Honeycrisp Apple Sangria

Sangria isn’t just for summer! This sweet honeycrisp apple sangria is perfect for fall!

Honeycrisp Apple Sangria by Nutmeg Nanny

I have often associated sangria with summer. There is just something about that fruity sweet wine mixed with delicious liquor soaked fruit and sings outside summer party.

As I stared at a bowl full of honeycrisp apples I knew I had to do something with them before they went to waste.   I searched online and found a lovely autumn inspired sangria.  It mixes deep fragrant flavors of cinnamon, ginger and cloves with light crisp citrus flavors.  It would be perfect for a party and even better for a girls night!

Honeycrisp Apple Sangria by Nutmeg Nanny

My favorite part of the sangria was munching on the apples that were left over. Amazing!  The great thing about using honeycrisp apples is that they are crisp (the name really does fit the product), hold up great to soaking and still keep some of their natural sweetness.  If you are planning a party I seriously recommend making this.  I used one of my favorite un-oaked chardonnays (Wishing Tree) but feel free to use whatever un-oaked you prefer.

Honeycrisp Apple Sangria by Nutmeg Nanny

3 whole cloves
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Ice
Club soda

Source: Adapted from Adam Seger & Food and Wine Magazine

Peel, core and chop one of the apples. In a bowl, combine the Chardonnay, schnapps and honey. Add the quartered orange, lemon, lime, cinnamon sticks, chopped apple, ginger and cloves and refrigerate overnight. (If you don't want to wait that long at least give it 4 hours)

Strain the sangria into a pitcher. Peel, core and finely chop the remaining apple. Peel, section and chop the remaining orange. Mix the apple and orange in a bowl.

On a small plate, blend the sugar and cinnamon. Moisten the rims of wine glasses and dip in the cinnamon sugar to coat. Fill the glasses with ice. Pour in the sangria until three-quarters full. Top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with a spoonful of the chopped apple and orange.

116 Responses to “Honeycrisp Apple Sangria”

Faith — November 4, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Your pics are really gorgeous! This looks so delicious. (Even though I don’t drink I can still appreciate the looks of an amazing drink, right? ;) ) I love the cinnamon sugar on the rim, total genius!

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 4th, 2009 @ 10:31 pm

Even if you don’t drink you can still admire :)

Jen — November 4, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Your sangria looks so festive. Honeycrisp are my favorite apples!

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 4th, 2009 @ 10:31 pm

I know honeycrisp are so the best!

Julia — November 4, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Oh how I love sangria. And with the fall flavors, of man, this looks fantastic. I love all the fresh ingredients added!

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 4th, 2009 @ 10:32 pm

I’m a huge fan of sangria too. I was so happy when I found a Fall recipe that would fit my favorite drink :)

donna — November 4, 2009 at 6:08 pm

This is my most favorite post of the day. LOVE sangria and this one is just perfect! Thanks for the idea.

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 4th, 2009 @ 10:33 pm

Aww thanks! Drink up :) It does a body great!

Blond Duck — November 4, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Even your drinks are deliciously sweet!

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 4th, 2009 @ 10:34 pm

Well sweet is always good :)

Bonnie Lewis — November 4, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Oh my goodness, that made my mouth water looking at that! I am ABSOLUTELY going to try this!

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 4th, 2009 @ 10:34 pm

Fantastic! I hope you love it as much as I do :)

jenn — November 4, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Lovely!!! I just looked at the clock and it’s currently happy hour. ;-D Maybe an apple sangria is in order, yes?

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 4th, 2009 @ 10:34 pm

An apple sangria is always in order! Happy hour or no happy hour :) Hehehe…

Jessica — November 4, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Yum! I love sangria but I have never had an autumn appropriate one before. It looks delicious, and your pictures are fantastic! I too enjoy an unoaked chardonnay and I cannot wait to try this recipe:)

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 4th, 2009 @ 10:35 pm

Well when you come visit I will make it for you :) Then we can drink our Bitch Bubbly…oh yeah!!!

