These Greek chicken meatball gyros are packed full of fresh herbs and feta cheese and topped with creamy tzatziki sauce and crunchy vegetables. They are a fun twist to traditional gyros and chicken souvlaki.
Greek cuisine is one of my favorite types of food because it’s so versatile and flavorful in any recipe!
These Greek chicken meatball gyros are protein-packed and bursting with flavors like fresh dill, mint, and salty feta.
And because we’re using ground chicken, these will fill you up without weighing you down!
Trust me, these Greek chicken meatball gyros will become yet another delicious Greek meal your whole family will love.
Ingredients for Greek chicken meatball gyros
- Ground chicken – Ground chicken is great because it is lean and full of protein, and will easily absorb all of the flavors from our herbs and spices.
- Garlic – A classic addition that will add earthiness to the dish.
- Feta – Feta cheese is a Greek brined white cheese made from sheep’s milk. It is crumbly and salty.
- Panko breadcrumbs – Panko breadcrumbs are dryer and crunchier than normal breadcrumbs.
- Herbs – Fresh dill, mint, and parsley are traditionally bright and fresh flavors for our gyros.
- Dried oregano – I do not suggest using fresh oregano here, dried works best.
- Lemon zest – Lemon zest will give our gyros a burst of fresh citrus flavors.
- Pita bread – Pita bread can be found easily in most major grocery stores either in the deli section or the bread aisle.
- Vegetables – Red onion, mixed greens, and cucumber provide a crunchy texture and fresh flavor.
- Tzatziki sauce – This cool and creamy condiment is the perfect sauce for our Greek chicken meatball gyros.
The most traditional protein used in a meatball gyro is lamb, so feel free to use that if you’d like.
These Greek chicken meatball gyros are a lighter version of their traditional counterpart.
Other ground meats like turkey and pork would also work well here in keeping the meatballs lighter.
You can make these meatballs in advance and freeze them!
After baking, cool the meatballs to room temperature and pop them in the freezer while still on the baking sheet. This way, they will freeze individually and not stick together.
Once frozen, pop the frozen meatballs into a freezer-safe storage zip-top bag, and they will stay in the freezer for up to 3 months!
To heat them up, thaw them out in your refrigerator a day before needing them, and then reheat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until heated thoroughly.
More ground chicken recipes
- Love all things mini? Try my Mini Chicken Parmesan Meatball Subs.
- Looking for low carb? Try my Thai Ground Chicken Lettuce Cups.
- Craving a burger? Try my Apple Butter Onion Chicken Burgers.
- Need something with southwestern flavor? Try my One Pot Ground Chicken Fajita Pasta.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 pieces pita bread, lightly warmed
- Thinly sliced red onion, for topping
- Thinly sliced cucumber, for topping
- Mixed greens, for topping
- Tzatziki sauce, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl add ground chicken, garlic, feta cheese, panko, parsley, dill, mint, lemon zest, oregano, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Use your hands and mix together until fully combined.
- Shape the ground chicken into 16 same-sized meatballs and place onto the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked. They will feel firm to the touch and slightly browned when ready.
- Add 4 meatballs per pita and top with red onion, cucumber, mixed greens, and tzatziki sauce. You can also top with more feta if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 473Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 856mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 36g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.