Vitamix Hot Chocolate

This Vitamix hot chocolate is rich and creamy. Bonus – it can be made in only 5 minutes!

Last Saturday my life changed. After months of hoarding Williams-Sonoma gift cards I finally had enough to buy my Vitamix. This thing is amazing. It makes delicious coffee frappes, powers through frozen fruit and makes perfect hot frothy hot chocolate. I honestly had no idea that I could make Vitamix hot chocolate in my new friend until Jen from My Kitchen Addiction let me in on the secret. Thank you Jen.

I slightly adapted a recipe I found in my Vitamix cookbook…which if I had thoroughly read when I received I would have known I could make hot chocolate. Because it’s “cooked” in the Vitamix it comes out perfectly hot and frothy. I could live off this stuff if it was actually healthy. Why can’t vegetables taste like hot chocolate? I shouldn’t complain, I actually like vegetables. However, they still don’t taste like hot chocolate. Am I right?

Vitamix Hot Chocolate

Yield: 2 mugs hot chocolate

1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash ground cinnamon
Whipped cream

Source: Adapted from Vitamix

Add all ingredients except the whipped cream into your Vitamix blender. If you have a Vitamix Blender that has a hot soup preset option set it and forget it! (Well, don't forget it...drink it after it's done) After your hot chocolate is finished pour it into a mug, top with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.

If your Vitamix does not have a preset option simple blend on high until hot. This will take about 4 minutes.

* If you don't have a Vitamix you could simply heat the milk, add the ingredients to your blender and blend. Or you could simply do it on the stove top as well.

Vitamix and Williams-Sonoma do not know I exist and I’m just saying nice things because I really love them both :)

31 Responses to “Vitamix Hot Chocolate”

Jessica / Burlap and Butter Knives — January 10, 2013 at 8:24 am

Oh. My. GAWD. ( I know shocker I didn’t say BJ right?) I’m not gonna mention BJ, because ever since he lost his mom in the tragic Vitamix accident of 08, we just don’t talk about VM and BJ in the same sentence… it was traumatic!

Anyhow! Congratulations on the new addition to the family! Oh I am so excited for you, are you having a shower? There is nothing like the day you realize what magic you and Vitamix can make… oh sweet sweet memories I have of him from my CIA days. ;-)

I can’t wait to come over and see the new little one!!! xoxoxo

• Brandy replied: — January 10th, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

Hahaha I love you.

Jessica / Burlap and Butter Knives — January 10, 2013 at 8:27 am

PS

Love Love Love the burlap! <3

Keeley @ My Life on a Plate — January 10, 2013 at 9:17 am

Please, please, please be my Vitamix buddy! I bought one right after Christmas and I’m obsessed! I need someone who shares my love of all things slushy and frothy. I’m planning to do a post on my blog about my Vitamix and I’m probably going to create a new recipe category. Keep the recipes coming! I’m telling everyone that they’re worth the investment.

• Brandy replied: — January 10th, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

I’m soooooo your Vitamix buddy! I’m thinking of making a new category too. There is so much to be made….I can’t wait to see your tortilla soup recipe!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — January 10, 2013 at 10:03 am

Oh i want want want a vitamix!! (even though i have a blendtec). This looks great!!

• Brandy replied: — January 10th, 2013 @ 3:16 pm

Even though you have a Blendtec there is no reason you cannot get a Vitamix :) Then when it’s margarita night you can have both going!

CHAR SLOVENZ — January 10, 2013 at 10:56 am

I want a Vitamix blender but I want the one that fits under the counter. Then watch out world, here I come!

• Brandy replied: — January 10th, 2013 @ 3:15 pm

I bought the model that fits under the cabinets! It’s the 750 :) It still has a 64 ounce canister but it’s shorter and fatter than the old style.

Joanne — January 10, 2013 at 3:11 pm

SO.COOL. I have been wishing for a vitamix for FOREVER.

And I LOVE those starbucks cups. i want one of those also. :P

megan @ whatmegansmaking — January 11, 2013 at 6:36 am

Oh I am so jealous of you having a vitamix! one quick question – where do you find espresso powder? I can never find it!

• Brandy replied: — January 11th, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

Hi Megan :) King Arthur Flour makes a great espresso powder and I have also found it in the coffee section near the instant coffee. Hope you find it soon!

