Apple and Nut Stuffed Acorn Squash

Delicious apple and nut stuffed acorn squash filled with sweet honey crisp apples, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, dried cherries and a touch of maple syrup.

I love pretty much anything made with squash. I’m not sure how I got on the squash love train especially since we rarely (as in never) ate it in my house growing up. To this day my dad just about gags when you mention winter squash. Apparently when he was growing up his mom used to make rice and ground beef stuffed squash all the time. To me this sounds delicious. To him it apparently sounds like hell.

Oh well. More for me I guess…right dad?

Now want to know what I stuffed these guys with? Well it’s not ground beef and rice if you guess that. Also if you guessed that you I guess I should probably invest in a better camera because I hope it doesn’t look like that in the picture. So these little yellow acorn squashes are stuffed full of apples, pumpkin seeds, chopped dried cherries and touch of maple syrup. I enjoyed eating them as a nice option for a meatless meal but I think the addition of chicken {or maybe some leftover turkey?} would be delicious as well.

David Bowie Halloween via Nutmeg Nanny

I feel like I should write more but I cannot think straight tonight. So, instead of rambling on more about this dish {which is really amazing and I hope you try it} I’m going to share a picture of my niece on Halloween. Seriously…is she not the cutest David Bowie you have ever seen? I know thats a totally biased opinion but seriously. So cute.

Apple and Nut Stuffed Acorn Squash

Yield: 2 servings

1 acorn squash, cut in half and seeds scooped out
1/2 cup finely diced apples
1/3 cup shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (pecans would work well too)
1/4 cup finely diced sour cherries
2 tablespoons finely diced crystallized ginger
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 - 3 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons apple pie spice
Salt, to taste

Maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium-size bowl add apples, pumpkin seeds, sour cherries, brown sugar, melted butter, apple pie spice and salt. Add more melted butter if the mixture looks too dry.

Fill the squash cavity with equal amount of the apple mixture.

Add squash to a baking sheet and lightly cover with foil.

Bake for 40 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes.

Pierce the squash to make sure it's fully cooked, remove from the oven, drizzle with a little maple syrup and enjoy.

27 Responses to “Apple and Nut Stuffed Acorn Squash”

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — November 4, 2013 at 8:52 am

Not even biased–she totally is the cutest! I’m a squash nut, so the idea of a squash stuffed (literally) with nuts and all this apple-maple-cider goodness has me craving it for dinner….or right now for breakfast!

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 4th, 2013 @ 7:59 pm

She really is the cutest…haha :) These little squashes are perfect for fall. So full of flavor.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 4, 2013 at 9:05 am

Oh my goodness… LOVE that picture of your niece on Halloween. Perfect!

And, this recipe couldn’t come at a better time. I have been staring at an acorn squash from our CSA for 2 weeks and I have had zero inspiration for it. I think we will be enjoying this with dinner tonight! :)

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 4th, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

Hope you enjoyed the squash :)

Tina Muir — November 4, 2013 at 9:39 am

Mmmm, that looks delicious. I love sweet fillings in my squash….could even have it for breakfast! Your acorn squash is yellow! I have never seen that before! Will have to try this with my next acorn squash. I usually have them with brown sugar, but this will be much more filling (and tasty I am sure) to fuel my training. Thanks for sharing.

Tina

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — November 4, 2013 at 9:53 am

Definitely trying this soon. Love it!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — November 4, 2013 at 10:43 am

So cute! And the plate is beautiful!!
    I love how you stuffed this squash, so much great flavor and texture!!

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 4th, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

Thank you Alaina! I got the plate on clearance at Anthropologie
      !

JulieD — November 4, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Your niece is so cute!! And this squash looks fantastic!!

Ruthy @ Omeletta — November 4, 2013 at 4:50 pm

David Bowie!! That just made my whole day. So cute.
    Love this acorn squash! The cranberries and apples are my favorite part- how perfect for this time of year. Pinning to my Thanksgiving board!

Joanne — November 4, 2013 at 7:08 pm

The only time I ever made my dad roasted squash, he said that he kind of liked it but kind of hated it. Who knows what that meant. I am definitely securely on the LOVE side…and this filling sounds awesome!

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 4th, 2013 @ 8:46 pm

Yeah, my dad seriously gets the chills just thinking about eating squash. I saw you are gearing up for a big squash event on your blog. Obviously you are a huge squash lover :) Also CONGRATULATIONS! I’m so excited for you :)

Reeni — November 4, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I love squash just as much as you! This look ridiculously good – I love the sound of that stuffing! It’s all the things I love about fall.

Linda — November 4, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I may be missing something but the recipe is called apple and nut squash but I see no nuts in the recipes, just pumpkin seeds.

Jamie@Milk 'n' Cookies — November 5, 2013 at 5:55 am

This acorn squash looks so perfectly delicious and full of fall flavors. We get acorn squash often from our CSA, but i’m often at a loss when it comes to cooking or eating it. thanks for the inspiration!

Winnie — November 5, 2013 at 10:53 am

This is gorgeous and your niece is awesomesauce.

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — November 5, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Your niece is definitely the cutest Bowie! My dad sin’ big on squash either, but I adore it. This is my kind of dinner!

grace — November 6, 2013 at 4:36 am

your niece is a doll and your dish is delightful. excellent way to take advantage of that boat shape!

Hill Country Princess — November 6, 2013 at 7:25 am

Hey, it’s Miranda, the Blond Duck! I had to move to a new home!

Now, about this acorn squash- it looks so good. I’ll have to make it for my sister since she’s obsessed with them right now!

Shanna@ pineapple and coconut — November 6, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I just literally laughed out loud at the picture of your niece. So so funny and adorable! I love stuffed squash and these flavors sound so good. I am definitely making this recipe this winter!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — November 7, 2013 at 3:21 am

I’m on the squash love train lately as well and this sounds like a fantastic way to prepare it!

Sommer@ASP — November 7, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Such a treat! This is a gorgeous recipe and I cannot wait to make it.

Julie @ Table for Two — November 8, 2013 at 9:59 pm

This stuffed squash looks absolutely perfect for a festive meal! It’s so pretty and the yellow of the squash gives the dish such a vibrant feel!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 9, 2013 at 2:23 am

How adorable is she?! And this stuffed squash – yes! I’ve actually never had acorn squash before! Can’t wait to try it for the very first time!

Tracey — November 10, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I’m obsessed with winter squash too, but I tend to eat more butternut than anything else. I need to branch out and buy acorn squash more. Love this stuffed version!

Kate | Food Babbles — November 17, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I used to loathe squash and only recently I’ve come to love it so I’m on the lookout for ways to prepare it. I absolutely LOVE the idea of filling it with so many good things. Yum! Gotta try this.

1. Pingback: 53 Best Thanksgiving Recipes (All the Side Dish Recipes You'll Ever Need!) | Two Healthy Kitchens