This brown butter vanilla bean apple crisp is the perfect addition to your fall dessert menu. Made with delicious fresh apples, tons of vanilla bean paste, and crumbly crisp topping, you’ll love this!
Oh heyyyyyyy, it’s apple season! I know. The second it turns September and us crazy bloggers go straight into fall apple and pumpkin mode. We can’t help it. It’s in our nature. But, really can you blame us? I wait all year long for it to be apple season. I also wait all year long for fall because it’s gorgeous, it’s hoodie/flip-flop weather, AND I get to wear sweaters so I can hide all those extra pounds I put on by eating “comfort” food.
Double plus for this recipe because it contains vanilla bean paste my most favorite thing on the planet earth. I know, I won’t shut up about it. If you haven’t bought some yet you really need to. I literally put it in everything. In fact, I rarely even use vanilla extract anymore because vanilla beans take everything to the next level.
Oh, and don’t forget the brown butter. That’s totally next level.
Now, the first thing you should know is that I made this brown butter vanilla bean apple crisp recipe back in 2011 and decided it needed a little refresh. You’ll see that I do that a lot because back in 2011 I barely had any readers. Now it’s 2018 and I just a fewwwwww more readers.
Good news for me but it also means that a lot of you have no idea what I was doing back in 2011. So, I’m sharing it again! But, obviously, I updated the post content and gave you new pictures. Trust me, these pictures show the beauty of this recipe WAY better than the old ones.
And I was really craving apple crisp so redoing this recipe gave me an excuse to make this brown butter vanilla bean apple crisp that felt somewhat legit. I mean, a craving is legit but we all know I do not need to be eating apple crisp on a random Tuesday.
Wanna know why?
Well, the answer is because I’ll make this crisp. Then I’ll take a bite of this crisp. Then another bite. And then another.
Basically, I’ll eat the whole freaking crisp and share nothing with Art because I cannot be trusted with warm baked goods and I’m rude.
However, I sacrificed and made the crisp. And I ate the crisp. But it’s ok. Now you can make this brown butter vanilla bean crisp and jump right into the fall spirit with me.
Looking for more delicious crisp recipes? Try my caramel apple crisp pizza, double berry apple crisp, vanilla sugar peach crisp, frozen cherry crisp, strawberry rhubarb crisp, pear crisp with vanilla brown butter, or my slow cooker fruit crisp.
Brown Butter Vanilla Bean Apple Crisp
This brown butter vanilla bean apple crisp is the perfect addition to your fall dessert menu. Made with delicious fresh apples, tons of vanilla bean paste, and crumbly crisp topping, you'll love this!
- 5 baking apples, peeled, cored, and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and set aside an 8x8 baking dish.
- Mix together the apples, brown sugar, vanilla bean paste, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add the mixture to your 8x8 dish.
- Top with topping and bake for 35-35 minutes.
- Add butter to a small light-colored skillet and melt over medium heat. Stir or swirl the pan frequently. (Using a light-colored pan helps to be able to see the color of the flecks in the browned butter.)
- Once the butter is melted it will start to foam and then subside. You will see small flecks at the bottom of the pan. When they have reached light brown and the butter smells nutty it is ready.
- Browned butter can burn very flip-flop so if the flecks turn black you will have to throw it out and start over.
- Once your butter is ready, take it off the heat and let it slightly cool.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl add flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Pour the butter over the mixture and stir to combine.
- The mixture will look crumbly and the mixture should be evenly incorporated.
Vanilla Bean Persimmon Crisp - Nutmeg Nanny
Friday 19th of November 2021
[…] Love brown butter? Try my Brown Butter Vanilla Bean Apple Crisp. […]
Blueberry Peach Cast Iron Crisp - the flavor of summer in crisp form!
Tuesday 15th of June 2021
[…] Brown Butter Vanilla Bean Apple Crisp […]
Easy Apple Turnovers | Nutmeg Nanny
Wednesday 14th of October 2020
[…] Brown Butter Vanilla Bean Apple Crisp […]
Sandra | A Dash of Sanity
Monday 10th of September 2018
I will definitely try this! Looks absolutely amazing!
Wednesday 5th of September 2018
This apple crispy sounds to die for. I love all the flavors of fall that you have mixed in.