These sloppy Cubanos are the perfect spin to the traditional Sloppy Joe. A delicious mixture of ground pork, chorizo, spices, lime, and tomato piled high on a bun and topped with Swiss cheese and pickles. It’s the perfect mashup of a Cuban sandwich and Sloppy Joe.
I’m a huge sloppy Joe fan. I happily pile it high on a bun and ALWAYS serve it with crispy tater tots.
It’s my favorite childhood meal and totally reminds me of being a kid with each and every sloppy bite. These sloppy Cubanos take that childhood memory and shoots it into adulthood.
It’s a delicious mixture of ground pork, chorizo, spices, lime, tomato and then topped with Swiss cheese and pickles. It’s also like the sloppy cousin of the traditional Cuban sandwich.
Basically, this sandwich is packed full of flavor and you need to make it asap.
I originally made this recipe and sandwich back in 2010 but I decided it was time to give it a revamp and reshare this hidden gem. Since my blog wasn’t that big back in 2010 it’s sad to know that a lot of my old recipes don’t get a lot of traffic.
Anyway, that is why I decided to reshoot this baby and bring it back to the homepage!
PLUS who doesn’t love all things sloppy Joe? Or in this case Sloppy Cubanos.
Also, don’t skimp on the cheese and pickles at the end. No Sloppy Cubano or Cuban sandwich would be complete without cheese and pickles.
PLUS there is something magical about crisp tangy cold pickles on top of this sandwich. It’s my favorite part.
Oh, and because I used to be slightly obsessed with all thing Rachael Ray this recipe came from her!
Looking for even more delicious sandwiches?
- 1-1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground chorizo
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 6 large rolls
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- Kosher pickle slices
- Set a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat and add ground pork and chorizo. Break up the meat with a spatula and start browning the meat.
- After the meat is halfway browned add in the yellow onion, garlic, paprika, coriander, allspice, kosher salt and black pepper. Continue cooking until the meat is fully cooked and the onion is soft.
- Add in brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour in tomato sauce and chicken stock. Stir to combine and let the mixture simmer on medium heat until thick, about 10 minutes.
- Add an equal amount of meat to the rolls, top with Swiss cheese and pickle slices.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 854Total Fat: 57gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 203mgSodium: 1146mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 60g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.