Dina — January 11, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I am going to go make this right now! I was just thinking of making some coffee but this sounds better!

Megan, King Arthur Flour makes a really nice espresso powder. It’s all I use in my baking. I’m going to try it in my hot chocolate and I will report back with my results.

• Brandy replied: — January 11th, 2013 @ 8:39 pm

Hi Dina! I just recommended the espresso powder from KAF to Megan and then I realized you did too! I’m so happy you gave the hot chocolate a try and liked it. Sadly I’m at work right now or I would totally make a batch :)

Dina — January 11, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I just tried this and it was great! I love that it’s made with ingredients that I have on hand. I only have lowfat milk and half & half, so I mixed them in place of whole milk. I added 1/2 tsp of my King Arthur Flour espresso powder and I left out the cinnamon. My husband and I loved this. So rich and delicious. A nice treat on a Friday afternoon. :-)

I love the idea of a whole section dedicated to Vitamix recipes. I know I’m not using mine to it’s full capacity.

Kerstin — January 12, 2013 at 10:50 am

I got a Vitamix last year and didn’t know you could make hot chocolate with it – what a great idea! :)

Erica — January 12, 2013 at 9:31 pm

omgosh that looks amazing!!!!!! congrats on the new purchase

BigFatBaker — January 13, 2013 at 12:16 am

OMG! I have a vitamix and didn’t know you could do this! This is going to be dangerous for me though…

Tracy — January 13, 2013 at 2:31 pm

LOVE my vitamix and didn’t know you could make hot chocolate! I just made it with 2% milk but added a little sugar-was a little bitter for me (didn’t have espresso powder). It was really good. My favorite thing to make is ice cream out of frozen strawberries or peaches (I freeze them from fresh, the already frozen ones have NO flavor), a little milk, vanilla and honey. Best ice cream ever. The tortilla soup is great too! I have my kids (6 and 8) drinking smoothies with spinach-who would have thought??!!

Travis S. Taylor — January 15, 2013 at 10:10 pm

“Why can’t vegetables taste like hot chocolate?”…Thanks Nutmeg Nanny! I’ll be asking myself that question every meal from here to eternity! :) I soooo enjoy your posts! :)

Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama — January 16, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I had no idea!!! I have a Blendtec and absolutely adore it but I didn’t even think about making hot chocolate in it! Trying this ASAP! Side note: last time I tried to make hot chocolate on the stove top my 1 year old spilled the hot milk on his head and ended up with 2nd degree burns. This would definitely be a safer option :)

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — January 18, 2013 at 7:51 am

OMG this is genius!!!!! Just saw this through Thrifty Veggie Mama’s post. LOVE THIS!!

Katie | The Hill Country Cook — March 2, 2013 at 10:55 pm

WHAAAA? You should NOT have showed me this! SHOULD NOT! I hear breakfast calling my name!

Thom — September 18, 2013 at 2:33 am

WOW! We tried it and this is a keeper! We plan on using this recipe a LOT this winter for our hot chocolate to drink while we’re in the hot tub outside when it’s freezing (or below).

Thanks!

Foodiewife — October 24, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I finally broke down and bought a Vitamix a few months ago. Of course, I’ve made healthy smoothies. I’ve made enchiladas sauce, using real tomatoes and love it. But, I also make kicka$$ margaritas because I use the whole fruit. Not healthy, but definitely good stuff. Love the idea of hot chocolate. Thanks for the inspiration.

Pam Sohan — October 24, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I LOVE my Vitamix. A friend bought it for me. Her son lived with us for almost a whole summer and this was my reward for not killing him. LOL He was 4 at the time and I was way past that stage as my kids were 14 and 17 at the time.

I will be trying this recipe soon !

1. Pingback: Friday Ramblings |

2. Pingback: Nutmeg Nanny Gingerbread White Hot Chocolate {Vitamix Giveaway} » Nutmeg Nanny

3. Pingback: Nutmeg Nanny Top Recipes of 2013 » Nutmeg Nanny

4. Pingback: Chicken Enchiladas with Poblano Sauce - Healthy. Delicious.

5. Pingback: 50 Hot Chocolate Recipes - Rachel Cooks