Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate

This rich and creamy peanut butter hot chocolate is perfect for keeping you warm all winter long. Plus it’s super simply because it’s made in your blender! That’s right. I made this delicious treat right in my Vitamix!

This rich and creamy peanut butter hot chocolate is perfect for keeping you warm all winter long. Plus it's super simply because it's made in your blender! That's right. I made this delicious treat right in my Vitamix!

Over a year ago Art and I decided to get rid of cable. The prices kept going up and too many time we found ourselves complaining about nothing to watch on TV. Why were we paying over $100 a month for TV that we apparently didn’t find very entertaining.

While I definitely miss my DVR and super trashy reality TV (Toddler and Tiaras!) I’m glad we got rid of cable. What a freaking waste of money. Really, why should anyone be pay over 1k a year just to watch mostly re-runs of shows, trashy reality TV (even if I did love it) and sports crap.

Now we have Netflix and Amazon Prime. While I will say I sometimes have a hard time finding something to watch I always find something. Art likes to laugh at me because I get into phases where I will watch Murder She Wrote for days straight and then all of a sudden I’m completely over it and will pick a different show to obsess over. {Fun fact! I met Angela Landsbury and Michelle Obama on the same day back in 2012. How is that for a crazy day at work!}

If you really want to know I’m back to watching Beverly Hills 90210. Awhile ago I talked about how I watched the first season but then had to stop because they had no other seasons. Well, now they have more. If you’re still wondering I still think Brenda is the worst.

Oh, and I’m totally team Brandon. Dylan looks like a weird 30 year old who is trying to fit into high school. Plus his voice is super annoying. If I have to hear him say “but Bren….” one more time I just might scream.

It’s totally rational to be annoyed at a show that went off the air almost 15 years ago…right?

Wait…2000 was almost 15 years ago? I have almost been graduated from high school for 15 years?

Crap. I’m getting old. Do you people realize I’m old enough to almost have a child driving? I mean in reality I have no children. I have cats. Who really do nothing but annoy me for food and then sleep all day.

I could not imagine taking care of a human that actually belonged to me. I’m great at taking care of other peoples humans. I’m just not sure I’m ready to have a little human of my own.

See this hot chocolate? I had this for lunch. Seriously. I made this hot chocolate and then drank both huge glasses. That was my lunch.

Children cannot live on just peanut butter hot chocolate.

I’m pretty sure of that.

Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate

Yield: 2 servings

For hot chocolate:

• 1-1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
  • 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

For topping:

• 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon Truvia sweetener
  • Chocolate Syrup
  • 2 tablespoons melted peanut butter

For hot chocolate:
Add milk, chocolate morsels and peanut butter into your high speed blender. I used my Vitamix.

Top the Vitamix and process on high for 4-5 minutes until the mixture is hot and frothy.

Pour hot chocolate into 2 mugs.

For topping:
While your hot chocolate is processing make whipped cream.

In the bowl of an electric mixer add whipping cream and sweetener. Whip until the mixture has reached soft peaks.

Top hot chocolate with equal amount of whipped cream and drizzle on chocolate syrup and melted peanut butter.

Notes: If you do not own a high powered blender just add all hot chocolate ingredients to a small saucepan and warm on the stove over medium heat until hot and creamy.

Remember about a month ago when I told you all about the Truvia Baking Star competition? Well, it’s almost time to vote! That’s right. Starting on October 22nd you can place you vote for the next baking star. So head on over to to cast your vote!

Source: I was compensated by TruviaΒ to use their product in this recipe. As always all opinionsΒ and views are 100% my own. There are also affiliated links in this post.

60 Responses to “Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate”

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — October 20, 2014 at 7:44 am

The hubs and I have been having the “kids” talk and I am NOT FOR IT. I am totally using your thought process (kids cant have the DELISHNESS for lunch) during out next argument….I mean, chat πŸ˜‰
    Obsessed with this! Pinned!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — October 20, 2014 at 7:49 am

This post is seriously so funny in so many ways. You’re the best. As is this hot chocolate πŸ˜‰

Carolyn — October 20, 2014 at 7:50 am

UM…I need this. NEED this.