Molly Smith — November 4, 2009 at 11:17 pm

That looks delicious! Great way to use some fall apples.

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 5th, 2009 @ 9:43 am

I know! Fall apples always seem to pile up…now I found a great use:)

foodlibrarian — November 5, 2009 at 9:30 am

Love all the recent boozie posts. I don’t drink but I forwarded them to friends who do! – mary

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 5th, 2009 @ 9:48 am

Haha I just realized I have done a lot of boozie posts lately…whoops :) Thanks for passing them along!

Heavenly Housewife — November 5, 2009 at 12:25 pm

You made this look so beautiful!

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 5th, 2009 @ 8:57 pm

Thanks!

Debbie — November 5, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Looks delicious and your pics are terrific!

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 5th, 2009 @ 8:58 pm

Thanks! Tell Foodgawker my pictures look great….they seem to keep turning me down…lol.

Blond Duck — November 5, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I’m so glad the little girl you nanny for likes it. :)

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 5th, 2009 @ 8:59 pm

She is such a little reader…. :)

girlichef — November 5, 2009 at 4:05 pm

I am SOOOOOOOOOO making this!! I love Sangria…this is a fabulous version. Honeycrisps are also my favorite apples, so it was meant to be. That rim is awesome, too!! YUM :)

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 5th, 2009 @ 9:24 pm

Hooray! I hope you love it :)

clumbsycookie — November 5, 2009 at 5:37 pm

What a fun sangria!!!

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 5th, 2009 @ 9:24 pm

It’s perfect for any party!

Reeni — November 5, 2009 at 8:48 pm

This sounds absolutely delicious! I love everything about it – the warm spices, the apples, and the booze!

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 5th, 2009 @ 9:25 pm

Hahaha yes the booze is only one of the great aspects :) It really was delicious and gave a hint of Fall in all it’s warm flavors…yum!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 5, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Oooh… I am a huge fan of sangria! I will definitely be making this soon. :)

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie — November 5, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Delicious autumn sangria, love your presentation, very pretty!

Nicole — November 6, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Oh, that’s pretty… and I love apple sangria. Will definitely try this!

Amanda — November 8, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Wow, that looks really fabulous! I will have to try it :)

chayacomfycook — November 9, 2009 at 12:28 pm

A delicious looking drink. Look your photos.

CakeSpy — November 9, 2009 at 4:33 pm

This looks freaking amazing!! It being that I am in the state with the best apples (it’s true!) I think it is my duty to try this one out.

zoe — November 10, 2009 at 7:51 am

Wow I have never seen this kind of sangria with apples and cinnamon, lovely!!

Chiara — November 10, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Apple sangria! What a great idea!!! I was just moaning and complaining on Faith’s blog that I don’t know what to do with all these apples I have… this sounds like something I should make and bring with me on vacation!

Melissa Peterman — December 1, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Sold!

Perfect for New Years Eve!

marla {family fresh cooking} — November 21, 2010 at 1:00 pm

LOVE your take on a Fall season sangria!! Just added to my Thanksgiving round-up that I will post tomorrow :)

Jen — September 27, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Holy wow! This sounds so yummy! Found it via Pinterest and cannot wait to try it! Happy apple season!
    jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

Anya — September 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I LOVE sangria in summer and can’t wait to taste the Fall version of my favorite drink. Thanks for sharing!

Brittany Pope — October 4, 2011 at 10:04 am

LOVED this recipe!! I made it this weekend! It is the perfect FALL treat!! Thanks for sharing!! I’ve made sure everyone from my blog knows where it comes from. Feel free to follow me!

Alison @CouponKitchen — October 9, 2011 at 11:54 am

This looks AMAZING! I can’t wait to try it now that it’s finally fall! I look forward to following your blog more!

Suzanne Russell — October 9, 2011 at 2:59 pm

This sounds amazing! We are trying it out next weekend as we go to the mountains for a little fall retreat with our adult children. Sounds like the perfect kickoff to a special family event to me!

katie r — October 19, 2011 at 7:00 pm

It is sooo good!! :) My sister made it and I can’t wait to make it for a dinner party!

sheila — October 24, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Making this for our halloween party- how many servings is this? thank You!

