These honey garlic chicken bowls are full of lean, protein-packed chicken breast, sweet honey, garlic, and soy sauce.
Chicken breast is a great source of lean protein, but it can be bland and boring without the right recipe.
These honey garlic chicken bowls pack a punch of flavor with sweet and sticky honey, yummy garlic, and savory soy sauce.
It’s the perfect flavor combination of sweet and savory, and there’s no bland chicken in sight!
Served on top of fluffy rice, these honey garlic chicken bowls come together in a snap, which makes it perfect for any weeknight dinner.
Next time you’re considering takeout, make these honey garlic chicken bowls instead!
Ingredients for honey garlic chicken bowls
- Boneless skinless chicken breast – Chicken breast is great at absorbing flavors that are paired with it, and is lean and packed full of protein!
- Flour – Flour helps coat the chicken to develop a crust, and also thickens the sauce while it cooks.
- Honey – Honey will add sweetness and also help create a thick glaze for our chicken.
- Garlic – Garlic is a classic ingredient that will give our dish a savory and earthy flavor.
- Soy sauce – Soy sauce adds a salty and savory component to our chicken.
My favorite way to serve these honey garlic chicken bowls is over some delicious, fluffy, jasmine rice, but some other great options are:
- Brown rice
- Cauliflower rice
- Over a bed of store-bought salad blend topped with an Asian-inspired dressing
I love to garnish this honey garlic chicken with basil, green onions, sesame seeds, or all three! The different textures and flavors make these bowls even tastier!
Using other proteins
I’ve used chicken breast here because it’s lean and it has tons of protein, but these honey garlic chicken bowls work beautifully with chicken thighs, shrimp, or even tofu!
Making this gluten-free
If you’re in need of a gluten-free alternative, there are some gluten-free soy sauces available at grocery stores (just make sure you double-check the ingredients,) and swap out the flour coating for corn starch.
Storage and leftovers
Any leftovers of these honey garlic chicken bowls can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply place in a microwave-safe dish and heat for 2-3 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
More delicious chicken recipes
- Need something low carb? Try my Ground Chicken Fajita Spaghetti Squash
- Love all things sweet and savory? Try my Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Want a delicious lunch idea? Try my Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
- Craving something creamy? Try my Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 medium cloves)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- Green onion, for topping
- Sesame seeds, for topping
- Place the cubed chicken breast and flour in a large bowl (or bag) and toss until the chicken is fully coated with flour.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet set over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken in a single layer.
- Cook the chicken for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally.
- When the chicken is cooked through, add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Next whisk together the honey, water, and soy sauce.
- Add the sauce to the pan and stir to coat the chicken.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until it is bubbling and thick.
- Serve immediately overtop rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.