This Instant Pot mashed butternut squash uses the power of the Instant Pot to perfectly cook butternut squash, easily mashed with delicious butter, sour cream, and toppings.
Are you looking for a super simple way to add more veggies to your meals?
This Instant Pot mashed butternut squash comes together easily and fast, with the Instant Pot perfectly cooking the butternut squash in less than 20 minutes! Then mash them up and mix them with butter sour cream, and any topping of your choice.
Butternut squash is so versatile and creamy, not to mention it’s packed with health benefits like vitamins, potassium, and fiber!
It’s the ultimate hassle-free side dish that’s creamy and velvety with all of the flavors of a comforting cozy meal.
You’re going to love sharing these Instant Pot mashed butternut squash with family and friends!
Ingredients for Instant Pot mashed butternut squash
- 1 large butternut squash – This big guy will be enough to feed 4 people.
- Water – We’ll need a little water to make our Instant Pot mashed butternut squash cooked perfectly.
- Butter – Butter will make these creamy and delicious.
- Kosher salt and black pepper – Salt and pepper are necessary seasonings to make sure our instant pot mashed butternut squash tastes perfect.
- Sour cream – Sour cream will add a luscious texture and flavor.
How to make Instant Pot mashed butternut squash
Cooking up this butternut squash to perfection is simple!
First, we need to prepare the butternut squash by removing the seeds and cutting it into 8 pieces.
Then, we’ll use our trivet in our Instant Pot add our water to the bottom, and place the butternut squash pieces on top.
After they’re done in the pressure cooker, the skins will slide right off so you can mash them up with butter and sour cream add toppings and serve!
Instant Pot FAQ
What toppings can I put on my Instant Pot mashed butternut squash?
Toppings are my favorite part because everyone can add exactly what they like!
Here are a few of my favorite toppings:
- Crumbled bacon
- Green onions
- Italian parsley
- Toasted nuts (like walnuts or pecans)
- Toasted pepitas
- A drizzle of maple syrup
What to serve with instant pot mashed butternut squash?
Storage and leftovers
Any leftover Instant Pot mashed butternut squash can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply place in a microwave-safe bowl, covered loosely with a damp paper towel, and heat for 1-2 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
More vegetable sides
- Want to go back to basics? Try my Best Baked Sweet Potato
- Looking to try something new? Try my Roasted Koginut Squash
- Love brussels sprouts? Try my Kung Pao Brussels Sprouts
- Need something quick and easy? Try my Simple Roasted Cabbage
Instant Pot Mashed Butternut Squash
- Sliced the ends off of the squash, cut it in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Cut each half of the squash into 4 pieces.
- Place the trivet inside your Instant Pot and add 2 cups of water.
- Add in the butternut squash on the trivet and attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the "sealing" position.
- Set the Instant Pot to "pressure cook – manual high" for 15 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking, release the pressure manually by switching the valve to the "venting" position – be careful it might splatter and hot steam will come out of the top!
- Remove the squash from the IP and gently remove the flesh off the squash,
- With a fork or a potato masher, mash the squash until the lumps are gone and you get the texture you would like. If you want it smoother you can also use an electric mixer.
- Continue by placing the squash into a large bowl. Add in the butter, so it melts into the mixture.
- Continue by adding the salt, pepper, sour cream, mix until combined and serve.
- Optional: garnish with fresh rosemary, chives, or basil.