• admin replied: — October 25th, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

Hi Sheila,

I think you would probably get about 5-6 cups per serving. I would definitely double or triple if you are serving for a large crowd.

• sheila replied: — October 29th, 2011 @ 12:14 am

Thank You! I used cupcake brand chardonay- I don’t drink chardonay at all and don’t know how to pick it. The bowl is in the fridge now for overnight- can’t wait to see how it is. Since I’m thinking about doubling the recipe would it be best to use the same chardonay or can I get another brand. (I’m not sure if the store closest to me that I will have to go to will have cupcake brand).

• admin replied: — October 29th, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

I would probably stay with the same brand of chardonnay just because I’m not sure how mixing would taste. If the local liquor store doesn’t carry the Cupcake brand (which I love by the way!) you could try asking the clerk for another recommendation. Maybe they could point in the direction of another wine that would blend well.

Hope you all enjoy the sangria at the party! :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — October 25, 2011 at 5:31 am

This sounds incredible!

Jersey Girl Cooks — October 25, 2011 at 8:57 am

Love this as I love honeycrisp apples!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — October 25, 2011 at 9:54 am

I actually repinned this last week I think. I didn’t know it was yours! :)

Stephanie — November 1, 2011 at 9:42 am

I found your recipe on Pinterest . I made it the other night and it is delicious! I love the yummy fall flavors. Instead of pisco which is a Peruvian/Chilean brandy, I used regular brandy. I also used a 1/2 cup mixture of simple syrup, lime juice and orange juice. It’s my new favorite way to make sangria! Thanks for posting it!!!

Betty D — November 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm

We made this for my daughter’s bridal shower yesterday and it was a huge hit. Even if you are not a fan of traditional Sangria, which I am not, you should check this out. We made a test batch before the shower and ended up making two changes. We left out the fresh ginger and used ginger ale in place of the club soda.
    Thanks for the recipe.

becky @ the Mixing Bowl Diary — November 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm

oh. my. goodness. i love this recipe.

Stayce — November 18, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Love the idea of this. Thinking of maybe trying it out for a Holiday party. Can you tell me approximately how many servings this will make? Thanks in advance!

Stayce — November 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Nevermind, just now saw where you already answered this question. My apologizes!!

Patti @ Easton Place Designs — November 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Helllllo, Apple Sangria! I will definitely be trying this lovely concoction out soon :) Thank you for posting. Your photos are so inviting!

Taco Tuesday — December 23, 2011 at 12:40 pm

My girlfriend re-posted this recipe on her blog and I’m so excited to try it!

Ruby — January 14, 2012 at 11:03 am

whoa, that looks so good! I see one or three of these in my future.

Girlfriends Are Like Shoes

Staci — August 13, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Yum. Oh my, yum!! Honeycrisp is my favorite apple variety – add a little alcohol and and let’s head into fall!

Kim — September 22, 2012 at 9:20 pm

mmmm! This looks so delicious. I’m a huge sangria fan and I’m loving all of the new non-traditional recipes coming out! This one will be great to make for Thanksgiving. Thanks for the recipe!

Steph — October 2, 2012 at 11:54 am

YUM! I am having a girls night and I am definitely making this! Do you think I would be ok using Pinot Grigio instead of Chardonnay??

• Brandy replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 6:07 pm

Hi Steph: I think Pinot Grigio would work fine. It’s a little sweeter than Chardonnay but I think it would taste delicious. Hope you all enjoy the sangria!

Jennifer E. — October 10, 2012 at 8:33 am

Hello, stumbled upon this recipe via Pinterest and am so excited to make this after I have my baby at the end of this month! I have ground ginger, how much would I sub for the fresh? Thanks!

