These simple spinach Parmesan baked mashed potatoes are the perfect way to prep before Thanksgiving. Totally delicious and packed full of flavor.
I have always loved mashed potatoes.
In fact, if I make mashed potatoes now I have a hard time not filling up my plate with mostly potatoes and little to nothing else.
I’m such a potato girl.
This version is my new favorite because I get my potato fix but I also get the addition of spinach, Parmesan, and French fried onions.
Which are basically the most delicious things on planet earth.
Plus when you baked off this delicious dish you get crispy potato edges and a creamy mashed potato center.
I seriously cannot tell you how much I love this dish. So good.
Ingredients to make spinach Parmesan baked mashed poatoes:
- Potatoes – This is the base of the dish! Fresh hot made mashed potatoes. Of course you can use store bought potatoes too. It will reduce the amount of dishes you dirty.
- Spinach – You can sue frozen chopped or fresh. Both will work in this dish.
- Parmesan – I like to use good quality grated Parmesan cheese.
- Fried onions – This is the topper that really sets this dish apart from most mashed potatoe dishes! It adds textrue and a big burst of flavor.
How do you make baked mashed potatoes?
For this recipe, I kept it really simple and just put in easy mixins that I knew would bake up perfectly.
- Step 1 – make that mashed potatoes!
- I give the full directions on how to make the mashed potatoes but you can make them however you like your mashed poatoes. You can also use storebought or boxed mashed potatos.
- Step 2 – stir in the mixins!
- For this recipe we are obviously using spinach and Parmesan cheese. I think this is a match made in heaven but feel free to use chopped kale in place of spinach if you have it on hand.
- Step 3 – top it up!
- I love the use of french fried onions in this recipe. It adds such a good crunch and the flavor is perfect!
- Step 4 – bake!
- Pop it in the oven and give it a good bake! It will come out hot and ready to devour!
How do you store baked mashed potatoes?
If you happen to have any leftovers you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
To reheat you can pop them in the oven or simply heat them up in the microwave.
The topping will get a little soft if you do it in the microwave but it still adds good flavor.
Can I make changes to this recipe?
While I have already noted that you can use boxed or store-bought mashed potatoes the other simple change you can make is the ingredients you mix into the potatoes.
I love the idea of doing this recipe but instead of Parmesan and spinach, you could use bacon, cheese, and green onions to make a loaded baked potato baked mashed potatoes!
Love these spinach Parmesan baked mashed potatoes?
Why not try a few of my other delicious potato side dish recipes?!
- Need to free up stove space? Try my Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
- Love all things cheese and potato? Try my Cheesy Potatoes.
- Want a classic with a twist? Try my Roasted White Sweet Potatoes with Honey Cinnamon Glaze.
- Craving a showstopper of a potato dish? Try my Lemon Herb Hasselback Potatoes.
- 4 pounds red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach, or 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup crispy fried onions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Add potatoes to a large stockpot or saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring water to a boil and boil potatoes until they are fork-tender.
- Drain potatoes and add back to the pot.
- Pour in milk and butter.
- Mash until smooth.
- Stir in spinach, Parmesan cheese, kosher salt, and pepper.
- Stir until well combined and the spinach is no longer frozen or in chunks.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and cover with crispy fried onions.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown and potatoes are hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 382mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.