This crispy chicken apple cabbage salad is guaranteed to be your new favorite salad. It’s made super easy by using rotisserie chicken and crisping it up in olive oil with lemongrass, ginger, and garlic. That’s combined with lots of fresh chopped cabbage, minced herbs, apples, and a light squeeze of lime.
The second the weather starts to warm I crave salads, grilled foods, and cocktails.
Basically, I’m ready to eat healthily, ruin it by eating a big ass steak, and get tipsy.
Now, this crispy chicken apple cabbage salad is a new household favorite and I have made it 2 times since I made it for the blog.
The last time I made it I threw in some dried cranberries which I think 100% work.
For this photographed recipe they weren’t included but I wasn’t about to waste these gorgeous photos!
Just throw in some dried cranberries if you’re a fan. You won’t be disappointed!
Also, this is 100% off topic but I met Steven Tyler at the airport on Friday.
Here is the whole story. I sometimes travel with my old boss (the totally fabulous Audra McDonald) and we were on the plane heading back to NYC from a short 2-night stay in Los Angeles.
So we are getting comfortable in our seats and out of nowhere Steven Tyler gets on the plane and she and I look at each other like “whoa!” Then I silently squealed like a little girl.
I quickly met him on the plane and shook his hand. He asked me my name and I panicked and replied “Nutmeg Nanny.”
Yes. I introduced myself as my blog.
After the flight was over we were walking off the plane and Steven (we are now on a first-name basis, obvi) approached Audra to say hello.
So we walked through the airport chatting until we had to part ways (he went into the flight club, we went to baggage) but before we left we made sure to take a few pictures together.
I almost never ask celebrities for photos because I hate annoying people but there was just about no way I was missing this opportunity.
It’s days later and I’m still weirdly giddy.
Ok, so let us get back to this salad.
I mean, I can’t just talk about Steven the whole time.
The secret to this crispy chicken apple cabbage salad is the crispy chicken.
Listen, follow the directions.
It’s not too much oil. It won’t smell fried or weird.
Yes, get that oil super hot and when you put the chicken in the skillet DO NOT TOUCH IT! Give it a few minutes to really crisp up before you start tossing it about.
After it has reached optimal crispy to moist chicken ratio remove it from the heat, throw in your garlic/lemongrass/ginger mixture, and let it cool.
Then toss it all together with your veggies and herbs and DEVOUR!
Love this crispy chicken apple cabbage salad?
Why not try a few of my other delicious salad recipes!
- Cantaloupe Prosciutto Caprese Salad
- Fall Panzanella Salad
- Grilled Nectarine Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Apple Bacon Salad
- Fig Goat Cheese Salad with Fig Vinaigrette
- Peach Feta Salad with Peach Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed meat picked off
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 green apple, cut into matchsticks
- Kosher salt, to taste
- In a 12-inch skillet add your olive oil and set over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot and shimmery add your chicken and let it sit for about 5 minutes to create little crispy bits on your chicken.
- Give it a gentle toss to crisp up the other sides of the shredded chicken.
- Remove from the heat and stir in grated ginger, lemongrass, and garlic.
- Toss to evenly distribute the flavors throughout the chicken.
- Let it cool slightly while you prepare the salad.
- In a large bowl add shredded red cabbage, shredded napa cabbage, minced parsley, cilantro mint, red onion, lime juice, lime zest, and matchstick apples.
- Add in the slightly cooled chicken and toss to combine.
- If the salad is too dry drizzle in just a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Taste and season with the desired amount of kosher salt.
Adapted from Bon Appetit
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 518Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 460mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 31g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.