These pumpkin pie cupcakes are tender and moist cakes with a sweet pumpkin pie filling and topped with a tangy cream cheese frosting!
Do you ever have a hard time deciding between cupcakes or pie? Well, stress no more!
These pumpkin pie cupcakes are the perfect combination of pumpkin pie and cupcake! They’re a tasty, moist, pumpkin cupcakes, with a sweet and smooth pumpkin pie filling, topped with a tangy cream cheese frosting.
They make the perfect dessert to end the night for any fall-themed dinner party, or a fun treat to share at a kid’s party too!
Trust me, you’ll love all the autumnal flavors in these delicious pumpkin pie cupcakes!
Ingredients for pumpkin pie cupcakes
- All-purpose flour – A simple baking ingredient that helps hold your cupcake batter together.
- Pumpkin pie spice – Feel free to use homemade or your favorite store-bought variety.
- Pumpkin puree – This will add pumpkin flavor and moisture to our cupcakes.
- Vegetable oil – Vegetable oil is the fat of choice that will keep our cupcakes moist.
- Baking powder – This helps to keep our cupcakes light and fluffy.
- Whole milk – Milk helps combine all of the ingredients together and keeps them moist.
- Eggs – The eggs help to emulsify and bring the batter together.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract helps bring all of the flavors together and adds sweetness.
- White sugar – To add sweetness to the cupcakes.
- Cream cheese – This will add a tangy flavor and smooth, creamy texture.
- Pumpkin puree – Pumpkin puree will give us a great pumpkin flavor.
- Pumpkin pie spice – This will add traditional pumpkin pie flavors to the filling.
- Powdered sugar – This sugar easily dissolves in the filling and adds sweetness.
- Unsalted butter – This is the base for our frosting.
- Cream cheese – Cream cheese gives us a tangy flavor and smooth, creamy texture to our frosting.
- Powdered sugar – A classic sugar ingredient used in frosting that easily dissolves.
Make your own pumpkin spice
Pumpkin pie spice can be found easily in the spice aisle of most major grocery stores.
But there’s nothing wrong with wanting to make your own at home!
My favorite blend is cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
Vegetable oil alternative
If you’re not a fan of vegetable oil, no worries!
You can use any other neutral flavored oil, like avocado, canola, or grapeseed oils.
Storage and leftovers
Lastly, any leftover cupcakes can be stored carefully in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
However, good luck having any leftovers of these cupcakes.
They are beyond delicious!
More sweet treat recipes
- Love all things pumpkin? Try my Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins.
- Need something fall inspired? Try my Caramel Apple Cupcakes.
- Want something a little more, adult? Try my Stout Cupcakes with Whiskey Buttercream.
- Craving something a little southern? Try my Sweet Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins.
For the Cupcakes
- ½ cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup canned pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For the Pumpkin Filling
- 4 ounces (½ brick) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 ounces (½ brick) cream cheese, softened
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon
- pure vanilla extract
For the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Once combined, whisk in the sugar.
- Next add the flour, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk to combine.
- Divide the batter between the muffin tins–filling each one ¾ of the way full.6.Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely before filling and frosting.
For the pumpkin filling
- Add the cream cheese, pumpkin puree, powdered sugar, and pumpkin pie spice to a medium bowl.
- Beat the mixture with a hand mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- To fill the cupcakes, cut a 1-inch circle out of the center of each cupcake.
- Fill the hole with the pumpkin mixture and place the piece of cake back into its spot, making sure to cover the filling completely.
For the frosting
- Add the softened butter and cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then turn the mixer to medium-high speed. Beat until the frosting becomes light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with your choice of tip and frost the cupcakes as desired.
- Store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 406Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 226mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 1gSugar: 41gProtein: 7g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.