French Onion Salisbury Steak

French Onion Salisbury Steak by Nutmeg Nanny

Today was one of those days. Rainy and blah. I hate these days. I usually want to just lay in bed and sleep but today I decided that I was not going to let the rain get the best of me. I went shopping and got everything I needed for a kitchen full of delicious home cooked food! I have made this meal before but to be honest I forgot about it. Not because it was boring or bland, but because that is what happens when I try tons of new recipes and don’t write down which ones I liked.

Now this French onion Salisbury steak is nothing like the stuff that comes in a box and resembles a TV dinner.  It’s flavorful, hearty and delicious. Also it’s not full of weird chemicals and preservatives that you can’t pronounce. The sauce is made up of delicious sautéed onions mixed with beef stock and red wine. When you pour it over the meat it is a match made in heaven. It’s amazing.

By the way who agrees with me that a big pan of sautéing onions smells like heaven. I’m going to have to say that it’s one of my top ten favorite smells…. :)

French Onion Salisbury Steak by Nutmeg Nanny

1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Pinch of paprika
1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

Source: Cuisine at Home magazine

For Salisbury steak:
Combine chuck, parsley, scallion, salt and pepper. Divide evenly into 4 portions and shape each into 3/4"-1" thick oval patties. Place 2 tablespoons flour in a shallow dish; dredge each patty in flour. Reserve 1 teaspoon flour.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and saute 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove from pan.

Add onions and sugar to pan; saute 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and tomato paste; saute 1 minute, or until paste begins to brown. Sprinkle onions with reserved flour; cook 1 minute. Stir in broth and wine, then add the salt and thyme.

Return meat to pan and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.

Serve steaks on Cheese Toasts with onion soup ladled over. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan.

For the Cheese Toasts:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place bread on baking sheet.

Combine butter, garlic and paprika and spread on one side of each slice of bread. Combine cheeses and sprinkle evenly over butter. Bake until bread is crisp and cheese is bubbly, 10-15 minutes.

18 Responses to “French Onion Salisbury Steak”

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is — April 27, 2010 at 5:39 am

This sounds incredible! My husband would go crazy for it.

jenn — April 27, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Good thing you stocked your kitchen otherwise you wouldn’t have been able to make this deliciously drool-worthy steak. I like a load of onions on mine. :)

Heavenly Housewife — April 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm

OMG, this looks so delicious. I want it, and i want it now.
    *kisses* HH

Jen_from_NJ — April 27, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Delicious comfort food on a rainy day – love it! Those onions look so good!

grace — April 27, 2010 at 5:56 pm

would you like to know my favorite part of this? it’s the steam wafting up from your gorgeous dish. man, i wish i could smell it. :)

• addy replied: — April 28th, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

You know, the instant I looked at that picture, I *could* smell Salisbury steak! The problem being I have no ingredients and am moving in two days so I can’t make this. YET! Oh, why am I torturing myself by looking at recipes with no food in the house…

Cookie — April 27, 2010 at 7:00 pm

YUM! What an amazing combo!

Faith — April 27, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I love that steaming 1st pic! You’re right, this looks 1 million times better than anything premade! Plus if you buy it premade, you miss out on the delicious smell of sauteing onions. ;)

Sue — April 27, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I can just feel the heat and smell the onions…:) Great photos!

Reeni — April 28, 2010 at 10:06 am

This looks fantastic! I love everything about it right down to the cheese toasts. Very comforting. I love rain! When I wake up and see clouds I get happy. I’m weird.

Mimi — April 28, 2010 at 11:34 am

Looks delicious, a lot of great flavors all tied together.
    Mimi

5 Star Foodie — April 28, 2010 at 12:00 pm

A terrific steak, great combo of flavors, yum!

Michelle — September 23, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Such a delicious and classy version of salisbury steak, thank you so much for the recipe!

1. Pingback: Brown Butter Toasted Coconut Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies |