This classic chocolate chip banana bread is a delicious spin on a family favorite. Sweet ripe bananas turned into a soft quick bread and studded with dark chocolate chips. Trust me, your whole family will love this bread!
If you’re looking for a classic quick bread recipe I have you covered with this easy-to-make chocolate chip banana bread!
It’s soft and moist and studded with dark chocolate chips that help cut through the sweetness of the ripe bananas.
I love serving my bread room temperature and slathered with butter while my husband is a huge fan of toasting the banana bread until warm, slathering it with butter, and then drizzling it with honey.
Trust me, any way you eat this bread you’ll LOVE IT!
This bread is simple to make and even easier to eat!
Ingredients for chocolate chip banana bread
- Mashed ripe banana – You’ll want to make sure to use ripe soft bananas for optimal flavor and sweetness. 1 cup mashed banans is roughly 3 medium sized mashed bananas.
- Melted butter – I like to use unsalted butter so that way I can control the exact flavor in the bread by adding kosher salt later.
- Brown sugar – This will help bring sweetness to the bread and you can use light or dark brown sugar, whichever you have on hand. I love dark brown because that extra burst of molasses flavor really makes me happy.
- Egg – This helps bind the bread together.
- Vanilla extract – I like to use vanilla to help enhance the flavor of the bread.
- All purpose flour – Flour gives the bread structure. I really liked King Arthur Flour.
- Baking soda – This help your bread turnout light and fluffy by helping it rise!
- Kosher salt – just a pinch to make the flavors burst and really shine!
- Dark chocolate chips – I really love using darker chocolate chips becuase it cuts throuhg the sweetness of hte bananas. If you don’t have any dark chocolate chips you can use semisweet.
What is banana bread?
Simply put banana bread is a quick bread made from ripe bananas.
It’s more “cake-like” bread versus a yeasted sandwich bread.
It’s sweet, moist, very soft, and makes for a great addition to a breakfast spread.
My favorite unique banana bread is my Sourdough Discard Banana Bread recipe I made last year. It’s so good and a great use for sourdough discard.
Can I make changes to this recipe?
While you don’t want to make too many changes here are a few that will work in the recipe written as-is:
- Toasted nuts – I really like this bread with just chocolate chips but you could easily add 1/2 cup toasted nuts of your choosing. I think walnuts or pecans work best with the flavors.
- White chocolate chips – going for something totally different? Use white chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate. The result will be sweeter but you just might want that!
- Spices – Want a hint of warmth? Why not try putting in a little sprinke of cinnamon.
Can you freeze banana bread?
You’ll want to make sure to wrap the loaf in plastic wrap and then in foil.
If I have a large enough freezer-safe ziptop bag I will then put it into the bag, and freeze it for up to 3 months for optimal flavor.
To defrost just take it out of the freezer and let it defrost at room temperature.
Love this chocolate chip banana bread?
Why not try a few of my other delicious banana bread recipes?
- Looking for a really unique quick bread recipe? Try my Sourdough Discard Banana Bread.
- Craving a cake crossed with bread? Try my Carrot Cake Banana Bread.
- Want a totally different spin to the classic crisp dessert? Try my Banana Bread Crisp.
- This is my most favorite banana bread! Try my Coconut Rum Lime Glazed Banana Bread.
- Need a yogurt topping? Try my Banana Bread Granola.
- 1 cup mashed rip banana, about 3 medium sized bananas
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper and spray it lightly with nonstick baking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, melted butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and kosher salt. Mix just until no large lumps remain.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold them in gently.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and top with additional chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to sit on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Then, remove the bread from the pan and allow it to cool to room temperature before slicing.
- Store any leftover banana bread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 3gSugar: 25gProtein: 5g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.