This southwest steak salad with fried plantains is delicious and super easy to make! It’s PACKED with grilled steak, fried plantains, black beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, crunchy tortilla strips, and all drizzled with a homemade Greek yogurt cilantro dressing.
Summertime salads are the best!
This southwest steak salad with fried plantains can satisfy the hungriest crowds and can stand alone as a main course.
The combination of crispy fried plantains and grilled steak is delicious!
You’ll find every ingredient from the black beans, to the crispy tortilla strips, compliments each other in every bite.
Plus, you’re going to LOVE the tangy Greek yogurt cilantro dressing made right in your blender!
Table of Contents
Ingredients to make Southwest Steak Salad with Fried Plantains
- Skirt steak – Skirt steak works great in this recipe because it is affordable and flavorful!
- Plantains – Plantains are a starchier, savory cousin to the banana! They’re cooked before consumption and can be found at most local grocery stores.
- Black beans – Black beans provide extra protein and hold up well to the other ingredients and the dressing.
- Spices – The combination of the smoked paprika, chili powder, and cumin all give the steak a smoky southwest flavor, without being spicy.
- Cotija cheese – Cotija cheese is an aged Mexican cheese made from cow’s milk. It is similar in flavor to mild feta.
- Homemade dressing – This homemade dressing is creamy, cool, and tangy with the addition of Greek yogurt and lime juice. Feel free to substitute your favorite store-bought creamy dressing.
Other options for proteins
If you can’t find skirt steak, some great alternatives are flank steak or hanger steak.
You could also substitute sliced, grilled chicken breast as well, for a lighter meal.
How to determine if plantain is ripe
No stress is needed if you’ve never cooked with plantains before! I’m going to walk through picking the best of the best!
For this southwest steak salad with fried plantains recipe, you’ll want to look for plantains that are almost completely black in color.
Assuring that the plantain is fully ripe means you’ll end up with sweet soft-fried plantains.
Using store-bought dressing
You can absolutely use store-bought dressing!
There are a lot of great, easily accessible dressings at your local grocery store these days.
You’re most likely to find them in both the refrigerated section near the produce aisle and the dressing aisle.
Pick one that is creamy, for the perfect balance of flavors for this salad.
Craving another option for a homemade dressing? Try this flavor packed balsamic steak salad dressing!
Storage and leftovers of southwest steak salad with fried plantains
The grilled steak and fried plantains can be stored separately, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
The homemade dressing can be stored in a jar, or airtight container, for up to a week, in the refrigerator.
More steak recipes
- Love grilled steak? Try my Chimichurri Flank Steak
- Craving something sweet and savory? Try my Grape and Blue Cheese Flank Steak
- Want a tangy steak salad? Try my Flat Iron Steak with Balsamic Roasted Radicchio
- Need to go back to basics? Check out my How to Grill the Perfect Steak
Southwest Steak Salad with Fried Plantains
- 6 ounces skirt steak
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ripe plantain
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 ripe avocado thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup corn kernels lightly steamed
- 1/4 cup tortilla strips
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese crumbled
- Preheat your grill to high heat.
- Mix smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, kosher salt, and pepper together and sprinkle on both sides of your steak.
- Grill until desired doneness and let rest.
- Peel your plantain and slice 1/2 inch slices.
- Add olive oil to a 12-inch skillet and place over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot add in the plantains and cooks on both sides until golden brown. Remove from the oil and let drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large salad bowl add lettuce and top with avocado, cherry tomatoes, black beans, corn, tortilla strips, crumbled cotija cheese, and fried plantains.
- Slice steak and place over salad. Drizzle with dressing and devour.
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered mixer or food processor and puree until smooth and creamy.