This green curry chicken noodle soup is a delicious blend of chicken, vegetables, and green curry flavors in a creamy coconut milk broth.
Looking for a hearty, warming, satisfying soup?
This green curry chicken noodle soup hits all the right spots!
With fragrant green curry paste and lemongrass, smooth and rich coconut milk, delicious veggies, cooked noodles, and tender shredded chicken, this Thai-inspired soup is perfectly balanced.
By taking some help from the store, by using pre-made curry paste and a rotisserie chicken, this heavenly soup comes together in no time!
Whether you’re a fan of spicy foods, or just looking for a comforting meal on a chilly day, this chicken green curry soup is sure to become a favorite.
Ingredients for chicken green curry soup
- Coconut oil – This is the fat of choice for our soup that will impart some coconut flavor.
- Onions and garlic – Classic additions that will bring an earthiness to our soup.
- Bell peppers – I’ve chosen red and yellow, but feel free to use your favorite varieties.
- Green curry paste – This can be found easily in the international foods aisle of the grocery store!
- Fresh ginger – Fresh is best! It will give us a sweet and spicy flavor.
- Lemongrass paste – Lemongrass is sweet and fragrant.
- Fish sauce – Fish sauce will add a layer of umami to our soup.
- Brown sugar – Brown sugar adds a slight sweetness.
- Chicken stock – Feel free to use homemade or store-bought varieties.
- Coconut milk – Coconut milk is smooth and sweet, and will give a nice coconut flavor to our soup.
- Lime juice – Lime juice is bright and will bring freshness and enhance the flavors of the soup.
- Cooked chicken – Take help from the grocery store with a delicious rotisserie chicken found in the deli section!
- Cooked noodles – Feel free to use whatever cooked Asian rice noodles or even spaghetti noodles for this soup. Cooked ramen noodles would work well here too!
- Cilantro – Cilantro is herbaceous, bold, and slightly minty.
- Green onions – Green onions will give a subtle onion flavor on top.
- Sriracha – Sriracha adds a sweet and spicy finish to our soup.
What is green curry paste?
Green curry paste is an aromatic condiment that is full of flavor!
It’s usually a combination of ground-up green chiles, shrimp paste, onions, garlic, lemongrass, galangal, and coriander root.
It’s easily found in most major grocery stores in the international foods aisle, online, and at Asian grocery stores.
You can find my favorite green curry paste at Asian grocery stores or even on Amazon!
What to serve?
This chicken green curry soup is delicious and served over noodles.
However, if you’re not in the mood for noodles you can easily turn this noodle soup into a chicken and rice soup with the addition of jasmine rice.
Best noodles to use
I like to make my life a million times easier by buying precooked Asian-style noodles right in my grocery store! Here are a few different options to help you narrow down what will work for you and your family:
- These pre-cooked noodles are a lifesaver!
- Want a ramen-style noodle that is healthier? Try these baked, not friend ramen noodles!
- Have dried noodles on hand and want to use those? Just cook them while you’re soup cooks.
You can make this chicken green curry soup and freeze it in batches for up to 3 months, so whenever you’re craving a comforting soup, it’ll be ready for you!
Cook as directed (omitting the rice noodles) cool to room temp, and store in freezer-safe containers.
To heat from frozen, place the frozen chicken green curry soup container in the refrigerator overnight to thaw, and then heat on the stove in a pot until boiling.
More soup recipes
- Love using your Instant Pot? Try my Instant Pot Turkey Noodle Soup
- Craving tacos? Try my Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Need something hearty? Try my Healthy French Lentil Soup
- Love a creamy soup full of nutrients? Try my Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons green curry paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 pound pulled rotissorie chicken
- 8 ounces cooked noodles
- Minced cilantro, for topping
- Minced Thai basil, for topping
- Chopped green onion, for topping
- Sirarcha, for topping
- In a soup pot add the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is melted add the bell peppers and onions. Cook until the onions are translucent and starting to soften about 5 minutes.
- Add in the curry paste, brown sugar, ginger, lemongrass, garlic, and fish sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour in the chicken stock and coconut milk and stir to combine.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes to help soften the bell peppers and meld the flavors together.
- Add in the cooked chicken and let simmer for another 5 minutes to just help warm up the chicken.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice.
- To serve, divide the noodles between 4 bowls and spoon the soup over the noodles.
- Top with desired toppings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 633Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 1124mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 37g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.