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — October 20, 2014 at 8:10 am

The ONLY thing that is keeping me from making the jump to no cable is Sunday night Walking Dead and 25 Days of Christmas. Other than that, we survive quite happily on Netflix and Hulu Plus! Although – and don’t shoot me – I’m totally team Dylan for life. It’s ok, we can just bond over a mutual love of hot chocolate for lunch. Because this is amazing and I want it every day for lunch. And breakfast. And snack.

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — October 20, 2014 at 8:11 am

Wow you met FLOTUS?? PS I heart PB + chocolate. It’s just too bad you didn’t capture them in this recipe…. lol xoxo

Liz@HoosierHomemade — October 20, 2014 at 8:12 am

Oh MY! That’s like heaven in a cup!

Marly — October 20, 2014 at 8:21 am

Wow – this hot chocolate looks good enough to be dessert. Love it! Pinned!!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — October 20, 2014 at 8:25 am

Too funny! I think I know what I’m having for lunch today.

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — October 20, 2014 at 8:38 am

I can’t even with this drink. Amaze-balls! I used to love 90210. My guilty pleasure right now is re-runs of Grey’s Anatomy! The old episodes are the BEST!

leslie — October 20, 2014 at 8:51 am

I totally need to get rid of cable. We pay $170 per month and I don’t even watch it….CRAZY> But I don’t think I could torture myself by watching 90210 all over again. lol
    I’d have no problem drinking down 2 cups of this right along with you!

Sharana @ Living THe Sweet Life — October 20, 2014 at 8:54 am

We’ve been thinking about cutting cable too – with just my husband and I, it honestly makes no sense. And we have netflicks :) our latest obsession is house of lies — it’s pretty good, a little “adult” but pretty good.

This hot chocolate is also blowing my mind!! YUM

Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes — October 20, 2014 at 8:58 am

I would love to see an old 90210, and I am thinking I would be totally annoyed with Dylan too if I were to see it now. Though back in high school I loved him! I’m not gonna lie. I know how that happens about the random thing you’re shooting ending up as lunch. I did that with a huge bowl a ice cream one time, and it was the best most satisfying thing ever. If I hadn’t I would have just been craving it so, why not indulge in what you really want?

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — October 20, 2014 at 9:06 am

Oh, but I’d be happy to live on just Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate!

Emily Bites — October 20, 2014 at 9:12 am

Seems like a perfect lunch to me! I can’t wait to make this and I love that it’s made in a blender.

We have talked about ditching cable before, but my greatest worry is that I wouldn’t have enough trashy TV in my life, haha. I am a netflix addict though, so maybe we should talk about it again. Currently making my way through all the seasons of Gilmore Girls and loving it!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — October 20, 2014 at 9:17 am

What a fun twist on hot chocolate. I think my husband would especially like this!

Tanya Schroeder — October 20, 2014 at 9:28 am

No, kids may not be able to live on chocolate and peanut butter along, but I sure could! Looks wonderful!

Sandy @ Reluctant Entertainer — October 20, 2014 at 9:47 am

I love my Vitamix. Probably my most-used appliance. Great recipe – fun for the holidays!

Allie | Baking a Moment — October 20, 2014 at 10:08 am

Having a little human of your own = never watching tv again. At least that is how it has gone for me. It’s nothing but sponge bob or football around here, 24/7. I wish we could give up our cable- 1k/year makes me want to poke my own eyes out. I guess your husband isn’t a football fan? That would never fly around here, unfortunately. :(

This pb hot chocolate looks incredible!!! What a fabulous treat, definitely pinned!

Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks! On a Diet — October 20, 2014 at 10:21 am

We’d get rid of cable if it wasn’t for sports. Oh well. So glad you had the Truvia to reduce the calories on that drink because it looks DECADENT. Oh my.

