This pumpkin spice hot chocolate is the perfect treat for after-trick-or-treating. Deliciously creamy milk and semi-sweet chocolate, with pumpkin pie spices and topped with mini marshmallows.
Everyone deserves a special treat at the end of a long night of trick-or-treating!
This pumpkin spice hot chocolate is perfectly packed with semi-sweet chocolate, maple syrup, warm pumpkin pie spice, creamy whole milk, and generously sprinkled with sweet mini marshmallows.
If you’re not a fan of mini marshmallows, feel free to switch them out for some whipped cream, or a sprinkle of chocolate shavings. (And for adults 21+ only, maybe even a splash of Baileys, or rum).
Trust me, everyone from boys and ghouls to dads and mummies will love sipping on this pumpkin spice hot chocolate!
Ingredients for pumpkin spice hot chocolate
- Whole milk and heavy cream – This is the base for our pumpkin spice hot chocolate, which will make it extra smooth and creamy.
- Semi-sweet chocolate – Not too sweet, and not too bitter, semi-sweet is the perfect balance for the best chocolatey flavor.
- Maple syrup – Maple syrup will add sweetness and also give us that classic fall maple flavor. Be sure to use maple syrup and not “pancake syrup” for this.
- Pumpkin pie spice – Feel free to use homemade or your favorite store-bought variety.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract helps bring all of the flavors together and adds sweetness.
Using alternative milks
You can absolutely swap out the whole milk and heavy cream that is used here, for alternative milk.
Just be sure to use the “unsweetened” varieties, so it doesn’t add too much sweetness and overpower the drink.
Toppings for hot chocolate
Feel free to use your favorite beverage toppings!
Mini marshmallows, whipped cream, cookie straws, chocolate shavings, or (for the adult crowd) a small splash of Baileys or your favorite dark rum, would all be perfect substitutions!
Storage and leftovers
Unfortunately, this pumpkin spice hot chocolate is best consumed immediately after it’s been made, but the recipe is very adaptable if you need less or more, just scale it to your needs!
More fall drink recipes
- Love all things apple? Try my Apple Crisp Macchiato.
- Looking for a Starbucks copycat? Try my Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew Coffee.
- Need more fall flavor? Try my Maple Whipped Coffee.
- Want something for the adult crowd? Try my Spiked Salted Caramel Coffee.
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a saucepan set over medium heat, bring the milk and cream to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Once simmering, add in the chocolate and continue stirring until fully melted.
- Remove from the heat and add in the maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract.
- Enjoy warm. Store any leftover hot chocolate in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 886Total Fat: 68gSaturated Fat: 42gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 3gSugar: 59gProtein: 14g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.