taste amazing, but they fill your home with the warm and comforting scents of the fall.
Trust me, these pumpkin spice latte cupcakes are the ultimate fall treat!
Table of Contents
Ingredients for pumpkin spice latte cupcakes
- All-purpose flour – This is a common baking ingredient that will make up our cupcake batter.
- Brown sugar – Brown sugar has a deep molasses sweetness.
- Baking powder – Baking powder will make sure our cupcakes come out fluffy and light.
- Instant espresso powder – Instant espresso powder will give our pumpkin spice latte cupcakes a great coffee flavor without adding extra moisture.
- Pumpkin pie spice – Pumpkin pie spice will give these cupcakes a delicious blend of pumpkin spice flavor.
- Vegetable oil – Vegetable oil is the fat of choice for these cupcakes and will keep them tender and moist.
- Pumpkin puree – Pumpkin puree will give the cupcakes a pumpkin flavor and also add moisture!
- Whole milk – Whole milk will ensure that the batter is the perfect consistency.
- Strong coffee or espresso – This will give even more coffee flavor and help the consistency of the cupcake batter.
- Eggs – Eggs will help emulsify the ingredients together.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract will give the pumpkin spice latte cupcakes a sweet vanilla flavor.
- Unsalted butter – Unsalted butter is the perfect base for our buttercream.
- Instant espresso powder – Instant espresso powder will give the buttercream frosting a rich coffee flavor without adding any unnecessary moisture.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract will give the frosting a sweet vanilla flavor.
- Pumpkin pie spice – Pumpkin pie spice will give the frosting a tasty and warm flavor.
- Kosher salt – Kosher salt is important to help balance the flavors of the sweetness.
- Powdered sugar – powdered sugar is the perfect sugar to use for frosting because it can dissolve at room temperature.
What is pumpkin pie spice?
Pumpkin pie spice can be found easily in the spice aisle of most major grocery stores.
But there’s nothing wrong with wanting to make your own at home!
My favorite blend is cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. You can add more or less of each depending on your preferences.
Vegetable oil alternative
If you’re not a fan of vegetable oil, no worries!
You can use any other neutral flavored oil, like avocado, canola, or grapeseed oils in these pumpkin spice latte cupcakes.
What is instant espresso powder?
Instant espresso powder is made from a dark roasted coffee bean that is brewed and then dried, and the ground very finely so it can dissolve easily when ready to use.
You can find instant espresso powder in the coffee aisle of most major grocery stores, or online!
Storage and leftovers
Any leftover pumpkin spice latte cupcakes can be stored, and covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
More pumpkin spice recipes
- Looking for a fun and tasty treat for brunch? Try my Pumpkin Spice Apple Monkey Bread
- Need something to help you warm up on a cold night? Try my Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
- Want a cute treat for your next party? Try my Pumpkin Spice Macarons
- Like starting your day off with a delicious drink? Try my Pumpkin Spice Coffee Protein Shake
Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes
- 1 stick butter softened
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2-½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 cupcake tins with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, instant espresso, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In another bowl, combine the vegetable oil, pumpkin puree, whole milk, ¼ cup coffee, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until they are combined, be sure not to overmix!
- Divide the batter between the tins, filling each one ¾ of the way full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are warm, remove them to a wire rack and poke the top a few times with a fork.
- Drizzle over the remaining ¼ cup of coffee. I added about 1 teaspoon to the top of each cupcake.
- Set the cupcakes aside to cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting
- Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat it on medium speed until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla, espresso powder, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix to combine.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a little at a time.
- Once all of the sugar has been incorporated, turn the mixer to high speed and beat until the frosting becomes light and fluffy.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with your choice of tip – I used a Wilton 2A.
- Pipe the frosting on the cooled cupcakes and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.