This grilled zucchini is grilled to perfection with olive oil, Italian seasoning, and spices, and topped with freshly grated parmesan and a squeeze of lemon!
Does anyone else have an abundance of zucchini during the summertime?
Whether you have some in your own garden or are generously gifted a basket by neighbors, family, or friends, it’s always good to have some zucchini recipes ready to go!
This grilled zucchini is the perfect side dish for summer meals. Long slices of zucchini are grilled with olive oil, Italian seasoning, onion, and garlic powders, and finished with salty and savory grated parmesan and fresh lemon juice.
They cook up quickly, they’re healthy, and they taste good; that sounds like a recipe for success to me!
So the next time someone gives you even more zucchini from their garden, try this grilled zucchini!
Ingredients for grilled zucchini
- Zucchini – Zucchini is sweet and clean tasting and a perfect canvas for adding flavors.
- Olive oil – Our fat of choice to help the seasonings stick to the zucchini.
- Italian seasoning – Feel free to use homemade or your favorite store-bought variety.
- Garlic and onion powder – These spices will add earthiness to the grilled zucchini.
- Kosher salt – Kosher salt is super important to help enhance all of the flavors.
- Lemon juice – Right before serving, the brightness of lemon juice adds the perfect citrusy flavor.
- Parmesan cheese – Parmesan cheese will add some savory and salty flavors to the grilled zucchini.
Why does zucchini taste bitter sometimes?
A good rule of thumb is to use small, fresh zucchini, with smooth skin and no blemishes for the cleanest and sweetest taste.
The older and larger a zucchini is, the more likely it is to have bitter skin.
Tips for getting perfectly grilled zucchini every time
Do your veggies stick to your grill?
Here are some helpful tips to make sure your grilled zucchini comes out perfect every time:
- Make sure your grill is clean: Take care in removing old debris that can cause your veggies to stick.
- Oil up your grill: Using oil to lubricate the grill will make it easy for the zucchini to release.
- Get your grill super hot: Not having a hot enough grill will cause your zucchini to cling to the grates and break apart when you try to flip it.
- Let your zucchini cook: Don’t try to flip or move your zucchini too early. Once you place it on your hot grill, please resist the urge to poke at it for at least 3 minutes! Both letting the classic grill marks form, and the zucchini cook will help it release from the grates.
Make your own Italian seasoning
If you don’t have any pre-made Italian seasoning on hand, no worries!
Italian seasoning is often a blend of dried basil, rosemary, oregano, parsley, and thyme.
Storage and leftovers
Any leftover grilled zucchini can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply place in a microwave-safe dish covered loosely with a damp paper towel and heat 2-3 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
More grilled recipes
- Craving a hearty meal? Try my Chimichurri Flank Steak
- Want to try a grilled salad? Try my Grilled Peach Burrata Salad
- Love Asian-inspired flavors? Try my Sweet Soy Marinated Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Need something for the seafood lovers in your life? Try my Chimichurri Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- 2 small zucchini, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 fresh lemon, halved, grilled or plain
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh sliced basil, for topping, optional
- Preheat the outdoor grill to medium-high heat or heat an indoor grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Add zucchini to a large mixing bowl or serving platter and toss with olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, kosher salt, and onion powder.
- Toss to combine and get each slice of zucchini evenly coated with oil and spices.
- Add the zucchini slices to the preheated outdoor or indoor grill. Grill on each side for 2-3 minutes depending on the thickness of your zucchini slices. You're looking for the zucchini to be fork-tender but not mushy.
- Remove from the grill, squeeze lemon juice over the zucchini, and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- If you have fresh basil on hand feel free to sprinkle some chopped basil overtop.
You can opt to grill your lemon slices for added flavor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 104Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 273mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.