Cast Iron Chicken

This cast iron chicken is full of rosemary and lemon flavor and perfect for dinner…

Cast Iron Chicken from Nutmeg Nanny

Chicken is one of my go to meals. It almost always pleases the hubby-to-be and can be made in no time. I found this recipe via Pinterest and I’m so very glad I gave it a try! I’m telling you, Pinterest is almost better than cookbook in my kitchen. So many tasty pictures, so little time.

Cast Iron Chicken from Nutmeg Nanny

The crispy skin is probably my favorite part about this meal. Who doesn’t love crispy skin? If you are one of those weird people who refuse to eat skin you are missing out. It’s full of flavor and so crispy….it will knock your socks off!

Cast Iron Chicken from Nutmeg Nanny

Also, I made this dish earlier in the day and re-heated it for dinner and it still turned out perfect. No dry chicken in my house! Well, that’s not true. Sometimes there is dry chicken but not this chicken. I promise.

Cast Iron Chicken from Nutmeg Nanny

The bottom layer is full of soft potatoes and meaty mushrooms. You could use whole baby red potatoes for a nicer look but all I had were regular sized potatoes and it worked out fine. It’s totally up to you.

Cast Iron Chicken from Nutmeg Nanny

37 Responses to “Cast Iron Chicken”

Cathy @ Savory Notes — September 11, 2012 at 11:28 am

YUM. Growing up, my mom always removed the skin before cooking chicken, and never let us eat it… but when I started cooking for myself, I finalllly got to enjoy the delicious, crispy, tastiness. Oh, and these pictures are beautiful! Great job :)

• Brandy replied: — September 12th, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

Oh man. That would have made me so sad. Skin is the best part!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — September 11, 2012 at 11:32 am

YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM!!!

• Brandy replied: — September 12th, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

Thanks!

Jenny — September 11, 2012 at 11:35 am

This is right up my alley. Love chicken and the pictures are outstanding. I think I’ll make this dish this weekend – this week is all simple fast things because so much work going on around our house!

• Brandy replied: — September 12th, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

I hope you give it a try and love it! It was perfect for this cool late summer weather :)

Rachel Cooks — September 11, 2012 at 11:40 am

This is gorgeous!

• Brandy replied: — September 12th, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

Thank you friend!

Mal @ The Chic Geek — September 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm

yum! This looks so wonderful for a fall supper- I’ll definitely be making it soon

• Brandy replied: — September 12th, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

Thank! I hope you give it a try!

Green Skies and Sugar Trips — September 11, 2012 at 1:43 pm

LOVE love love pinterest!!!!!

Are those potatoes AND mushrooms?!?! Sweet baby jesus in a manger I want some now!!

• Brandy replied: — September 12th, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

We need a dinner date!

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — September 11, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Way to remind me I don’t have a cast-iron skillet, Brandy. SIGH.

• Brandy replied: — September 12th, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

Sorry friend! Add it to your Christmas wish list :)

Joanne — September 11, 2012 at 9:20 pm

When I ate meat I had SUCH a hard time making chicken look good, but girl this is GORGEOUS!

• Brandy replied: — September 12th, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

Thank you! I have to admit, I was very happy the way these pictures turned out!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — September 12, 2012 at 10:08 am

My kids totally refuse to eat the skin. I love how crispy it can get.

• Brandy replied: — September 12th, 2012 @ 12:02 pm

Why are kids so crazy? That stuff is gold…hahaha :)

Emily — September 12, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Mmm, I’m so excited for Fall food and to break out my cast iron and Dutch oven! Also I have a few Meyer lemons on hand which will be fabulous with this dish!

Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} — September 12, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Oh.Em.Gee. I need to make this. I love anything with chicken thighs! This is a beautiful dish! I will be tring this!!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — September 12, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Oh baby! Look at that skin!!! Lemin, rosemary, and chicken, how could you go wrong!?!? I’m adding this to my must try list… The ever growing list!

LeeH — September 13, 2012 at 9:24 am

The only nice my mother-in-law (cough-Marie Barone-cough) ever did for me was give me her cast iron pans.

Lyndsey@TinySkillet — September 13, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I love my cast iron skillet and your chicken looks perfect! I always have rosemary on hand because I have several plants in my yard…that and sage! Yum!

bellini — September 14, 2012 at 8:26 am

Pinterest has been a source of great recipes for me as well. They ar eso visually appealing that I will need to live forever to make them all in my own kitchen.

Javelin Warrior — September 14, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’m drooling! And it’s all in one pan, which I love… This is such a beautiful change from boring, plain-jane chicken… I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution as always). Thanks for always inspiring me with your creations…

Suzanne — September 26, 2012 at 1:18 am

Brandy, this dish looks heavenly, what a comforting dish to make especially for the cozy Fall weather ahead! BTW your blog looks wonderful!!

Faith — October 5, 2012 at 11:35 pm

This looks delicious, I love using chicken thighs in their own dish like this…they are so full of flavor! I love your photos in this post too — gorgeous!

Patti Davis — February 28, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I made this last night and it was just as pretty as the picture! And delicious! My husband loved it. One tweak – I didn’t have regular potatoes, so I used sweet potatoes. It was perfect! Thank you!!!

Mary — October 14, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Wow, this really did come out nicely. However, I actually used thyme instead of rosemary. I’m not exactly an experienced cook, so it was purely a mistake on my part, but it came out great regardless. If anything, I think I would lighten up on the lemon juice, as it seemed to be a bit strong. But that’s the only change I would make. And yes, it did look that good when it was done. I highly recommend this. Great recipe!

• nutmegnanny replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 10:07 pm

Hi Mary! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe. Using thyme instead of rosemary does sound lovely!

carmella king — October 22, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I had some problems with this dish. I put chicken in skin down like you said. I took them out when the skin was crisp and brown. I then put potatoes, mushrooms, etc back in skillet, but there was no way to continue cooking the chicken by putting it on top of the potatoes. The potatoes were hard to turn and keep from burning, and the skin on the chicken wasn’t as crisp because of steam from cooking potatoes. The flavors were good, and it looked delicious…..just needs some tweaking!

Marie — December 21, 2013 at 10:36 pm

OMG this was so good! I’m a relative cast iron newbie and found your recipe via Pinterest. Thank you thank you. Crispy chicken, tender potatoes, just the right amount of pucker. Seriously, I could double, no triple the mushrooms! Delish!!!

Rikki S — January 4, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Could I use a Dutch oven in place of a cast iron skillet or would that totally ruin the recipe?

• nutmegnanny replied: — January 4th, 2014 @ 9:30 pm

Not at all! The chicken might not get as crispy around the edges but I think it would still work if you cooked them uncovered :)

Rikki S — January 12, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Great! Thanks. I will put this on my list for next week :)

Nicole — January 16, 2014 at 7:58 am

I plan on making this dish over the weekend. However the directions are a little confusing but it never actually specifies that you put the removed chicken back in the skillet. It’s almost as if a small paragraph is missing. I can only assume when you put the chicken back in you put it in cooked side up.

Regardless this sounds heavenly and I can’t wait to make it!

• nutmegnanny replied: — January 16th, 2014 @ 10:37 pm

Hi Nicole! I went into the system and worded the directions so they are a bit more clear. I hope you love the dish!