Simple Roasted Cabbage

This simple roasted cabbage is perfect with your weeknight supper or on your Thanksgiving table. Perfectly roasted and full of delicious flavor.

Growing up we used grew cabbage in our vegetable garden and ate it all summer long. Grilled, in soup, roasted and even sautéed. Sadly, cabbage has a pretty bad rap – It causes too much gas, it smells the house up…

Um.

You get the point.

Here is the thing. This stuff is amazing. Don’t give up on this vegetable. The best part is that it’s cheap.

Listen, I’m all for the more expensive vegetables. My top two favorites are Brussels sprouts and asparagus. However, sometimes I don’t feel like paying $4.99, or more, a pound for my vegetables. I know, I’m cheap.

This cabbage dish is simple and would make a lovely addition to your Thanksgiving spread. It’s simply drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Sometimes simple is delicious.

Simple Roasted Cabbage

Yield: 4 servings

• 1 large green cabbage head
  • olive oil
  • kosher salt
  • fresh cracked pepper

Source: Nutmeg Nanny

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Slice cabbage into 1 inch wide pieces. Cut out the core and lay onto silpat or olive oil greased rimmed sheet pan.

Drizzle about 1 teaspoon olive oil over each slice. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Roast for about 15 - 20 minutes until cabbage is soft, a little brown but not burnt.

8 Responses to “Simple Roasted Cabbage”

Joanne — November 16, 2012 at 11:47 am

I never seen cabbage prepared this way before! But given how much I adore every other roasted veggie…I’m thinking I’d love this!

Mackenzie @SusieFreakingHomemaker — November 16, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Roasted cabbage?? I would have never come up with it!! Just love this idea!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — November 18, 2012 at 9:12 am

I love this!!!! Cabbage rocks.

Karen — November 19, 2012 at 1:44 am

I love cabbage (partly due to my Polish heritage). I always buy it to make in a recipe but usually end up just eating it sautéed or roasted. So simple and so delicious, love to see another cabbage lover out there!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — November 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I loooove cabbage! I’ve been meaning to try roasting it but I always forget when I have a cabbage(plus, hubby always complains about cabbage). I must try this next time though!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — November 27, 2012 at 6:49 pm

My favorite way to make any veggie lately is to roast them. That said, I’ve never roasted cabbage but I do love it. I will definitely be making roasted cabbage soon Brandy. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Robin Machado — November 10, 2014 at 10:45 pm

My daughter came and visited while my husband was in the hospital she helped me with the shopping along with cooking. We had a wonderful time where she showed her ol’ momma a thing or two about cooking. This was one of the dishes she said we had to try and make. We fell in love with it. It was wonderful. Just plan great. Simple, easy, tastes great. So now I make ourselves roasted dinner nights, sliced sweet potatoes, cabbage sliced, sliced cauliflower, or nice new potatoes and serve it with a roasted meat. The meat comes out and rests while we slide a pan of vegetables in to roast. Simple easy, fresh cooking Yup that works.

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 11th, 2014 @ 2:00 pm

Hi Robin! Thank you so much sharing this story! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe and I hope your husband is feeling better!