Cookin Canuck — October 20, 2014 at 10:36 am

Yeah, cable definitely does seem like a waste of time these days. As for 90210…Dylan always bugged the heck out of me. And I’m not even going to go into my negative feelings about Brenda! But I’m pretty sure this hot chocolate would make me feel better! Gorgeous!

christine — October 20, 2014 at 10:52 am

Oh man, I want to just take a spoon and devour the top of this hot chocolate and then reapply another layer and do it all over again! And you are right, Brenda is THE WORST! We have Amazon and Netflix too but I still can’t bring myself to get rid of cable, even though it’s ridiculous. I’m too much of a crap tv junkie.

Claire Gallam — October 20, 2014 at 10:57 am

Yeah I’m with you on the humans of our own. However, baby fever has hit me HARD. Like HARD, so i think a baby may be in my near future.

But so is this hot chocolate. NOM.

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — October 20, 2014 at 11:11 am

Good lawd!! This looks totally amazing. Drooling right now :)

Karly — October 20, 2014 at 11:30 am

Peanut butter! In your milk!! I think I love you.

Stephanie @ Back For Seconds — October 20, 2014 at 11:53 am

This is like the most perfect drink that ever existed! Heavenly! Pinned :)

Kristina — October 20, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Jason and I have the kids talk every so often… for now, we like our dachshunds πŸ˜‰

Jason had never watched 90210 when it was on air… a few years ago they played several episodes on the weekend mornings – if we were home being lazy I’d make him watch with me, and got him caught up on the drama πŸ˜‰

and Dylan?? I totally agree with you!

Kristina — October 20, 2014 at 12:30 pm

so distracted by 90210… ha! I LOVE peanut butter hot chocolate – I am so making this soon!

Jennifer | Bake or Break — October 20, 2014 at 1:28 pm

We went cable-less for a few years and didn’t really miss it, not with Netflix and iTunes. But now we’re in that weird it’s-cheaper-to-keep-it thing with our internet. Anyway, I would absolutely refuse to go without chocolate and peanut butter for anything more than a day or two. I’ll be breaking out the Vitamix for this soon!

amanda @ fake ginger — October 20, 2014 at 1:50 pm

This looks amazing! My kids have been asking for hot chocolate for months now – gotta make this for them!

My husband is without cable while he’s deployed (duh) and I think he’s watched every single thing on Hulu and Netflix. I look at our “recently watched” section and I’m like, WTF.

Paula - bell'alimento — October 20, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Oh sweet goodness, I need this in my life right now.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — October 20, 2014 at 1:53 pm

You are seriously the best! LOL! We are a Netflix and Hulu Plus family. I’m usually okay with it until I have my weekly anxiety attack that I’m going to read a Scandal spoiler online before I get a chance to watch it the next day :)

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — October 20, 2014 at 2:52 pm

It’s so pretty. I want to dive right in.

And Netflix… yeah. I spend way too much time looking for stuff on there. I got fed up and might have watched 5 seasons of Dawson’s Creek in about a month. I don’t know if I want to bother with the last one. In my defense, I never saw it the first time around, thinking it was lame. It IS lame but at least I have something running in the background while I work. πŸ˜€

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — October 20, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Wow…this is just gorgeous!! I love the design you did on the top of the hot chocolate!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — October 20, 2014 at 3:25 pm

oh my gawd, you’re hilarious!! yes, team Brandon all the way. Dylan totally looked like a weird 30 year old trying to fit into high school and his voice was SO annoying. oh my gawd, girl. . you just took me back!!! πŸ˜› and yeah, unfortunately kids cannot have this for lunch, but I can. . at least while the kids are at school πŸ˜› love this. . you make beautiful food and drinks. . but you already know this.

Brenda@Sugar-Free Mom — October 20, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I’m literally drooling at my keyboard! You make everything look undeniably attractive and I’m not even a hot chocolate kind of girl!

Colleen (Souffle Bombay) — October 20, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I WISH I could get rid of cable – However I must have Top Chef, Masterchef, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead and now Outlander in my life! Lol!
    I was reading and laughing at your 90210 conversation – smacked me with a face full of memories and I was SOOO with you on both Brenda and grandpa Dillon!

