This cast iron chicken is full of fresh rosemary and bright lemon flavors. Made with potatoes and mushrooms, it’s perfect for dinner.
This cast iron chicken comes together easily in a cast iron skillet.
Cast iron pans are so durable, versatile, and affordable, that every kitchen should have at least one!
Juicy chicken thighs with crispy crackling skin, citrusy lemon, and herbaceous rosemary, with potatoes and meaty mushrooms, this cast iron chicken hits all the right spots.
Whether it’s the middle of the week or a weekend date night, you’re going to love serving this cast iron chicken to friends and family.
Ingredients for cast iron chicken
- Bone-in skin-on chicken thighs – The bone and the skin both help the chicken thighs to stay juicy.
- Rosemary – Rosemary is herbaceous and piney, and is a perfect pairing with chicken.
- Garlic – A classic ingredient that brings an earthiness to the dish.
- Red pepper flake – The small amount of red pepper flake will add a slight warmth to the dish. Feel free to omit if you dislike any spiciness.
- Lemons – Bright and fresh, lemons elevate the flavors of the cast iron chicken.
- Baby bella mushrooms – These little mushrooms pack a big meaty flavor, and soak up all of the garlic and lemon.
- Yellow potatoes – Yellow potatoes are creamy and soft.
Make it your way
Not a fan of rosemary? No worries!
Feel free to use other herbs, like thyme, or sage.
If you don’t have any lemons on hand, not a problem!
You could easily substitute limes for lemons.
Out of yellow potatoes? That’s easy.
You can use red potatoes instead!
Adjust the heat
I’ve used only 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flake here, but if you prefer things spicier, you could easily increase the amount to 1/2 teaspoon.
Alternatively, if you’re not a fan of anything spicy, you can omit the red pepper flakes altogether.
Storage and leftovers
This cast iron chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating is as simple as putting it on a microwave-safe dish, covered loosely with a wet paper towel, and heating for 3-4 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
Keep in mind though, that the skin will no longer be crispy after it has been in the refrigerator and heated in the microwave.
More chicken thigh recipes
- Want to go back to basics? Try my Crispy Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs
- Love using your air fryer? Try my Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Craving something sweet and savory? Try my Maple Ginger Chicken Thighs
- Need something spicy? Try my Chili Mango Lime Grilled Chicken Thighs
- 2 cups cubed yellow potatoes
- 2 tablespoons rosemary leaves (plus 2 whole rosemary sprigs)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Juice of 2 lemons (save those squeezed halves!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Fill a large pot with cold water and cut potatoes.
- Cook on high until potatoes are fork-tender but not falling apart.
- When ready drain the potatoes and set them aside.
- On a cutting board finely mince rosemary leaves, garlic cloves, kosher salt, and red pepper flakes. Mince together until paste forms.
- Add herb paste to a medium-sized bowl and mix with the juice of 1 lemon and olive oil.
- Add chicken and coat thoroughly.
- Heat a large 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken thighs, skin-side down, and cook until the skin is brown and crispy.
- Remove from the pan, add the mushrooms and potatoes, and drizzle with any remaining chicken marinade and juice from the remaining lemon.
- Top with chicken, skin side up.
- Add rosemary sprigs and squeezed lemon halves to skillet and roast, uncovered, until skin is crisp and chicken is cooked all the way through, about 25 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 734mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 12g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.