This strawberry basil gin rickey is the perfect summertime cocktail! Not too sweet, filled with strawberry basil flavor, and a breeze to make! You’ll love this simple cocktail recipe!
Is it full-on summer where you live?
Here in North Carolina, the temperature is up and it’s time for summer!
This delicious strawberry basil gin rickey is just what you need!
Slightly sweet, not too boozy, and just the right amount of fizzy from the added sparkling water.
Trust me, if you’re in a cocktail mood this is the drink for you!
I like to garnish my drink with sliced strawberries and fresh herbs but it’s up to you how fancy you want to get with the garnishes.
Plus, this drink is made with my homemade strawberry basil simple syrup!
Ingredients for strawberry basil gin rickey
- Strawberry basil simple syrup – This delicious homemade simple syrup is the perfect summertime ingredient twist to the gin rickey cocktail.
- Gin – I like to use a nice dry gin as that is what I typically have on hand. However, most gins will work well here because they are already very botanical in flavor.
- Fresh lime juice – Just a touch to bring acidity and to cut any sweetness from the simple syrup.
- Sparkling water – Use plain sparkling water to add a refreshing fizz to the cocktail. You can also use Club Soda, seltzer water, or sparkling mineral water.
- Ice – Helps keep the drink cold and delicious.
- Garnishes – make it fancy or keep it simple! I like to use sliced strawberries, fresh mint leaves, or fresh basil as garnishes.
Best gin to use
Gin is a pretty botanical liquor so it works well in a cocktail made with a herbed simple syrup.
I typically keep dry gins on hand but you can easily use a more floral gin if that is what you have.
A great starter gin is Bombay Sapphire which can easily be found at most liquor stores.
How to make in advance
You can make these cocktails in advance by preparing the strawberry basil simple syrup and putting together all the ingredients in a pitcher besides the ice and sparkling water.
Before serving pour it over ice and top with sparkling water.
Making it for a party
Want to make this cocktail for a party?
The recipe in the post is for 2 cocktails so you’ll want to multiply the recipe ingredients for however much you want to make.
I recommend waiting to add the ice and fizzy water until you’re ready to serve so the fizz does not go away before serving.
Storage and leftovers
This recipe only makes 2 cocktails so if you’re looking to only make just cut the ingredients in half!
The simple syrup will last for 2 weeks stored in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.
More summer cocktail recipes
- Craving another strawberry cocktail? Try my Strawberry Rhubarb Margarita.
- Want the perfect tropical island paradise drink? Try my Coconut Mojito.
- Need an easy summer treat? Try my Watermelon Frose.
- Love sweet summer mango? Try my Mango Mojito.
- 1/2 cup strawberry basil simple syrup
- 1/2 cup gin
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup sparkling water
- 2 cups ice
- In a small pitcher combine the strawberry basil simple syrup, gin, and lime juice.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the ice and top with the sparkling water.
- Serve immediately and serve with your desired garnishes - fresh berries, mint, or basil.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 632Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 17mgCarbohydrates: 138gFiber: 2gSugar: 131gProtein: 1g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.