Oh and this hot chocolate…ri-dic-u-lous!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — October 20, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I should have never never never read this blog. This is too too too
    intoxicatingly delicious.

Ginny McMeans — October 20, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Wow! I could become addicted. Now for TV? I love Murder She Wrote and that is so cool you met a legend.

Katya @ Little Broken — October 20, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Oh God! This is an ultimate cup of guilty pleasure!

Bea — October 20, 2014 at 7:32 pm

We should really cancel our cable as well as we pretty much only stream tv.

Oh, and your peanut butter hot chocolate sounds absolutely amazing! Perfection in a cup

Lauren @ Healthy Delicious — October 20, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I’m so jealous that you met Angela Landsbury! I have the biggest girl-crush on her (yes, for some reason I crush on the ollllld ones). This hot chocolate might make me feel better. I mean chocolate and peanut butter?!?!?! omg.

Lindsey | Cafe Johnsonia — October 21, 2014 at 9:43 am

We got rid of our TV too. Hulu Plus is my drug of choice. πŸ˜‰

So this hot chocolate is pretty brilliant, I have to say. I keep meaning to try Truvia…and this seems like a good time to start.

Zainab — October 21, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Hahah you are so funny! But it’s so true, we cancelled cable too and it was the best decision ever!

Meseidy — October 22, 2014 at 12:47 am

We did the same TV switch almost two years ago and we will never go back! Now this hot chocolate I would go back for again and again!

Kellie @ The Suburban Soapbox — October 22, 2014 at 9:27 am

My little human would be able to live on this. He’s sitting next to me telling me to make it right now. In other news, I would love to get rid of cable…our bill is almost $300 a month now, so crazy. If I could watch 90210 reruns all day every day (and Sex and The City) I would consider saving the money and buying some shoes.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — October 22, 2014 at 10:18 am

Oh my gosh. You took my heart and made it into a drink. :) PB&C forever!

Joanne — October 22, 2014 at 10:54 am

I WISH we would just stop paying for cable already! I really never watch it…I’m all about Hulu and Netflix, but The.Boy NEEDS his NFL Redzone and baseball. Arrgh.

OMG. This hot chocolate. My heart just skipped a beat.

Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic — October 22, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I totally binge on random Netflix shows. I’m currently working my way through Friday Night Lights, and Psych is always in cue. I never liked Dylan either. The whole misunderstood-James-Dean-wannabe thing got old in a hurry. This hot chocolate? Never. Old. I could drink that every day and be happy.

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — October 22, 2014 at 9:05 pm

This may be the best thing ever created. I cannot wait to try this!

Amanda @ The Kitcheneer — October 23, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Once again, you reach inside my foodie dreams and make it into a reality! This looks delicious!

Amanda @ Cookie Named Desire — November 3, 2014 at 3:47 pm

One of my favorite shows is Will & Grace.. it ended back in what? 2006? I only just saw the finale this past February and it is still traumatizing me. I never watch the season finale of ANYTHING (still have no idea how Lost ended) because I get too emotionally invested in my TV. I totally get it… and team Brandon all the way! Right now I am re-binging on Psych. That never gets old.

I have a little human all to myself. They are a pain in the butt sometimes. But if you don’t care about that silly thing called nutrition, feeding them is a breeze cause they form their own food groups. You want to live off string cheese and eggs all day? Sure! And when they are just starting off eating, all you do is toss some cereal on the table and you are done. You don’t even gotta plate that shizz.

Charlotte — November 13, 2015 at 8:50 am

Ummmm, When do you make it hot? As in “hot chocolate” you keep mentioning. It isn’t mentioned in the recipe.

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 14th, 2015 @ 7:12 pm

Hi Charlotte! In the recipe I talk about using your high speed blender to blend until hot and frothy. The high speed blenders will make the hot chocolate hot. There is also a note at the bottom about adding all the ingredients to a small pot and cooking on the stove if you don’t have a high speed blender (like a Blendtec or Vitamix). Hope you enjoy the hot chocolate!

1. Pingback: Get Daily | Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate