This chicken coconut milk turmeric soup is warm and cozy with creamy coconut milk, protein-packed chicken, and earthy garlic and turmeric.
One of my favorite meals to tuck into on a cold night is a warm, cozy bowl of soup.
This chicken coconut milk turmeric soup is a perfect blend of aromatic veggies, tender chicken, hearty chickpeas, rice, and creamy coconut milk, all simmered together to create a bowl of pure warmth and flavor.
The turmeric gives the soup a beautiful golden color and adds a slight earthiness too.
This hearty soup will fill the hungriest of tummies and leave your friends and family happy and satisfied.
Trust me, after you try this chicken coconut milk turmeric soup, you’ll never go back to canned soups again.
Ingredients for chicken coconut milk turmeric soup
- Onion and garlic – These are classic ingredients that will add earthiness to the soup.
- Ginger – Ginger will add sweetness and a slight spice.
- Carrots – Carrots are a heart vegetable that will add a beautiful orange color and slight sweetness.
- Turmeric – Turmeric will add a warm, earthy flavor to the soup.
- Cooked chicken breast – Take help from the store with a premade rotisserie chicken to make this soup come together fast!
- Chicken stock – Feel free to use your favorite store-bought variety.
- Coconut milk – Coconut milk will add a luscious texture and creaminess to the soup.
- Cooked rice – A perfect addition that will add heartiness to the soup.
- Chickpeas – Chickpeas are another great source of protein and have a slightly nutty flavor.
- Kosher salt and black pepper – Salt and pepper are super important to help properly enhance all of the flavors of the soup.
Make it vegan
If you’re looking to make this dish meatless and/or vegan, it’s super simple!
Omit the chicken, and add extra chickpeas, or another type of favorite beans like kidney beans, black beans, or even lentils.
And replace the chicken stock with your favorite veggie stock!
What is turmeric?
Turmeric is a spice that is commonly used in Indian, Middle Eastern, and Southeast Asian cuisines.
It is made from the ground root of the turmeric plant, (which, fun fact, is a member of the ginger family).
It gives any dish it’s added to, a bright yellow color, and a warm, slightly bitter, and earthy flavor.
Turmeric can easily be found in the spice section of most major grocery stores.
Storage and leftovers
Any leftover chicken coconut milk turmeric soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply place them in a microwave-safe dish covered loosely with a damp paper towel and heat for 2-3 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
More soup recipes
- Craving a classic with a twist? Try my Instant Pot Turkey Noodle Soup
- Looking for something healthy and vegan? Try my Vegetable Gnocchi Soup
- Love a smooth and creamy soup? Try my Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Want something Mexican-inspired? Try my Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded, sliced or diced
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (13 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro, for topping
- In a 6-quart soup pot add coconut oil and set over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot add the red bell pepper, onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, kosher salt, and crushed red pepper.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Add in the chicken and continue cooking for a few more minutes or until the chicken just starts to change color, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the chicken stock and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add in the coconut milk, chickpeas, and rice.
- Simmer for 5 minutes to help the flavors combine and help the soup come back up to temperature.
- Serve topped with minced cilantro.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 722Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 968mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 51g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.