This Cajun shrimp fettuccine alfredo is packed full of flavor with a little Cajun twist. It’s perfect for busy weeknights and you’ll say goodbye to jarred sauces when you see how easy it is to make your own! Plus the little punch of andouille sausage really brings that Cajun flavor.
Are you craving the PERFECT pasta recipe?
Well, you’re going to love this Cajun shrimp fettuccine alfredo recipe!
This pasta is creamy, smoky, spicy, and jam-packed full of flavor!
It’s made with both andouille sausage and shrimp with the addition of Cajun seasoning, garlic, onions, and of course Parmesan cheese.
Plus this dish is made in JUST 30 minutes.
You absolutely cannot ask for more flavor in such a short amount of time.
Trust me, your whole family will love this creamy Cajun shrimp pasta dish!
Ingredients for Cajun shrimp fettuccine alfredo:
- Pasta – I used fettuccine pasta for this dish but honestly any pasta you want to use for this dish will work well. Spaghetti, penne, rotini, etc. all will work well.
- Shrimp – I used large frozen shrimp that I defrosted. Fresh shrimp will work well here too.
- Andoullie sausage – You can find smoky andoullie sausage in most grocery stores near where you find Italian sausage or precooked chicken sausage.
- Cajun seasoning – I really like to use a no-salt added Cajun seasoning for this dish so I get all the Cajun spicy flavor without all the salt.
- Onion and garlic – A classic ingredient for both Cajun and Italian cuisiens.
- Chicken stock – This adds flavor and helps deglaze the pan after you cook your shrimp and vegetables.
- Heavy cream – Heavy cream helps gives this pasta an extra creamy sauce.
- Parmesan cheese – What alfredo sauce is complete without adding in some Parmesan cheese?
- Cayenne pepper – Add more or less depending on your love of spice!
Substitutions and additions
If you’re looking to switch some things up here are a few tips:
- More vegetables – Want to bulk up the pasta even more? Try adding in sliced bell peppers or even chopped cherry tomatoes. Both will add complimentary flavors that will work well with the creamy Cajun fettuccine sauce.
- Swap out the protein – Can’t find andouille sausauge? Try using a smoked Polish sausaget in it’s place. Not a fan of shrimp? Use chicken. Or try my Instant Pot Cajun Chicken Alfredo for something similar but different.
- Change the pasta – Don’t have fettuccine on hand? You can use any long pasta in it’s place. Not a fan of twirling your pasta? How about trying cavatappi, penne, or ziti in its place.
- Go heavy on the spice – Craving a super spicy pasta? Increase the cayenne pepper!
What shrimp is best for pasta?
For this recipe, I used frozen shrimp that I defrosted overnight in the refrigerator.
When shrimp goes on sale I often buy a few bags to have on hand for fast and easy dinner recipes. It defrosts fairly quickly and is a great source of B12, they’re high in protein, low in mercury, and cook up quickly.
If you’re lucky to live near the coast fresh shrimp will work just as well in this recipe.
More flavorful pasta recipes
- Love all things Cajun? Try my One Pot Cajun Pastalaya.
- Need a perfect summer pasta? Try my Pesto Chicken Caprese Pasta.
- One of my most popular recipes! Try my One Pot Ground Chicken Fajita Pasta.
- Want a fast and easy pasta recipe? Try my Chicken Broccoli Ziti.
Cajun Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
This Cajun shrimp fettuccine alfredo is packed full of flavor with a little Cajun twist. It's perfect for busy weeknights and you'll say goodbye to jarred sauces when you see how easy it is to make your own! Plus the little punch of andouille sausage really brings that Cajun flavor.
- 8 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound medium-sized shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 pound Andouille sausage, sliced into 1/4 inch circles
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Minced parsley
- Set a large pot of salted water over high heat.
- Once the water is boiling add in the pasta and cook according to box directions. Drain and set aside until ready to use.
- Set a large high sided skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- Season the shrimp with Cajun seasoning and add to the skillet when the oil is hot.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or just until the shrimp turns pink and is cooked. Remove shrimp from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet add sausage and onion.
- Sauté until the onion is translucent and the sausage is starting to brown.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour chicken stock into the skillet and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, black pepper and cayenne pepper to the skillet, stir to combine.
- Simmer on medium heat until the sauce starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on the mixture because dairy can scorch easily.
- Add in the cooked pasta and shrimp and toss to combine.
- If the sauce is too thick you can thin it out with a little milk. If it's too thin let it cook down a bit more until you reach your desired texture.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parsley if desired.
Use a lower sodium Cajun seasoning so the shrimp does not come out too salty.
If you can't find a lower sodium Cajun seasoning use less seasoning and add cayenne pepper for additional heat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 804Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 363mgSodium: 3661mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 47g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Pumpkin Cauliflower Alfredo Meatball Pasta Bake - Nutmeg Nanny
Tuesday 12th of July 2022
[…] (In the mood to indulge? Try my Cajun Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo!) […]
Herbed Shrimp Orzo Salad - Nutmeg Nanny
Friday 6th of May 2022
[…] Craving creamy pasta? Try my Cajun Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo. […]
Wednesday 30th of March 2022
This recipe is absolutely delicious, my family and I enjoyed it. Loved that spice from the sausage. Thinking of trying it with chicken next time. My little ones couldn’t eat it but that’s fine.
Instant Pot Chicken Cajun Alfredo - a simple Instant Pot weeknight dinner!
Friday 27th of August 2021
[…] you have been following my blog for awhile you might know one of my most popular recipes Cajun Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo. Every year it comes in the top 5 of most popular recipes so I knew that meant my readers love […]
Trader Joe's Cajun Style Alfredo Sauce (NEW ITEM!!) – Two Cousins Haul It All
Friday 21st of May 2021
[…] Cajun shrimp fettuccini alfredo […]