These baked ground beef tacos are full of savory beef, yummy taco seasoning, Rotel tomatoes, garlic, and shredded cheese, and they are ready to feed your hungry crowd!
Got a hungry crowd to feed?
These baked ground beef tacos are easy to put together and such a crowd-pleaser for even the hungriest of tummies!
They’re full of delicious ground beef, taco seasoning, yummy Rotel, savory garlic and onion, and gooey shredded cheese.
Pop these tacos in the oven to crisp up the taco shells and melt the cheese, and you’ll have dinner ready in no time.
Get ready, because you’re going to love these baked ground beef tacos!
Ingredients for baked ground beef tacos
- Ground beef – Ground beef is packed with protein and is extra delicious in these tacos.
- Taco seasoning – Feel free to use your favorite homemade or store-bought variety.
- Rotel – Rotel is a mix of canned tomatoes, chiles, and spices that will add moisture and flavor to the tacos.
- Onion and garlic – Classic additions that will add earthiness to the dish.
- Shredded cheese – Feel free to use your favorite shredded cheese blend.
If you’re not a fan of ground beef, no worries!
Ground turkey or ground chicken would work well here, (I’ve even made a version of these, check out my baked ground chicken tacos).
If you’re looking to go completely meat-free, feel free to use your favorite ground meat substitute as well.
Making your own taco seasoning
Most store-bought taco seasonings are perfectly fine, but if you prefer to have control over the ingredients (whether it be to monitor levels of spice, or avoid certain allergies,) it’s super simple to make your own taco seasoning at home!
My favorite blend is 1 tbsp of chili powder, 1 tsp of cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, ½ tsp of oregano, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
This is a fairly mild blend, and not too spicy.
You’ll see I’ve left out salt, and that’s on purpose. I like to control the amount of salt separately in the dish.
Feel free to add other spices like ground chipotle powder, smoked paprika, or more or less crushed red pepper flakes as you see fit.
Have fun with your taco toppings!
Add green onions, cilantro, sliced (or pickled) jalapeños, sour cream, Mexican crema, or pickled red onions.
Storage and leftovers
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an air-tight container (though the crunchy shells may soften a bit).
To reheat them, place them covered in the oven (to help crisp the shells) for 5-10 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
More ground beef recipes
- Looking for a classic? Try my Classic Beef Meatloaf
- Love easy, one-pot dishes? Try my One Pot Stroganoff
- Craving some Mexican food? Try my Chipotle Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Want some pizza? Try my Beef Puttanesca Pizza
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, small dice
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and small dice
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 crunchy/hard corn taco shells
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- Shredded lettuce, for topping
- Pico de Gallo, for topping
- Set a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add ground beef, garlic, yellow onion, and green bell pepper.
- Cook until the beef is no longer pink and the vegetables just start to soften, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the fire-roasted tomatoes, green chiles, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, kosher salt, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
- Mix and saute until the juice has cooked down and the meat mixture is thick.
- Add taco shells to a 9x13 dish and fill each shell with an equal amount of ground beef taco filling.
- Top each taco with shredded cheese.
- Add to the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.
- Remove from the oven and top your tacos as desired.
- In the photos, they were topped with shredded lettuce and pico de Gallo.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 248mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 16g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.