These chewy caramel oatmeal bars are super easy to make and make the perfect dessert treat for any holiday party. They are a delicious combination of oatmeal cookies, chewy caramel, and chocolate.
On Saturday Art and I were driving to our friend’s house and I blurt out “don’t all these people know it’s too soon to be decorating for Christmas?”
To which he replied “Brandy, it’s December. People are allowed to be decorated for Christmas.”
I went to reply and then I realized he was right and I totally forgot it was December.
Seriously, how did December show up so quickly?
So now I’m in holiday mode and realized it was time to get some holiday goodies on the blog.
Now, these bars aren’t actually new to the blog but I posted them in 2009 and I’m pretty sure no one saw them because I’m sure my only reader in 2009 was my mom and maybe my husband.
I make these chewy caramel oatmeal bars almost every holiday season because they are super simple to make and are a great addition to almost any holiday cookie tray.
They are chewy and PACKED full of delicious flavor.
The crust is like a soft oatmeal cookie and then it’s topped with melted caramel, chocolate, and more soft oatmeal cookie topping – YASSSSSS!
Also, can we talk about something totally off-topic?
I’m currently obsessed with doing puzzles and I just bought a new puzzle and the winter scene is legit AF.
I want to crawl into the scene and live there.
But the bigger issue is that I’m sure liking puzzles basically makes me 80 years old.
I remember growing up and my mom used to love doing puzzles so basically, I grew up and became my mother.
More cookie recipes
- Love lots of chocolate? Try my Double Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies.
- Craving a pretty and delicious cookie? Try my Almond Sugar Cookies.
- Want a little mint in your cookie? Try my Peppermint Kiss Cookies.
- Need an easy recipe? Try my Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies.
Chewy Caramel Oatmeal Bars
These chewy caramel oatmeal bars are super easy to make and make the perfect dessert treat for any holiday party. They are a delicious combination of oatmeal cookie, chewy caramel, and chocolate.
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (11 ounce) bag of caramels, unwrapped
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- Melt 10 tablespoons (3/4 cup) butter and add to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add in flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and baking soda. Mix until combined and crumbly.
- Add 3/4 of the oatmeal mixture to the prepared pan and press into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes and once baked set aside.
- In a saucepan combine the caramels, remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and milk. Set over medium heat and heat until the caramel is melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted caramel mixture over the baked crust, top with chocolate chips, and sprinkle the leftover oatmeal mixture over top the chocolate chips.
- Add back to the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Let the bars cool completely and then cut into squares.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 87mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Salted Peanut Clusters - an easy to make holiday sweet treat!
Tuesday 30th of November 2021
[…] while I always include my staple classics like my chewy caramel oatmeal bars (made with Ghirardelli bittersweet 60% cacao baking chips!), buckeyes, and my brown […]
Nancy | The Bitter Side of Sweet
Tuesday 12th of December 2017
I LOVE doing puzzles! One summer the kids and I did a 1000 piece puzzle! It was so fun! These look amazing!
Wednesday 6th of December 2017
Love good oatmeal bars. I like to have them for breakfast!
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet
Tuesday 5th of December 2017
Oh my goodness, those look sooo good!
Tuesday 5th of December 2017
Those look delicious, and I know they would go fast here!