Herbed Mayonnaise Roast Turkey

This herbed mayonnaise roast turkey is the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table. Full of orange, sage, rosemary and thyme it’s super moist and totally easy!

This herbed mayonnaise roast turkey is the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table. Full of orange, sage, rosemary and thyme it's super moist and totally easy!

Turkey.

Yep, it’s that time of the year again. As I have stated in past posts I was always more of a stuffing girl than a turkey girl. Don’t get me wrong. I like turkey. Just not as much as carbs…and pie.

Always pie.

This year I decided to do something a little different. I make a lot of roast chicken but since it’s just my husband and I a whole turkey is usually a little too much. Luckily I scored a tiny turkey and was able to rock the hell out of it.

By the way, do you know how hard it is to find a small turkey? Seriously. I kept picking up 20-pound birds and thinking to myself “I will be eating turkey for weeks if I buy this. WEEKS!”

My “something different” to this turkey was in the form of mayonnaise. I have made mayonnaise roasted chicken before this was my first time slathering it on a giant bird. I also mixed it up with the addition of orange zest and minced sage, thyme and rosemary.

If you’re thinking to yourself “Ummm, ewww. Mayonnaise and turkey?” stop those thoughts immediately. This herbed mayonnaise roast turkey does not taste like a giant turkey sandwich. The mayo helps keep the turkey moist and adds a ton of a flavor. I’m not sure how it works but it just does. In these situations I stop asking questions, shut up and just eat.

If you’re wondering how to make the perfectly moist turkey you have to try Pop-Up® Disposable Cooking Thermometers from Volk Enterprises. They make roasting your turkey super simple by being accurate +/- 2 degrees. Using these handy timers also means you can stop opening the oven door to check your turkey temperature. Do you know what that means? You’re turkey cooks quicker because the temperature of the oven isn’t having to play catch up from all those door openings.

Herbed Mayonnaise Roast Turkey

Yield: 10 pound turkey

Cook Time: 3 hours 30 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours

• 1 (10 pound) fresh turkey (if using frozen make sure it's thawed)
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons orange zest
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice
  • Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 oranges, cut into wedges

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Remove giblets from the inside of the turkey and add turkey to your roasting pan.

Using a paper towel lightly dry off the turkey skin.

In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, orange zest, rosemary, thyme, sage and orange juice.

Rub mayonnaise mixture over the entire turkey and inside the cavity. I use my hands for this job because it the easiest way to coat the entire turkey.

Sprinkle the turkey with kosher salt and pepper.

Stuff the cavity with orange wedges and any remaining fresh herbs you might have.

If you're using a popup timer simply place it into the meaty part of the breast. Press down into the turkey until the timer is flush with the skin.

Add turkey to the oven and cook for 30 minutes at 400 degrees. Lower temperature to 350 and cook until timer pops up or internal temperature is 180 degrees.

If the top of your turkey gets too browned while cooking simply tent it with foil for a bit then remove the foil to continue browning until fully cooked.

Let your turkey rest for at least 30 minutes (I usually let mine rest for about an hour) then carve and enjoy!

Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Volk Enterprises. As always, all thoughts, opinions and ramblings are my own.

37 Responses to “Herbed Mayonnaise Roast Turkey”

Christie — November 17, 2014 at 6:02 am

This turkey looks amazing. I’m definitely going to try this this year. Yum!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — November 17, 2014 at 7:49 am

This turkey is GORGEOUS!!! You did an amazing job!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — November 17, 2014 at 7:50 am

I am seriously drooling and wish I had this for breakfast!

Amy @ A Healthy Life For Me — November 17, 2014 at 7:51 am

Holy-Moly sister, mayo on the outside of a turkey… genius. I have never read anything like this, but it is genius. I will give it a go this holiday season. Pinning now.

Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon — November 17, 2014 at 7:52 am

What a gorgeous turkey! Can’t wait for Thanksgiving!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — November 17, 2014 at 8:19 am

That is one beautiful bird, Brandy! Norman Rockwell would be proud!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — November 17, 2014 at 8:24 am

Looks Divine!!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — November 17, 2014 at 8:25 am

This bird is gorgeous. That herbed mayo is calling my name. Pinned.

