This lightly smothered chicken is drizzled with homemade honey mustard and then covered in onions, peppers, mushrooms and just a little cheese. Perfect for your healthy diet but still packed with delicious flavor!
I originally made this post way back in 2011. It is still one of my most popular posts and decided a few months ago it was time to update the pictures.
So I quietly updated and left it at that. Well, now I’m short on content and I need a new post for tomorrow so now I’m resharing this beauty of a recipe!
It’s so hearty and delicious AND it’s actually good for you!
Don’t you hate when you “think” something is going to be good for you and then you look and it’s like 1 million calories and 300008495 grams of fat and carbs? Ugh. The worst.
The other day I was looking at the nutritional facts for a salad at a chain restaurant and this SALAD had over 100 grams of fat. I can’t.
If you’re not up on how many grams of fat you should eat a day just know 100 is gross.
Well, unless you’re a keto person and in that case, we’ll just disagree so let’s just leave it at that.
If you’re wondering why I’m short on content it’s because of two things:
- family emergency
I have a lot of great ideas coming up for the next few months and have been slowly working on coming up the recipes and trying to really create a great story with my photography.
Well, I’ve been slower than usual lately so assumed I had time to get some work done this week before Friday.
Unfortunately, my dad’s body had other plans. It decided to get a DVT and a pulmonary embolism in both lungs.
Note to self: when your parent is diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism don’t then google it and read stories about how horribly deadly they are. I’m starting to think Google should just block all my medical questions.
So anyway, after I found out about my dad I booked a flight back to Ohio and figured I would figure out work later. Well, part of my figuring out my work later was figuring out I could share this updated post and bring it some new love and light.
It actually used to be one of my most popular posts but has slowly started to fade.
I mean, I’m not sure why because this chicken is BALLER! It’s a perfect use for leftover grilled chicken and then you just slather it with homemade honey mustard, top with veggies and a little cheese and bake.
It’s hearty deliciousness all wrapped up into one little 8×8 pan.
Oh, and back to my dad real quick – he should be ok.
He has been on heparin for days now and we are hoping he’ll get to come home in a few days. The doctor mentioned they might have to do surgery but we’re hoping that doesn’t seem necessary.
Fingers crossed for us!
Love this Lightly Smothered Chicken?
Try a few of my other delicious chicken recipes!
- Sheet Pan Garlic Lemon Chicken and Mushrooms
- Sheet Pan Moroccan Chicken and Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Honey Soy Sriracha Pulled Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Potato Dinner
- Chicken Broccoli Ziti
- Healthier General Tso’s Chicken
- Crispy Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs
- 20 Minute Healthier Orange Chicken
- One Pot Ground Chicken Fajita Pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast tenders, grilled or pan sauteed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 green or red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- When the oil is hot add green peppers, mushrooms, and onions.
- Saute until soft and then add garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper. Stir together and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together Dijon mustard and honey.
- In an 8x8 pan add the prepared grilled chicken and slather chicken evenly with honey dijon mustard mixture.
- Cover the chicken with the prepared vegetables and sprinkle the top with cheese.
- Add the preheated oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
This recipe is great for using leftover grilled chicken or chicken you have grilled earlier in the day. If you don't want to grill your chicken simply season it with salt and pepper and cook in a pan before you cook the vegetables.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 424mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 42g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.