On The Stalk Roasted Brussels Sprouts

These on the stalk roasted Brussels sprouts are the perfect addition to your holiday spread. They roast up beautifully and easily come right off the stalk. Serve them plain or with a side of garlic mayo.

10 years ago you could not have gotten me near Brussels sprouts. I was sure I hated them and no amount of pressure would get me to change my mind. It made it even worse when people would tell me to put cheese sauce on them.

I’m sorry, what? Cheese sauce? What is the point of eating a vegetable to only drown them in some weird glowing cheese sauce?

So a few years ago I got over my irrational self and decided to give those tiny cabbages a try. I roasted them up and hoped for the best.

I fell in love. Really, really in love. I went from hating to psycho loving this vegetable in 5 seconds flat. In movie terms I would describe my intense love as a bunny boiling type of love. Or maybe a Single White Female-eque love. Except I’m not about to kill anybody’s boyfriend with a high heel over a vegetable.

I’m not that crazy.

This version of roasted Brussels sprouts is a little different that normal. I bought them still on the stalk and just roasted it up all at once in the oven. You can easily cut them off once roasted or leave them out as an appetizer and guests can just pull them right off the stalk.

I like them plain with dinner but if I’m using them for an appetizer I like to give them a little dip in garlic mayo. Mostly because mayo is the best.

Mayo love for life!

{On The Stalk} Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Yield: 4-6 servings

For Brussels sprouts:

• 1 large stalk Brussels sprouts
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt and pepper, to taste

For garlic mayonnaise:

• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice

For Brussels sprouts:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place Brussels sprouts onto a large rimmed baking sheet and drizzle evenly with olive oil. Sprinkle all sides of the stalk with desired amount of kosher salt and pepper.

Add to the oven and bake for 45 minutes until slightly soft and browned on the outside. Make sure to rotate the stalk a third of the way every 15 minutes to insure equal cooking.

Once cooked let the Brussels sprouts rest for 5 minutes and cut off the stalk. Serve as is or serve with garlic mayonnaise for dipping.

For garlic mayonnaise:
Add all ingredients and stir to combine. Keep cold until ready to use.

46 Responses to “On The Stalk Roasted Brussels Sprouts”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — October 29, 2014 at 7:37 am

How cool is this?!? Gah! So in love with this recipe.

Amy @ A Healthy Life For Me — October 29, 2014 at 7:54 am

I was the same as you, couldn’t get me to eat brussels, but my husband loved the things. After making so many different variations I started trying to eat some of my recipes and shocking… I like them. I am not saying I love them, but I like them. Gorgeous pictures as always!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — October 29, 2014 at 7:58 am

Intense love as a “bunny boiling” type of love. . . oh my gawd, I love you, Brandy. I don’t usually buy my brussels sprouts still on the stalk but you’d better believe I’m going to do that now! love this!! and yes to the garlic mayo, yo.

Beth @ The First Year — October 29, 2014 at 8:14 am

After seeing these gorgeous pictures I might be convinced to like brussels sprouts!

Aggie — October 29, 2014 at 8:17 am

So cool to buy them on the stalk like that…and to cook them on the stalk too! I used to like my brussels boiled, roasted is the way to go! No one else in my fam likes them so when I make them it’s a treat for me 🙂 My husband might try them with that garlic mayo though!! Delish!

Christie Daruwalla — October 29, 2014 at 8:29 am

I just saw brussels sprouts still on the stalk at a grocery store recently. It is something I usually can’t find. That garlic aioli sounds amazing.

Meg @ The Housewife in Training Files — October 29, 2014 at 8:40 am

Oh my love story went something similar to yours! I hoard them, saving them for a special dinner but usually just end up roasting as I can’t deny those crispy leaves!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — October 29, 2014 at 8:42 am

You…. are a genius!

Claire Gallam — October 29, 2014 at 8:51 am

SUCH a smart idea to roast right on the stalk!! <3

Amina | PAPER/PLATES — October 29, 2014 at 8:58 am

Never seen Brussels sprouts served this way. Interesting!

amanda @ fake ginger — October 29, 2014 at 9:08 am

I’ve always wanted to roast brussels sprouts on the stalk. I psycho love them, too!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — October 29, 2014 at 9:20 am

Such a fun idea! I never would have thought to do that! 🙂

Bri | Bites of Bri — October 29, 2014 at 9:35 am

Love this idea! So pretty for presentation! I also posted a Brussels recipe today too. It’s so funny that people love or hate Brussels. They’re my favorite veggie by far!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — October 29, 2014 at 9:43 am

How pretty is this?! What a gorgeous meal centerpiece. LOVE.