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — November 17, 2014 at 9:07 am

Is the 10 pound turkey the tiny one?! The biggest ones we can find out here are, like, 4 pounds. Haha.

Lori @ RecipeGirl — November 17, 2014 at 9:21 am

I love using mayonnaise to keep proteins moist in the cooking process. This looks like a fabulous way to cook your bird!

The Food Hunter — November 17, 2014 at 9:35 am

that’s a very handsome turkey. I’ve never heard of using mayo but I’d try it.

Heather / girlichef — November 17, 2014 at 9:40 am

You say it doesn’t taste like a giant turkey sandwich like that would be a bad thing. I wouldn’t mind that. Either way, you’re an evil (because you make me want to eat…eat…eat…) genius, this is gorgeous.

Jocelyn (Grandbaby cakes) — November 17, 2014 at 9:58 am

This turkey is perfect! Perfect I say!

naomi — November 17, 2014 at 9:59 am

Such a smart way to keep any meat moist. This looks wonderful – that skin looks great, so crispy and brown.

Annie @ ciaochowbambina — November 17, 2014 at 10:39 am

Wow! This turkey looks amazing…your photography has captured it perfectly!

Cookin Canuck — November 17, 2014 at 10:55 am

That is one seriously gorgeous turkey! I’ve heard that mayonnaise does wonders for turkey, but haven’t tried it myself.

Danae @ Recipe Runner — November 17, 2014 at 11:24 am

Pie has always been the winner for me at Thanksgiving, but seriously Brandy, this turkey…OMG! It looks so perfect, herby, crispy, I’d totally be picking at the skin on this bad boy! Pinned

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — November 17, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I am so intrigued by the mayo!! You are brilliant . . and with orange, sage, rosemary and thyme, I know I would devour this turkey! Those Pop-Up® Disposable Cooking Thermometers!!! I’m so getting one for the big day!

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — November 17, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Gorgeous turkey Brandy! I really want to try the mayonnaise method next time. Sounds so good!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — November 17, 2014 at 1:51 pm

This wins as the most unique roast turkey recipe. You did a gorgeous number on the turkey photos. I can’t wait for Thanksgiving now!

Stephanie @ Back for Seconds — November 17, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Ok, you have me craving turkey in a bad way! This is gorgeous and looks so so delicious!

Brenda@Sugar-Free Mom — November 17, 2014 at 3:16 pm

I love fresh sage and adding orange juice and zest was a great idea!! Your pictures are drool worthy!

Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic — November 17, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Girl! I’ll be honest, mayonnaise and I are typically not friends. However if my turkey turns out even half as gorgeous as yours, then I’ll try anything!

Paula - bell'alimento — November 17, 2014 at 6:44 pm

That is one seriously good lookin’ turkey! Pinned.

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — November 17, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Now this sounds like the best way to enjoy turkey!! Yum!

Ginny McMeans — November 17, 2014 at 9:38 pm

‘Shut up and just eat’ is always a good direction for me. Love where your mind goes!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — November 17, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Wowza! That is one gorgeous turkey!

Sarah Walker Caron (Sarah's Cucina Bella) — November 18, 2014 at 7:19 am

That turkey looks amazing! THE COLOR!

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — November 18, 2014 at 7:58 am

So what time is dinner? I’ll be over for some of this!

Melanie — November 18, 2014 at 9:13 pm

What a gorgeous bird. It looks like something out of Gourmet magazine. Perfection.

Nikki @ NikSnacks — November 19, 2014 at 3:38 pm

That is one beautiful bird! I love flavoring mayo and slathering it on things and roasting it! The addition of the orange and sage is so seasonal! You go, girl!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — November 21, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I’ve never been a huge mayo on my sandwich kinda girl but for some reason, slathered and roasted on a turkey sounds divine!

Joanne — November 22, 2014 at 10:14 am

this is actually the second mayo turkey I’ve seen this year! It must be a thing. A very good thing.

1. Pingback: Thanksgiving Recipe Round-Up