This African chicken peanut stew is packed full of chicken thighs, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and collard greens simmering in flavorful peanut butter and chicken stock broth. It’s deliciously spicy and best served over rice and sprinkled with cilantro and crushed peanuts. This dish is hearty, full of flavor, and ready in under an hour.
In just shy of 3 weeks we’ll back to Daylight Saving Time and I couldn’t be happier!
The winter feels so dreary and sad without all the sunlight. I couldn’t imagine living somewhere they never get sunlight. I’m pretty sure I would just sit in my house and cry all day if that was my life. I guess on the flipside after all that darkness you get all the sunlight. That seems like a positive.
BUT back to darkness and this soup. It’s perfect for dreary grey February days. It’s spicy, full of healthy vegetables, and can be made vegetarian if you’re not into the chicken.
Traditionally, African chicken peanut stew is spicy but if you’re not the biggest fan of heat you can always leave the pepper out of the soup.
It’s all about what works best for you when it comes to cooking.
Now, I know the addition of peanut butter sounds a little odd but I promise you this stew is very delicious.
It definitely has a slight peanut butter flavor but it’s not like eating a peanut butter sandwich in soup form with sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and collard greens. I PROMISE!
Also, I find that this soup works best with natural peanut butter. Listen, as much as I LOVE my JIF peanut butter this soup deserves the natural stuff.
I made this soup with collard greens but I also think Tuscan kale would be a great swap if you can’t find or don’t like collard greens.
Love this African chicken peanut stew?
Why not try a few of my other tasty soup and stew recipes?
- Instant Pot Asian chicken and rice soup
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Beef Stew
- chicken corn chowder
- vegan red curry pumpkin noodle soup
- Andouille corn chowder
- chicken avocado cilantro lime soup
- creamy red lentil carrot soup
- 20 minute seafood stew
- chicken and chard tortilla soup
- butternut squash minestrone soup
- spicy chicken lime soup
African Chicken Peanut Stew
This African chicken peanut stew is packed full of chicken thighs, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and collard greens simmering in flavorful peanut butter and chicken stock broth. It's deliciously spicy and best served over rice and sprinkled with cilantro and crushed peanuts. This dish is hearty, full of flavor, and ready in under an hour.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 serrano chili, minced, seeded
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 sweet potatoes, 1-inch dice
- 3 cups thinly sliced collard greens or Tuscan kale
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- White rice, cooked
- Minced peanuts, for topping
- Minced cilantro, for topping
- In a large soup pot add olive oil and set over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot add in the onion and minced chili. If you want your stew to be extra spicy leave the seeds in the pepper.
- Saute the onions and pepper until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and let it brown slightly. You don't need it to be fully cooked but you want it to get a little color, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic, tomato paste, grated ginger, cumin, and creamy peanut butter. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the chicken stock and diced sweet potatoes.
- Stir to combine, turn the heat down to medium, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the collard greens and chickpeas to the soup and let it simmer for about 5 minutes or until the collard greens are tender but still bright green.
- Serve the stew over white rice and topped with minced peanuts and minced cilantro.
If you don't like collard greens you could also use Tuscan kale.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 982Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 174mgSodium: 1725mgCarbohydrates: 86gFiber: 17gSugar: 20gProtein: 67g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Grenadian Chicken Stew - Nutmeg Nanny
Tuesday 28th of June 2022
[…] African Chicken Peanut Stew. […]
Instant Pot Pumpkin Beef Stew | Nutmeg Nanny
Friday 30th of October 2020
[…] African Chicken Peanut Stew […]
Sunday 18th of November 2018
I did your recipe in my instant pot. I reduced the liquid quantity to 2 cups and added ground coriander as well as cayenne (1 1/2 teaspoon). I also added peanuts (half a cup) and omited the collard greens and the chickpeas. Cooked on Manual for 9 minutes (5 minutes NR). It was really good !!!
Thursday 22nd of February 2018
serrano chili, love that you're bringing the heat, love the collard greens and peanut butter, how very creative, thank you for this recipe!
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert
Wednesday 21st of February 2018
So hungry for this!