This lightly smothered chicken is drizzled with homemade honey mustard and then covered in onions, peppers, mushrooms, and just a little cheese. Perfect for your healthy diet but still packed with delicious flavor!
When trying to eat lighter and healthier, you definitely don’t have to sacrifice flavor!
This lightly smothered chicken dish is packed full of sweet and savory honey mustard, gooey mozzarella cheese, and delicious peppers and onions.
You’d never know it was secretly a healthy dish!
Full of protein and veggies, this dinner is a perfect meal for families on any night of the week.
You’re going to love how flavorful, and low-calorie, this lightly smothered chicken is!
Ingredients for lightly smothered chicken
- Boneless skinless chicken breast tenders – These are super lean and packed with protein for our dish.
- Veggies – Peppers, onions, and garlic are the perfect complement to our chicken and give us tons of vitamins!
- Oregano – Oregano gives us an earthy flavor to our dish.
- Dijon mustard – Dijon mustard has a more complex flavor than traditional yellow mustard.
- Honey – Our healthy sweetness is used in this recipe.
- Reduced-fat mozzarella cheese – You can have your cheese and eat it too, this reduced-fat version cuts calories but not flavor!
Using reduced-fat cheese
In the dairy/cheese section of your grocery store, you can easily find reduced-fat cheeses.
When you’re trying to cut back on calories, starting with reduced-fat cheeses is an easy way to do it!
There are lots of varieties, like reduced-fat mozzarella (used here,) cheddar, provolone, and Colby jack; the grocery store has tons of options.
Feel free to use your favorite reduced-fat cheese in this recipe.
How to pre-cook the chicken
There are 2 easy ways to pre-cook your boneless skinless chicken breast tenders: grill, or sauté.
To grill the boneless skinless chicken tenders, make sure your grill is hot and ready to go! This will ensure you get those great grill marks, and that the chicken won’t stick to the grill.
Lightly season your chicken breast tenders with salt and pepper, and cook for about 4-5 mins per side, or until the chicken is cooked through and has reached 165° degrees F.
To sauté the chicken in a pan, set a pan on the stove to medium heat, and add 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
Season your boneless skinless chicken tenders lightly with salt and pepper.
Wait for the olive oil to get hot in the pan (2-3 minutes,) and add your boneless skinless chicken tenders.
Cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly and has reached 165° degrees F.
Storage and leftovers
This meal is easily stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Heating up leftovers is as easy as putting the meal in a microwave-safe dish, and microwaving for 2-3 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
More chicken recipes
- Want another healthy dish? Try my Healthier General Tso’s Chicken
- Need something with easy cleanup? Try my Sheet Pan Garlic Lemon Chicken
- Love chicken thighs? Try my Crispy Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs
- Craving some pasta? Try my Chicken Broccoli Ziti
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast tenders, grilled or pan sauteed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 green or red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- When the oil is hot add green peppers, mushrooms, and onions.
- Saute until soft and then add garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper. Stir together and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together Dijon mustard and honey.
- In an 8x8 pan add the prepared grilled chicken and slather chicken evenly with honey dijon mustard mixture.
- Cover the chicken with the prepared vegetables and sprinkle the top with cheese.
- Add the preheated oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
This recipe is great for using leftover grilled chicken or chicken you have grilled earlier in the day. If you don't want to grill your chicken simply season it with salt and pepper and cook in a pan before you cook the vegetables.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 424mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 42g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.