Lana@NeverEnoughThyme — October 29, 2014 at 10:37 am

This is an absolutely gorgeous presentation for Brussels sprouts! I need to track down some on the stalk for my Thanksgiving dinner.

genevieve @ gratitude and greens — October 29, 2014 at 10:51 am

I love brussel sprouts! I’ve never had them on the stalk but they look amazing!

Colleen (Souffle Bombay) — October 29, 2014 at 10:56 am

I have only done this once and it was delicious and a fun addition to our Thanksgiving table (luckily I have these HUGE white fish plates I think they are for serving). You are SO smart to have created a sauce!! Love this one!!

heather @french press — October 29, 2014 at 10:59 am

I never had Brussels as a kid, so I was sure they would be gross – and last year I feel in love – now I eat them every chance I get | and roasted they are AMAZING

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — October 29, 2014 at 11:21 am

This is such a fun and festive way to serve Brussels sprouts!

The Food Hunter — October 29, 2014 at 11:42 am

beautiful!!

Melissa Falk — October 29, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I love brussel sprouts, especially stove top sauteed in red wine and bacon. But, oven roasted is the easiest. I have not tried roasted an entire stalk of them, but I will do so now. Thanks for the tip.

kim (Feed me, Seymour) — October 29, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Oh man, these look amazing!!!

Paula - bell'alimento — October 29, 2014 at 2:07 pm

This is my favorite way to eat sprouts!

Serene @ House of Yumm — October 29, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Wow, these look amazing! I love brussel sprouts, and can’t wait to try out that garlic mayonnaise next time I have them!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — October 29, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I don’t think brussels sprouts are supposed to be this pretty. I don’t know how you managed that! Just… wow. I’ve never seen them on the stalk before! Very interesting. 🙂

Julie — October 29, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Can I just dip everything in that garlic mayo?

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — October 29, 2014 at 3:03 pm

These sprouts look gorgeous and I think you could make any hater at least want to give them another shot.

Brenda@Sugar-Free Mom — October 29, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I love that you roasted them up on the stalk!! It reminded me of our appetizer from The Big Potluck in PA!! Very cool!

Lauren @ Healthy Delicious — October 29, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I’m not a mayo lover at all (it makes me gag) but I can totally see how that garlic mayo goes perfectly with these. Roasting on the stalk is a great idea, too. It looks so much cooler than the normal way!

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — October 29, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Fantastic idea. It just confirms my new love for brussels sprouts.

Jess @ What Jessica Baked Next — October 29, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I love roasted Brussels sprouts so much! These look absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Sylvie Shirazi — October 29, 2014 at 5:19 pm

What a great presentation, perfect for a holiday meal!

Kristen — October 29, 2014 at 5:27 pm

I learned something new today… had no idea Brussels Sprouts came on a stalk like this! So cool, Brandy!

Rose | The Clean Dish — October 30, 2014 at 6:42 am

Roasted Brussels sprouts are my favorite roasted vegetable! I would love to try an roast them on the stalk but I have never seen them in the shops or market!! Too bad but I am bookmarking this – love it!!

kellie @ The Suburban Soapbox — October 30, 2014 at 8:26 am

I always had a love affair with brussels sprouts. I just swoon when I find them on the stalk like this, such a treat and great presentation. But I wouldn’t boil a bunny over them. I just love animals way too much. 🙂 I never thought to serve them on the stalk though, fantastic idea!

Joanne — October 30, 2014 at 10:58 am

You’ve got me drooling over brussels sprouts. Generally speaking, this is probably not such an easy feat, but I love them. And this on the stalk roastedness sounds awesome.

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — October 30, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Roasted is the ONLY way I will eat Brussels Sprouts. I love that you kept them on the stalk for something different!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — October 30, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I just started eating brussels sprouts too. I had them sautéed in butter and garlic. Butter makes everything better. Plus my taste buds are changing.
    This is a unique way to have them. It looks holiday like—totally!

Melanie — October 30, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Love this idea of roasting them on the stalk. Looks so elegant that way. I’m a sprouts fan. Now if I could just get my family onboard.

Marjory @ Dinner-Mom — October 30, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Such an amazing presentation…I’m wondering if I can find a stalk of brussels sprouts around here?!

Kim Beaulieu — October 30, 2014 at 11:06 pm

These look so freaking good I can barely stand it. I want to dive right in there.

Frances — November 17, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I am assuming you must wash these before cooking? When I prepare Brussels Sprouts, I take off the outer dirty leaves. Is that what you do when you prepare them this way?

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 17th, 2014 @ 8:56 pm

I rinse the stalk with water and remove any leaves if they look brown or dried out. Hope this helps! 🙂

Nancy — March 29, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Trader Joe’s sells the Brussels sprouts on the stalk at the holidays

1. Pingback: Weekly Love Letter for Friday, November 21st - Alyssa and Carla