These zucchini lasagna rolls are the perfect summertime fresh vegetable-filled meal! Thinly sliced zucchini stuffed with a cheesy ricotta mixture and covered in a meaty tomato basil sauce.
Are you craving a big summertime meal?
Well, these zucchini lasagna rolls are just what you need!
These babies are filled with a cheesy ricotta spinach mixture and topped with a rich and meaty tomato sauce.
My favorite part about this recipe is that it’s an all-in-one type of recipe. It’s got protein, tons of veggies, and a lot of flavor!
What more does anyone need?
If you need options for making this dish meatless or alternative options for proteins make sure to read the whole post!
Ingredients for zucchini lasagna rolls
- Zucchini – You’re looking for 4 medium-sized zucchini like you see in the photo.
- Tomato sauce – I used a simple basil tomato sauce for this recipe but you can use your favorite jarred or homemade tomato sauce. My Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce would work well here.
- Ground beef – Optional but I think it brings richness to the dish. You could also use ground chicken, turkey, or pork.
- Baby spinach – Adds a boost of veggies to the cheese mixture. It adds a pop of color too.
- Cheese – I used a mix of Parmesan, mozzarella, and ricotta for the filling. Not only is this mixture creamy and melty it’s delicious!
- Egg – This helps hold together and firm up the cheese mixture filling.
Making these zucchini roll-ups meatless
Looking to make this recipe meatless?
You can easily leave out the ground beef with no changes or add in chopped mushroom for meaty umami feel and taste.
I like to use portabella mushrooms but white mushrooms would work well here too.
Using a different form of ground meat
Not a fan of ground beef?
No worries my friends! I have you covered with a few delicious options.
- ground chicken – gives you a light low-fat meat addition.
- Italian sausage – spicy, sweet, or mild would all work here.
- ground turkey – low-fat addition with a hint of dark meat flavor.
What to serve with zucchini lasagna
This meal is the total package but if you’re looking to add a little on the side here are a few options:
- Get cheesy with delicious and flavor-packed Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread.
- Add a delicious summer salad to the mix with this Grilled Sourdough Panzanella Salad.
- Looking to add even more veggies? Try this Roasted Asparagus Caesar Salad to give you the perfect veggie side dish meets salad.
- Go extra with this Spinach Artichoke Bread.
Storage and leftovers
You can store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
To reheat just simply add to the microwave and reheat on high heat until warmed throughout.
More zucchini recipes
- Want a simple pickled treat? Try my Sweet and Spicy Zucchini Pickles
- Craving an easy but light dinner recipe? Try my Ground Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Need a fast and easy appetizer? Try my Greek Zucchini Fritters
- Love a simple summer pizza? Try my Zucchini Corn Feta Pizza
- 4 medium size zucchinis
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (24 ounce) jar basil tomato sauce
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups of fresh minced spinach
- 1-1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1-1/4 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 large egg
- Slice the zucchinis into thin strips using a knife or with a mandolin. The mandolin makes it much easier. The number of slices will depend on the size of your zucchini but you should get 6-8 slices PER zucchini.
- Place the zucchini strips on paper towels and sprinkle salt on top. After 15 minutes, turn them over and repeat. This will sweat out moisture.
- After 30 minutes have passed, squeeze the zucchinis to remove the rest of the water.
- While the zucchini slices are sweating prepare the sauce and filling.
- Place a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and break up with a spatula.
- Season the ground beef with black pepper and a pinch of kosher salt.
- Cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Add in the garlic cloves and saute for 30 seconds or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Drain the fat off the ground beef and pour the jar of tomato sauce into the ground beef. Stir to combine and remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine fresh minced spinach, ricotta cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded Parmesan cheese, and egg.
- Stir to combine.
- Spread a ladle full of sauce to the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Spread the sauce over the bottom of the dish.
- Spread 1-1/2 teaspoon of the ricotta mixture onto each zucchini and roll up and place in the baking dish.
- Spread the rest of the sauce on top of the rolls and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and is bubbling.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 938Total Fat: 57gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 275mgSodium: 1179mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 82g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.