• Brandy replied: — October 10th, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

Hi Jennifer! Congratulation on your (almost here!) baby ;) I would really suggest using fresh ginger but if you cannot get your hands on fresh try adding about 1/2 teaspoon – 1 teaspoon to get a slight ginger flavor. Hope this helps!

Michelle — September 16, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Am planning on making this for a fall party… are you able to use any honey, is it just a sweetener? if i just use regular honey instead of orange blossom honey will it ruin the taste of the drink? Thank you :)

• nutmegnanny replied: — September 17th, 2013 @ 6:49 am

Yes, regular honey will work fine. I like the orange blossom because it’s not too strong. However, I have used clover honey before and it was still tasty :)

1. Pingback: Chicken Sausage and Brown Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash « Nutmeg Nanny

2. Pingback: Food Blog Holiday Recipes: Thanksgiving 2010 Round-Up & Fall Favorites — Family Fresh Cooking

3. Pingback: As Promised…Strawberry Ice Cream « ticklemyficklefancy

4. Pingback: {Recipes & Menue Ideas} Be-Fall with Drinks and Dresses | Fashion, Design & Decor Ideas | | WEDDING NOUVEAU

5. Pingback: The Perfect Fall Cocktail! « Food « Lifestyle « RTR On Campus

6. Pingback: Honeycrisp Apple Sangria | livelovepasta

7. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday

8. Pingback: BIRTHDAY! | Cooking in the "Real World"

9. Pingback: Pinterest for Thanksgiving | Joyful Musings

10. Pingback: weekend road trip » Lovely Little Parties Kentucky

11. Pingback: » What I Bring to the Table HappyLittleMesses

12. Pingback: food | Pearltrees

13. Pingback: Greetings, weekend! | Erin Motz

14. Pingback: grand opening event – autumn wine & dine » Melissa Darst Photography Blog

15. Pingback: Honeycrisp Apple Sangria recipe, Apple Pie Recipe

16. Pingback: How To.. Make The Perfect Fall Drink, Apple Sangria | Things Every College Girl Should Know

17. Pingback: Searchable Saturdays « Vegetarian 'Ventures

18. Pingback: Hot Pink Brides | Modern Unique Glamorous Brides Guide · Autumn wedding inspiration: cinnamon and turquoise

19. Pingback: Pumpkin Season.

20. Pingback: » Upcycle This: Apple Peels BrightNest Blog

21. Pingback: Fall Eats | Southern Charm

22. Pingback: A Basic Bookclub Host Menu | Entertaining at Home | Old House Crazy

23. Pingback: Autumn Apple Cider Sangria | Slim Pickin's Kitchen

24. Pingback: raspberries and sangria – squeezing it all together

25. Pingback: Pumpkin Coffee Cake | Julie's Chick Lit

26. Pingback: Halloween Wine Accessories

27. Pingback: Festive Drinks « Savory. Sweet. Eat.

28. Pingback: Autumn Drink Recipes | Blushing Black

29. Pingback: Thursday Theme | KoKoa Magazine

30. Pingback: pin it, do it – honeycrisp apple sangria – sparkles, sarcasm & snacks

31. Pingback: Thanksgiving Cocktails « MY Styled Affair

32. Pingback: Signature Fall Drink :: Apple Sangria | Creating Couture Parties :: Ideas & Inspiration for the Party Planner in all of Us!

33. Pingback: Honeycrisp Apple Sangria- Sold. | 117 Mulberry

34. Pingback: Apple Crisp Sangria | THE FLYCANDY POST

35. Pingback: Honeycrisp Apple Sangria- Sold. | 117 Mulberry

36. Pingback: Rehearsal Dinner Cocktail: Sweet Summertime Sangrias | Rehearsal Dinner Guide

37. Pingback: Nutmeg Nanny » Sparkling Summer Sangria

38. Pingback: fall sangria | pretty plain janes

39. Pingback: Oh How Pinteresting: Fall Edition

40. Pingback: Honey Crisp Apple Sangria – November 3, 2013 | adventuresineverydaylifedotcom

41. Pingback: A Vegetarian Thanksgiving | Forbidden Rice Blog