These garlic parmesan air fryer french fries are perfectly crisp and packed with tons of garlic parmesan flavor. They are super easy to make and make a tasty side dish!
It took me forever to finally break down and buy an air fryer.
I know they are all the rage but I just didn’t want another appliance. My kitchen doesn’t have a ton of storage and I’m not a fan of having a lot of stuff on my counter.
However, I came to my senses and now I’m playing catch up so I can eat all the delicious air fryer goodies!
First up are these FLAVOR PACKED garlic parmesan air fryer french fries.
Talk about flavor!
They turn out super crispy and the grated Parmesan garlic mixture gives me a big burst of flavor.
If you’re looking for the perfect burger side dish or just a big bowl of french fries this recipe is just what you need!
Plus, it goes great dipped in my Homemade Fry Sauce!
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is basically a tabletop convection oven.
It mimics the outcome of a deep fat fryer but without the use of oil. Hot hair is moved around via a fan that quickly and crisply cooks up the food.
The 2 most common air fryers you’ll see are basket style (that is what I have) or convection/toaster oven style. There are pluses to both but I personally prefer my basket style.
Making this recipe in the oven
You can make these fries in the oven but you will have to change the temperature and cooking time.
You’ll want to cook the fries for 20 minutes at 375 degrees F, give them a toss, and cook for another 20 minutes at 400 degrees F.
This is obviously a rough estimate of times but that should give you a good guideline on how long to cook.
Always make sure to cook the french fries in a single layer.
Soaking the potatoes before frying
Although it’s easy to want to skip the step of soaking french fries it’s a really crucial step.
Yes, french fries will turn out of you skip this step but why do that when you know soaking will result in perfectly crisp french fries?
The reason you soak freshly cut french fries is that it helps remove the excess potato starch to create a super crunchy french fry. It also helps so the french fry won’t brown too quickly.
At a minimum make sure to soak for 15 minutes but I like to try and soak for at least 30 minutes.
Tips for making air fryer french fries
I just talked about the importance of soaking in water so please don’t skip that step. That is the biggest tip to help you have super crispy french fries.
And who doesn’t want super crispy fries?
It’s also important to help cut the french fries in the same size slices. This will help to ensure all the french fries are fully cooked at the same time.
You can do this by using a mandoline or your chef’s knife.
Reheating air fryer french fries
It’s a rarity that I ever have leftover french fries but just in case you possess more willpower than I do you’ll want to reheat them for 5 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Just make sure you are cooking them in one single layer. If there is some overlapping make sure to toss the fries in the basket halfway through cooking time.
More air fryer recipes
- Looking for more potato recipes? Try my Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Craving veggies? Try my Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Love that garlic parmesan combo? Try my Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Need more appetizers in your life? Try my Air Fryer Pizza Hot Pockets
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Slice the potatoes into 1/4 inch matchsticks.
- Place the cut fries in the ice water while you slice the rest of the potatoes.
- Allow the fries to rest in the ice water for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat your air fryer to 360 degrees F for at least 5 minutes.
- Drain the fries from the water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Toss the fries with olive oil and kosher salt.
- Place in the air fryer and cook at 360 degrees F for 7minutes.
- Toss the fries, making sure none of them have stuck to the bottom.
- Turn the heat up to 400 degrees F and cook for an additional 7-10 minutes, or until the fries reach your desired doneness.
- Remove the fries from the air fryer and toss them with the parmesan cheese and garlic powder.
- If you’d like to keep the fries warm, place them on a sheet pan and put them in a 225 degree F oven for up to 1 hour.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 390mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.