Looking for an easy holiday side dish? These Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes are just that! Easy to make, full of flavor, and don’t take up precious stove space!
Looking for an easy side dish for your holiday dinner? These Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes are the perfect recipe!
Sweet and simple this recipe is easy to make and doesn’t require the use of your stove!
Which, if you’re busy making a holiday dinner is always a plus!
I kep the seasonings simple for this recipe BUT you can easily switch it up by adding cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, or even a teaspoon of freshly grated ginger.
These mashed sweet potatoes are so easy to make and a less sweet option to sweet potato casserole.
What is an Instant Pot?
There are a lot of horror stories about using old-fashioned stovetop pressure cookers but these are much safer and WAY easier to use.
They use high-pressurized steam to help cook meat and vegetables at a much quicker rate than traditional stovetop or slow cooker options.
Instant Pots are VERY easy to use and very safe. Don’t worry if you’re new to the electric pressure cooker world. You will absolutely LOVE it!
What is the difference between an Instant Pot and an electric pressure cooker?
Instant Pot is a brand name electric pressure cooker. Since most people recognize the name “Instant Pot” and think of an electric pressure cooker it’s often easier to just title a recipe with IP in the name.
I have also used the crock pot version electric pressure cooker with equally delicious results.
This is the same as most people calling a plastic bandage a Band-aid or a tissue a Kleenex. Over time the brand names become synonymous with a type of product.
What is the difference between natural release and quick release?
When a recipe calls to let your Instant Pot “natural release” it means your pressure cooker will naturally (and very slowly) release the pressure.
Many recipes call to let the pressure cooker natural release for a period of time because this help the recipe cook just a little longer.
Since the pressure cooker will be slowly losing pressure you do not have to do anything and it will eventually lose all its pressure and the lid will unlock.
When a recipe calls for quick release this means you will manually be letting the pressure out of the Instant Pot.
You will have to turn the vent to the “venting” position and a bunch of hot steam will come out of the vent. It is very important that you do not put your hand in the steam as it is VERY HOT.
This will then immediately unlock the lid and the food can be served.
Ingredients to make mashed sweet potatoes?
- Sweet potatoes – I used standard sweet potatoes in this recipe but feel free to swap them out for russet or Yukon gold potatoes.
- Water – This helps the sweet potatoes cook and stops them from sticking to the inside of the Instant Pot.
- Kosher salt – A touch of seasoning!
- Black pepper – A little spice.
- Half and half – I love using half and half because it makes the mashed sweet potatoes creamy and smooth. For even richer potatoes use heavy cream!
- Unsalted butter – This adds just a touch of richness and great flavor! You can awlays add more or less butter if you’re a big fan.
Can I add any other seasonings to this recipe?
Yes, of course!
This is a BASIC recipe that is sort of a clean slate that you can jazz up however you like.
Here are a few fun options for mix-ins.
- Cinnamon – This adds a touch of classic sweet potato flavor.
- Pumpkin pie spice – Very similar to cinnamon but with the addition of nutmeg and ginger.
- Freshly grated ginger – I like to use freshly grated ginger but you could use dried as well.
- Fresh thyme – Go savory and add in some minced fresh herbs.
- Parmesan cheese – I love the idea of fresh herbs. mixed with cheesy salty Parmesan cheese.
- Brown sugar – Love sweet mashed sweet potatoes? Add some brown sugar with a dash of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.
- Molasses – Don’t have any brown sugar on hand? Try molasses!
- Toasted pecans – If you like a little crunch try adding in some toasted pecans. Toasted walnuts could work here too.
- Minced garlic – Go the savory route and throw in a little garlic!
Here are a few put together ideas :
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheeese
- 1 teaspon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced thyme leaves
How to make Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes?
Making these potatoes are so easy!
My favorite part is not having to use one of the burners on my stove. They are always in demand during the holiday cooking extravaganza.
Do you make these Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes you simply add the sweet potatoes, water, kosher salt, and black pepper to the Instant Pot.
Put on the lid, cook them for 12 minutes, vent, drain the potaotes, and add them back to the pot.
Then you’ll add in your half and half, butter and other mix-ins you desire.
Love these Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes?
Why not try a few of my other delicious holiday side dish recipes?!
- Love roasted sweet potatoes? Try my Roasted White Sweet Potatoes with Honey Cinnamon Glaze.
- Want a centerpiece side dish? Try my On The Stalk Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
- Need a classic holiday side dish? Try my Honey Roasted Carrots.
- Craving a fun salad? Try my Tangy Brussels Sprout Apple Slaw.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Add the sweet potatoes, water, and kosher salt to the Instant Pot.
- Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the "sealing" position.
- Set the Instant Pot to "pressure cook -manual high" for 12 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking, release the pressure manually by switching the valve to the "venting" position - be careful it might splatter!
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the Instant Pot.
- Add the half and half and butter.
- Use a potato masher or immersion blender to process the potatoes to your desired consistency.
- Serve warm and store any leftover potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.