Crispy Roast Pork

This crispy roast pork is perfect when eaten plain or piled high on top of a sandwich. Perfectly seasoned and totally delicious.

Crispy Roast Pork by Nutmeg Nanny

Crispy pork is just about one of my most favorite things ever. The best part is that it beyond easy to make but it does take a bit of time planning. You are going to have to set aside most of your day letting this sexy beast slow roast until completely cooked. The worst part is the delicious smell that will fill your house around hour 3.

You then have to sit there for another 4 hours just waiting to dig in. It’s pure torture.

Crispy Roast Pork by Nutmeg Nanny

On day one I opted to eat my pork plain and {I may have just simply picked the pork off the roast with my hands….like a caveman} and washed it all down with Stella Artois Cidre. I thought it would pair nicely together since apples and pork are basically a match made in heaven.

Make sure to check back for a few fun recipes using this delicious crispy pork. Well, that is if you don’t eat it all in one sitting.

Crispy Roast Pork by Nutmeg Nanny

Crispy Roast Pork

Yield: 6 pound roast

Cook Time: 7 hours

Total Time: 7 hours

6 pound bone-in skin-on pork shoulder
Kosher salt
Fresh cracked pepper

Source: Serious Eats

Pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, place a wire rack on top and lay down a piece of parchment paper.

Rub the whole roast heavily with salt and pepper.

Lay the roast on the parchment paper and let slow roast for 6.5 hours.

Once the roast is fully cooked remove from the oven and let rest while you heat the oven to 500 degrees.

Once the oven reaches 500 degrees put the roast back in the oven and rotate the pan every 5 minutes. This will help crisp up the skin.

When the roast is crispy remove from the oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes.

Slice and devour!

*Check back for a few fun recipes using this delicious roast pork!

Recipes using crispy pork:

Cuban Sandwich by Nutmeg Nanny

Cuban Sandwich

Crispy Roast Pork Panini with Rapini and Spicy Sauce by Nutmeg Nanny

Crispy Roast Pork Panini with Rapini and Spicy Sauce

Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Stella Artois via Glam Media.  The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Stella Artois.

27 Responses to “Crispy Roast Pork”

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — September 10, 2013 at 8:54 am

Pig has never looked so good! ;)

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — September 10, 2013 at 9:22 am

Dear God I want this now!

Ruthy @ Omeletta — September 10, 2013 at 9:24 am

7 long and torturous hours before this baby is cooked!? I don’t know if I would be able to wait that long!

Marnely Rodriguez-Murray — September 10, 2013 at 10:29 am

Oh wow, this is what we make back home for Christmas! Smaller families make it like this, we used to make the whole pig….I’m drooling.

Vicki @ WITK — September 10, 2013 at 11:07 am

I have always avoided making things like this because it looks complicated. But this recipe looks nothing but easy! Way to inspire me!

• nutmegnanny replied: — September 10th, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

I hope you give it a try! It’s so delicious!

Denise — September 10, 2013 at 12:52 pm

LOVE pork roast – was going to grill one last week and by the time I got the butcher …. SOLD OUT. Great holiday recipe!

Christy Spurlock — September 10, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Wishing I was sitting down to eat this now. Looks Delish. Going to try this upcoming weekend.

Rachel Cooks — September 10, 2013 at 1:25 pm

WOW! This looks amazing!

Tracey — September 10, 2013 at 9:25 pm

My husband is looking over my shoulder looking at your pics and begging me to make this. Guess I have a weekend project to get on :)

Joanne — September 10, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I don’t know what has captured my attention more…those crispy bits or the cider! I’m kind of a sucker for good cider.

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — September 11, 2013 at 7:45 am

Wow, wow, wow. That pork looks fantastic! I can actually taste it, washed down with one of those ciders. My husband will also flip for it, totally making this soon!

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — September 11, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Oooh all those hours smelling those aromas! Roast pork has the best smell of all roasts; there should be a roast pork scented candle! And the crispy skin is the bomb!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 11, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Goodness gracious – Jason and I are coming over for dinner – I’m sure you have leftovers? :)

Katrina — September 12, 2013 at 12:14 am

That is some beautiful color on that roast!

Tamara Coleman — September 13, 2013 at 9:00 am

Whoa! The color of the pork is beautiful and the flavors sound amazing! Piece of art! :)

Andie — September 13, 2013 at 3:11 pm

My mom makes this every year for Easter, but instead of cooking it for 7 hours in the oven (or we used to use a Cajun Microwave) now we just use one of those infrared “fryers” and it does the trick in a lot less time!!!

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective — September 13, 2013 at 7:58 pm

What a delicious-looking pork roast! I love the color, and I am excited to find out that Stella makes a Cidre! Love me a good cider! :)

Shanna@ pineapple and coconut — September 14, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I want this for dinner. That is all. And the Cidre sounds amazing!!

Bree (Skinny Mommy) — September 16, 2013 at 11:47 am

That pork looks rather divine!

Margot C — September 26, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Ok! I’m making this today with a really handsome looking roast that I saw and (literally) ::bing:: this picture for your blog popped into my head.

Question: how long is that finishing 500° part over-all. I understand rotate ever 5 minutes, but how long do you end up at the high heat do you find?

Margot C — September 26, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Success! I think the parchment paper is the thing, and I also have a really perfect pan for this. I bought this recently and it is heaven – http://store.calphalon.com/calphalon-unison-nonstick-3-pc-griddle-set/584559 I’ve never even used this as a griddle but I use it to roast everything now.

Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker — September 27, 2013 at 8:47 am

My oh my oh myy. This looks soo good I want a slice right now. Serve that up with some potatoes and cabbage man!

Deborah — October 9, 2013 at 2:35 am

I don’t think there are many things that I want more than I want that pork right now!!

1. Pingback: Nutmeg Nanny » Crispy Pork Panini with Rapini and Spicy Sauce