This slow cooker taco soup is packed with lean ground beef, fire-roasted tomatoes, ranch, and taco seasonings, and is ready to feed a hungry crowd!
Dinner is definitely not on anyone’s mind on Halloween! Between handing out goodies, or dressing up for parties, no one is going to want to stand at the stove all night.
I’m a huge fan of slow cooker soups, like my slow cooker beef chorizo taco chili!
This slow cooker taco soup is the perfect dinner to come home to after a spooktacular evening.
It’s got something for everyone: corn, black beans, kidney beans, taco and ranch seasonings, lean ground beef, smoky fire-roasted tomatoes, and more!
Trust me, after a long night of celebrating Halloween, coming home to this slow cooker taco soup is totally eerie-sistible!
Craving a similar soup but made with chicken? Try this easy chicken taco soup!
Ingredients for slow cooker taco soup
- Ground beef – Ground beef is packed with protein and is extra delicious in this soup.
- Taco seasoning – Feel free to use your favorite homemade or store-bought variety.
- Rotel – Rotel is a mix of canned tomatoes, chiles, and spices that will add moisture and flavor to the soup.
- Diced green chiles – Diced green chiles will add a slightly spicy kick to our soup.
- Beans – I’ve used a combination of black and kidney beans here, but if you prefer one over the other, feel free to use your favorite.
- Fire roasted tomatoes – These fire-roasted diced tomatoes will add a hint of smokiness to our soup.
- Yellow onion – A classic ingredient that will add earthiness and sweetness.
- Ranch seasoning – Feel free to use your favorite homemade or store-bought variety.
- Lime juice – Fresh is best! The lime juice will add brightness and freshness to the soup when it’s served.
Making your own taco seasoning
Most store-bought taco seasonings are perfectly fine, but if you prefer to have control over the ingredients (whether it be to monitor levels of spice, or avoid certain allergies,) it’s super simple to make your own taco seasoning at home!
My favorite blend is 1 tbsp of chili powder, 1 tsp of cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika, ½ tsp of oregano, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
This is a fairly mild blend, and not too spicy.
You’ll see I’ve left out salt, and that’s on purpose. I like to control the amount of salt separately in the dish.
Feel free to add other spices like ground chipotle powder, or smoked paprika, or more or less crushed red pepper flakes as you see fit.
Making a little toppings bar ahead of time is a great way to get guests to interact when you’re having a party!
Some of my favorite topping offerings are: sour cream (or Mexican crema,) diced white onions, cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced avocado, corn chips, or sliced jalapeños.
You can prepare the little bowls of toppings the day before, and keep them covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator.
When you’re ready to serve the soup, just bring out the bowls and uncover them for your guests to go wild!
Storage and leftovers
Any leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To reheat, simply place in a microwave-safe bowl and cover loosely with a paper towel, and heat for 3-4 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
More slow cooker recipes
- Looking for something rich and hearty? Try my Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup.
- Want something sweet and spicy? Try my Slow Cooker Honey Sriracha Pulled Chicken.
- Need a warm drink for the adults? Try my Slow Cooker Spiced Mulled Wine.
- Love all things pumpkin? Try my Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dry Ranch seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Set as 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef and onion and cook until no longer pink. Break up the meat as it cooks.
- Drain the beef of any fat.
- Add the beef and all the ingredients EXCEPT the lime juice to a slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Add the lid to the slow cooker and cook for 4-6 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- Right before serving stir in the lime juice.
- If the chili is too thick add in a bit more stock to thin it out.
- Serve plain or topped with your choice of toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 813mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 32g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.